Insidious Insight spell.......WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emanresu

First Post
[h=2]Insidious Insight[/h](Races of Eberron, p. 187)

Divination [Mind-Affecting]
Level:Bard 2, Sorcerer 2, Wizard 2,
Components:V,
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

The gnomes of Zilargo use knowledge of any sort as leverage to ensure that their negotiations and social interactions lead to a preferred outcome. Gnome spellcasters developed the insidious insight spell for just this purpose, turning the inner feelings and desires of opposing creatures against them.While this spell is in effect, you gain great insight into the target creature's secret motivations and desires, granting you a +10 insight bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks made against it.-Special:_ Gnome spellcasters cast this spell at +1 caster level.

IS IT JUST ME? IS THIS A TYPO? I stumpled across this considering taking a 2 level dip into unseen seer for a evil Beguiler build and I think I struck gold...

has anybody used this spell before? How has it eluded me all this time?
I just thought if you didnt know of it that maybe you should, I still think its a misprint 1 day/level
Eman

the Jester

Legend
I doubt whether that's a typo, but I certainly think it's very overpowered for a second level spell, between the magnitude of the bonus and the duration. I wouldn't allow it in my campaign.

Ahnehnois

First Post
It's tough to see how it would actually be used. Given the target and range parameters, your quarry would almost certainly know that you were casting the spell before its benefit kicked in, and the creature would probably attack you, depending on context. Even with a +10 bonus, stopping that fight is going to be difficult. And then there's the will negates.

And yet, if you did deploy it successfully somehow, it would be extremely powerful. Not a really well-written spell.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's tough to see how it would actually be used. Given the target and range parameters, your quarry would almost certainly know that you were casting the spell before its benefit kicked in, and the creature would probably attack you, depending on context. Even with a +10 bonus, stopping that fight is going to be difficult. And then there's the will negates.

And yet, if you did deploy it successfully somehow, it would be extremely powerful. Not a really well-written spell.
I assume it'd be used in a scenario where it's either Meta-Magiced up, stuck in a wand or where other gnomes would provide cover of some sort, magical or otherwise.

Outside of combat situations, it's ludicrously overpowered.

Cyberen

First Post
Is it that worse than Charm Person, though ?
Imo, it just illustrates how dysfunctional the spell list of old is. It's even worse since it has met the splatbook treadmill.

Celebrim

Legend
I'm inclined to disallow any spell that replaces a skill, much less one that replaces multiple skills. I don't think that the spell is as overpowered as some think, because the single target restriction basically means that this is charm person moved into the divination school. And the +10 bonus is large but still within the range of reason - you spend a skill slot to become slightly better than the skill monkey versus a single target. Still, I don't think I'd allow this as written. Charm person is right on the border as it is. I might allow it with a +5 bonus though.

Last edited:

emanresu

First Post
I dont think a caster would stand next to somebody and cast just to make sure they get a smack, rather I think this would of been cast a day or 2 earlier in preparation. The "single target" does not refer to others just the recipient of the spells effects. I say this because ...

"I don't think that the spell is as overpowered as some thing, because the single target restriction basically means that this is charm person moved into the divination school."

eman

MarkB

Legend

The duration is ridiculous. You could quite easily cast it whilst disguised, beat a hasty and apologetic retreat, then return a few days later with the spell still in effect.

Alternatively, pre-cast Glibness on yourself, then cast it at someone and apologise, saying that you weren't casting a spell at all, just practising an incantation. With your +40 bonus to Bluff checks to convince them of your sincerity, you could have a Charisma of 1 and they'll still believe anything you tell them.

Remove ads