• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight bonus cost

HEL Pit Fiend

First Post
Crothian said:
That might be a little on the cheap side

Referring to my 6 million gp quote, I think you are correct. No magic item in ANY of the core books gives a universal +x bonus to-hit, usable for any weapon. Actually a magic item that has a universal +10 bonus to-hit (be it insight, luck, or whatever) is game-breaking for anyone under 20th or even 25th.

I would rule it at 10 million gp, that sounds about right. :)

HEL Pit Fiend said:
I would rule it at 10 million gp, that sounds about right. :)

That sounds reasonable...+10 to all attacks with any weapon...that just screams ultimate power if you ask me. I can barely see it NOT as an Epic item.
:)

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Tongs of the armourer, Hammer of the Weaponsmith & Knife of the Bowyer: +10 circumstance bonus to various checks, all 2055gp.

I'm not saying it should be as inexpensive as that, but it shouldn't be prohibitably expensive.

A Weapon Enhancement bonus is Bonus Squared x 2x000gp
however: a weapon enhancement bonus applies to damage as well BUT a weapon enhancement bonus applies to only one weapon as well.

10 x 10 x 2,000gp = 200,000gp

A Luck bonus is Bonus Squared x 2,500gp
A Luck bonus might be closer.
10 x 10 x 2,500 = 250,000gp

A True Strike spell grants a +20 insight bonus to hit for one attack only. Say we make it a use activated spell:

spell level x caster level x 2,000gp
1 x 18 x 2,000gp= 36,000

Demon Knight

First Post
Attack bonus squared x 2500 x 10 gp

Total comes to 2.5 million gp.

Compared to other items of similar cost:

Amulet of natural armor +12: 2.4 million gp
Bracers of Epic Armor +16: 2.56 million gp
+11 weapon: 2.4 million gp

The +10 insight bonus to attack is much more powerful then those items. I suggest a minimum market price of 5 million gp, and personally, I would price it at 10 million gp.

kreynolds

First Post
I emailed CS (and I think the Sage too) about this once. They suggested pricing it as a luck bonus as well.

Demon Knight said:
Sorry, I dont usually read past the first post to keep my opinion impartial.

Don't you mean unedjucated? :p

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
thatdarncat said:
Tongs of the armourer, Hammer of the Weaponsmith & Knife of the Bowyer: +10 circumstance bonus to various checks, all 2055gp.
Those all give bonuses to Craft skills. A +skill item is far, far less expensive than an item that grants a combat bonus.

I'm not saying it should be as inexpensive as that, but it shouldn't be prohibitably expensive.
Yes it should. It's better than an item that casts true strike once per round as a free action, which is unarguably b0rken.

In a standard, CR-equivalent encounter, a +10 to hit means the fighter's first two attacks will always hit (except on a 1). Compare to something that grants true strike once per round, which will turn only one attack into an autohit.

Just like the true strike item, it's clearly unbalancing. Its abilities must be offset by a truly massive cost, or disallowed altogether.

spell level x caster level x 2,000gp[...]
That is just a guideline, and is for the DM's use only. The DM uses that as a starting point to figure out a fair market price for new items. It cannot be taken as gospel; the use-activated true strike item is the canonical example of an unbalanced price. If you think about it, I'm sure you can see why.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Maybe another way to figure it out.

+10 to attacks means +20 to str or +20 to dex.

An item that gives +20 to str (or to dex) would cost (corrected)

20^2X1000 or 400,000gp

Now, since you only benefit from the bonus to hit (and not to damage (str) or AC (dex)) perhaps we could slash the price in half, for a whopping (for the non-epic people) 200,000gp.

Maitre D

Last edited:

Remove ads