Insight's Histhaven - IC

Insight

Adventurer
INTO THE DOMAIN OF DREAD
Evil has no age. The only death it knows is long, slow, and lingering. Long after a wrong is avenged or a villain slain, evil twists in the heart, rotting from within - it cannot easily be destroyed and forgotten.

Though the Shadowfell is not evil by its nature, it does collect those of dark thoughts and deeds and embrace them. Misty tendrils of the Shadowfell seep into all worlds and all times, seeking the truly depraved and cruel and setting them up as dark lords. The Shadowfell bequeaths unto each dark lord an isolated domain that bends to his dark desires, but that also serves as the dark lord's prison.

HISTHAVEN, also known as the Withered Lands, is one such domain, ruled by the self-deluded tyrant LORD ARTIUS and plagued by the constant assault of a wretched avenger known as the RAG MAN. This undead warrior defies all attempts to stay his rage, returning night after night to murder and destroy in a never-ending quest to rid Histhaven of the Count. Eventually - inevitably - they confront each other in a mighty bout of bloodshed. If the Rag Man is slain, he reappears during the next new moon to exact revenge. In the meantime, sickness and blight continue to spread across the domain, heralding the Rag Man's return. If Artius is slain, he is quickly reborn, and Histhaven enjoys an all-too-brief period of renewal. The reprieve might last weeks or months, but, inevitably, the Rag Man returns. Terror grips the domain once more as the conflict between Count Artius and the Rag Man begins anew.

This is the In-Character (IC) thread for my Histhaven game. All "in-character" discussions and game play should take place here. See the OOC Thread (Out-of-Character) for discussions of the mechanics of the game. See the RG Thread (Rogues Gallery) for the most recent versions of the Player Characters.

As play begins, following are the main characters of this story:

ALEKSEY KHALENDROS, Human Wizard - Cor Azer
CARRIC, Half-Elf Cleric - Walking Dad
ERASMUS, Human Avenger - Goken100
MARKAL, Human Paladin - tiornys
PENNY WHISTLER, Halfling Warlock - Shayuri

As play begins, all characters find themselves in Histhaven under whatever circumstance brought them to the Withered Lands. The characters are somehow tied to the Withered Lands and cannot be freed until the Dread Lord of Histhaven is freed from his own curse. The main focus of this game will be for the Player Characters to discover how to end the curse and free themselves from the domain.

[sblock=Alexsey]Aleksey Khalendros had followed a clan of Vistani wanderers for some time, often without understanding the need for such wanton and irrational travel. Still, the wizard learned much from these travelers and enjoyed their company - and the feeling seemed to be mutual.

It was shocking, then, when Aleksey woke up one morning in the middle of a road that was unfamiliar to him. It was overcast; Aleksey could not see the sun. He did not see any landmarks he recognized. Without a sense of direction or familiarity with his surrounding, Aleksey decided to start to his left (as he laid there) and continue along the dirt road.

As he continued, seemingly walking without end in that same direction, Aleksey suddenly found himself in a bank of gray fog that had a sickeningly greasy texture to it. The wizard lost all sense of his direction and had no choice but to continue walking.

Suddenly, the fog cleared. Aleksey found himself in a gray field of dead grass. A floating woman, enveloped in silver light, appeared before Aleksey.

"Greetings, mortal. I am known as the Raven Queen. You have been brought here, to the Withered Lands, under circumstances most unfortunate. Your soul is now tied to this place. Histhaven is a land cursed with a Dread Lord and his curse is now yours to bear. You must break this curse in order to free yourself. Find allies and use the power you find within yourself to end this.

The woman vanished, leaving Aleksey alone to consider his fate.[/sblock]

[sblock=Carric]Carric had long served the Raven Queen with distinction. Joining the Winter Legion at an early age, the half-elf had enjoyed much success and eventually rose through the ranks to lead a small cadre of priests and other servitors in the Raven Queen's constant war against followers of Orcus and the undead.

Carric learned that a hated priest of Orcus, Votorgun, had holed up in a ruined wizard's tower in the Cairngorm Peaks and was threatening to raid nearby Winterhaven. Carric led his followers into the tower and dispatched the evil priest's undead minions as well as the arcane traps and wards left over from the wizard who once ruled the tower. Carric followed Votorgun below ground, into the tower's substructure. There, Carric faced off with the evil priest. Carric nearly defeated Votorgun when the evil priest activated and jumped into a black portal. carric had no choice but to follow the priest into the portal.

Carric awoke to find no Votorgun. Instead, Carric was laying in a gray field of dead grass and mud mires. Appearing before the priest was the Raven Queen herself.

"Faithful servant, I have news for you. Your soul has been consigned to this place, a domain of dread known as Histhaven or the Withered Lands. This place is cursed by a Dread Lord, who is fated to face his enemy nightly. Until this curse is ended, you and this Dread Lord will not leave Histhaven. My servant, you must find within yourself the power to end this curse and free the people of Histhaven."

The Raven Queen vanished, leaving Carric alone to consider his new place.[/sblock]

[sblock=Markal and Erasmus]Markal recently joined Erasmus in their efforts to raid the ruined tombs known as the Guardamon Crypts. During the most recent of these explorations, Markal and Erasmus found themselves separated from their hirelings. Lost and disoriented in the darkening tunnels, Markal and Erasmus were soon set upon by foul wraiths. Nearly drained of their very souls, the two adventurers escaped, but the wraiths gave chase. Markal and Erasmus continued through the maze-like tunnels below the Guardamon Crypts but ran right into the same wraiths they had been fleeing. The wraiths sucked the rest of the life out of the two men, but death did not come for them..

Markal and Erasmus awoke in a gray field of dead grass. They were alive but uncertain of their location. Appearing before the adventurers was a floating woman enveloped in silver energy.

"Greeting, mortals. I am known as the Raven Queen, and death is my domain. Your souls should be forfeit, but I have decided on a different fate for you. There is a certain power within your souls and I have sent you here, to Histhaven, on a quest to break the curse on this dread domain. The ruler of this domain is cursed to face his hated enemy over and over, in a curse that cannot be broken - or so it is believed. Your fate is now tied to the dread lord. It will be your task to end this curse and in doing so, free yourselves. Find allies and use the power within you to end what cannot be ended."

The Raven Queen vanished, leaving Markal and Erasmus to consider their situation.[/sblock]

[sblock=Penny]Penny Whistler long ago embraced dark powers, but only understood a fraction of the power at her command. During her travels on the King's Road through the Harken Forest, as she sought gnolls who had slain villagers the halfling was sworn to protect, Penny was ambushed by the pack of evil humanoids. Just when Penny thought she had defeated all of her enemies, a hill giant emerged from behind a stand of trees. Penny could not defeat the giant, but as she died, Sehanine came to Penny and explained that it was not her destiny to die at the hands of that giant. Penny's soul would be given to the Raven Queen, who would decide the warlock's fate.

Penny awoke to find herself in a gray field of dead grass and bleak patches of mud and dirt. Appearing above the fields was a floating woman glowing with silver energy.

"I am known to the living as the Raven Queen. Your soul has been granted to me and I shall make use of it. You are now in the Withered Lands, a place also known as Histhaven. Your soul is now tied to this place. A great curse has been placed on Histhaven. The curse is now yours to bear. The Dread Lord of this domain is cursed to fight his sworn enemy and neither can defeat the other. Such is their curse. You cannot leave Histhaven until you break this curse. You have within you the power to end this. You must find this power. Find allies here and do what must be done."

With that, the Raven Queen was gone, leaving Penny to her thoughts.[/sblock]

You find yourselves in a strange, gray field of dead grass. Withered trees in the distance surround this field and give you a feeling of dread. You have no other information other than the above and what you see here.

OOC: Pending Goken100 completing his entry in the RG thread. Eramsus will not be able to act in the game until this has been posted.

Last edited:

Cor Azer

First Post
Aleksey

The young vistani surveys the field again, and again realizes there's nought but dead, grey grass. With a silent flick of his cloak's hem, his familiar Tenebre walks from his shadow and stretches.

"At least I'm not truly alone, old friend," he says out loud, if only to hear some sound. He kneels to scratch the cat behind the ears, elliciting a comforting purr.

"Come," he says, choosing a distant ashen grey patch of grass as a landmark.

"Let's see what fate holds for us."

OOC: I read our situation as not being together, although we may be in the same field but out of sight

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
OOC: I read our situation as not being together, although we may be in the same field but out of sight

OOC: Your characters can all see each other. You are in the same field, but not right next to one another. There's probably a good 30 yards of distance between each of you (except Erasmus and Markal who are right next to each other).

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
The young vistani surveys the field again, and again realizes there's nought but dead, grey grass. With a silent flick of his cloak's hem, his familiar Tenebre walks from his shadow and stretches.

"At least I'm not truly alone, old friend," he says out loud, if only to hear some sound. He kneels to scratch the cat behind the ears, elliciting a comforting purr.

"Come," he says, choosing a distant ashen grey patch of grass as a landmark.

"Let's see what fate holds for us."

A whisper that seems to sound like the word, death, causes Aleksey to turn around, only to see Tenebre stopped, staring at the wizard. The cat then kips forward and re-joins Aleksey.

Cor Azer

First Post
Aleksey

"Huh," says the wizard softly. "Never thought the black cat to cross my path would be my own."

He looks up, and notices others in the field for the first time.

"Excuse me? Any of you know where in the Shadowfell we are?" he asks, only guessing the dark plane due to the ashen grass and ominous sky.

Walking Dad

First Post
Carric

The half-elf in a black scale armor with various raven images as decoration stands up ungainly.

"This is Histhaven or the Withered Lands, a place is cursed by a Dread Lord. Are you help sent by the Raven Queen or the first obstacle of my quest?"
He asks the wizard in a grim voice, his holy symbol ready in hand.

Shayuri

First Post
Given. My soul's been given. Traded like a hog on Festday.

Most days it was just the missing piece of her soul that felt cold. Today, it was the whole thing. Penny's bleak thoughts were interrupted by the nattering of others in the drab, dry grey grass of Histhaven.

She looked around and answered with a humorless smirk, "Does it matter where we are? We're here, and not getting out anytime soon. Least, not so soon as we'd like."

"And you there, priest of the Carrion Queen." It wasn't the most respectful of the titles for her new patronness, but Penny was still feeling spiteful. "I'll take you as ally in this, as ending curses is not what I usually find on my plate, but tell your mistress when you've occasion that...that..."

Penny frowned. What missive for the Dread Mistress? What words from such a creature as herself would inspire a goddess to sympathy, anger, or even stir her to care? She scowled and shook her head. "...nevermind."

The halfling; no bigger than a human child, though in every other way an adult woman, came through the grass which on her was thigh-high. She was dressed in dark grey clothes upon which was arrayed black leather straps that wrapped tightly around her form and were anchored at the small paldroons, leather gloves, belt and boots. Some magic must have been upon that armor to keep the strips of leather from overlapping each other and to make them protective. Her skin seemed a bit pale, lacking the kiss of the sun so common to her outdoors-loving people. Her hair, either dark brown or black...hard to tell in this dark domain...was gathered back tightly into a tail, accentuating the shape of her face and head. Around her shoulders was a sort of half-cloak made from the pelt of a wolf; a curiously barbaric touch for someone who otherwise seemed rather urban in demeanor.

"Penny," she said as she came nearer. "I don't suppose she told any of you anything useful about this curse, or how to break it?"

Cor Azer

First Post
Aleksey

"Sent by the Raven Queen? I don't know if she sent me here, but she has taken an interest in my fate." Aleksey nods respectfully to the cleric. "I offer no ill will, so I don't believe I'm an obstacle."

The wizard lets his cloak fall open, revealing a loose, white tunic, simple leather breeches, and an intricate black leather vest with showy gold coins draped and woven through it in a style favoured by the Vistani. His wrists are wrapped with similar black leather and coin bands, and several fingers bear rings of various metals. His boots are above the knee, with a slight heel, and a small bauble hangs from the left one. His features are soft, androgynous if not feminine, an effect only reinforced by slightly tousled red hair that falls just past his shoulders.

"I am Aleksey Khalendros, sometime seer of the Calendar Troupe." Off blank stares, he adds, "Vistani, if you... care." He chooses the last word carefully, all too familiar with the stereotypes of his people. "The cat is Tenebre; my shadow."

Walking Dad

First Post
Carric

Carric relaxes a bit. He is not bad in judging people and their words sound true.

"I'm Carric. Penny is on something. Maybe the Raven Queen gave us different hints in our visions...
she said this Dread Lord is 'fated to fight his enemy nightly'... had she given you any clues who this enemy might be? Maybe he is an ally."

Remove ads