• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's Histhaven - IC

tiornys

Explorer
Markal tenders greetings

At first disconcerted by the nature of his arrival here, Markal quickly returns to his normal self as he notices the presence of strangers. Nudging Erasmus to accompany him, he strides forward confidently, calling out to the others. Greetings, good sirs, milady. I am Markal, son of Baron Jorath of Bradmoor. To Aleksy, he adds, Delighted to meet you! The Vistani are known for their ability to divine secrets. We'll have need of you, I think.

Markal turns to Penny and Carric, his demeanor growing more serious. I'm afraid the Gray Lady told us little else--only that we were now bound to this domain, and that we held the power within ourselves to change that fate. I do not know if she spoke merely of myself and Erasmus, here indicating the man he arrived with, or if she meant all of us. I'm inclined to think the latter.

Insight

Adventurer
As your minds struggle to adjust to your changed surroundings...

[sblock=ALEKSEY KHALENDROS]Aleksey feels paranoid.

"I can see it in your eyes. You're all out to kill me. You want my treasure, don't you?"

You take a -2 penalty to Will until you overcome this despair effect.[/sblock]
[sblock=CARRIC]Carric feels delusional.

"You guys take the grunts. Leave the dragon to me."

You take a -2 penalty to AC until you overcome this despair effect. This card is NOT discarded as part of an extended rest.[/sblock]
[sblock=ERASMUS]Erasmus is trembling.

"Steady... steady... steady."

You take a -1 penalty to attack rolls until you overcome this despair effect.[/sblock]
[sblock=MARKAL]Markal feels covetous.

"It's mine. I called it. Or maybe I didn't - but it's still mine!"

Until you overcome this despair effect, you cannot flank an enemy.[/sblock]
[sblock=PENNY WHISTLER]Penny is scared stiff.

"Maybe it won't notice me..."

You cannot shift while adjacent to an enemy larger than yourself until you overcome this despair effect.[/sblock]

OOC: These are manifestations of the DESPAIR DECK cards that come with the Shadowfell boxed set. Each of you has a different card to deal with. You get new cards after each extended rest. Some cards expire when you rest; others don't (meaning you can have more than one effect at a time). The remainder of the mechanics will be revealed during play.

Cor Azer

First Post
Aleksey

"I... ," The vistani pauses, wondering how much he should open up to these people. Have I told them too much already? "I... I don't recall..."

They already know she spoke to me; best not lie and stoke their fears of the vistani.

"She gave me no other knowledge. I bear the Lord's curse, but have the power within to break it if I can find allies." Trustworthy ones; not those out to sabotage my fate.

OOC: We need to learn how to overcome these despair cards through play? Is there any way to detect outside influences on Us? Insight or Arcana, perhaps?

Insight

Adventurer
OOC: We need to learn how to overcome these despair cards through play? Is there any way to detect outside influences on Us? Insight or Arcana, perhaps?

OOC: Yeah. Initially, anyway. As your characters travel in the Shadowfell, you will start to recognize the same effects as they happen. The actual mechanics of getting rid of the effects are kinda wonky, so I am going to try to weave them into the flow of play.

Your characters know that some influence is causing these effects, but right now, they aren't sure how to deal with them. Some interaction amongst yourselves might reveal something.

Last edited:

tiornys

Explorer
Markal

Markal looks around, then says, Well, let's be off. There must be a settlement of some kind around here. We have secrets to find... treasure to unearth.... he trails off with a faraway look in his eyes, rubbing his hands together.

Walking Dad

First Post
Carric

Carric thinks a bit before saying: "He is called a lord, so he will have underlings. Looking for a settlement sounds the way to go.

[sblock=OOC]

[sblock=Quick Sheet]
Carric
Perception: 21 Insight: 23 Low-lightl Vision
AC 23 (21) Fortitude 18 Reflex 18 Will 19
Initiative: +4
Hit Points: 44 / 44 Bloodied: 22
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: 5 necrotic
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: 0.0
Healing Surge: 11 Surges per day: 10 / 10
At-Will Powers: Death's Shadow, Tenebrous Blessing
Encounter Powers: Healing Word 2/2, Hand of Radiance, Shining Symbol, Smite Undead / Stay the Hand of Death, Inevitable Doom, Eye of the Vulture, Death Surge
Daily Powers: Moment of Glory, Blackened Soul, Iron to Glass

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Cor Azer

First Post
Aleksey

Settlements mean people... But I can't really trust them, can I?

"Yes, a town or village..." He stares off into the distance, byt keeps everyone in the corner of his eye. "Anyone see trees or the like? A settlement would likely be near such -"

Aleksey suddenly snaps his gaze to Carric. "Wait, you knew this place was Histhaven! How did you know that? Are you involved with our predicament? Do yiu know where we are? Where we should go?"

Shayuri

First Post
"Please," grumped the halfling, "The Raven Queen SAID this was Histhaven and that our souls, blah blah blah." She flapped her right hand as if it was a blabbering mouth.

"She didn't say which way to go, but since we're here to do her dirty work I expect it can't be far."

She snapped a finger and pointed at the tallest person present. "Lemme get up on your shoulders and have a look around."

tiornys

Explorer
Markal acquiesces

Markal raises an eye, glances around, shrugs, and gets down on one knee to make it easier for the imperious halfling to climb on.

OOC: So, my Athletics aiding Penny's Perception? edit: ooof, not a good start

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Settlements mean people... But I can't really trust them, can I?

"Yes, a town or village..." He stares off into the distance, byt keeps everyone in the corner of his eye. "Anyone see trees or the like? A settlement would likely be near such -"

Aleksey suddenly snaps his gaze to Carric. "Wait, you knew this place was Histhaven! How did you know that? Are you involved with our predicament? Do yiu know where we are? Where we should go?"

All of the assembled heroes can see that the gray, dead field is surrounded by withered trees. It seems that the field is perhaps an acre in size, perhaps an acre and a half. There are no obvious landmarks within view.

The heroes also notice a gray, murky sky, with no sun visible. It could be dawn, it could be dusk. The temperature is very... mild. No wind. It is eerily silent.

Remove ads