Insight's Histhaven - OOC

Insight

Adventurer
WELCOME TO HISTHAVEN!
And lo, the spirit of vengeance strode forth to face his living enemy, and his enemy to him - the two so alike in visage and power, so dissimilar in heart and soul. They faced one another over the distance, each holding his blade aloft to point at the other's heart.

"This shall not stand," said the young lord. "You who have slain all - you shall not stand!"

The avenging ghost said nothing. The lord knew his own crimes and whether he felt remorse made little difference.

Rain fell, splitting upon their sharpened steel. The maiden, who laid senseless and still upon the cold earth, could do nothing to quell their undying wrath.

Then they clashed, blades flashing in the hazy moonlight, steel ringing like the sound of funeral bells. Wounds they gave and took, blood running freely upon the darkened heath. Mist rose around them, drawn in the wake of their blades like paint spreading upon an easel. Faster and fiercer they fought, each crying out in pain and rage, until gray nothingness surrounded them.

And then, they were gone - the ghost and the lord, the avenger and the guilty.

And in their wake, the maiden wept.

- from the Ghost and the Maiden, by Catalan the Bard​

This is the official OOC thread for my Histhaven game. This is a D&D 4th Edition game set in the Shadowfell. This game uses the "Domain of Dread: Histhaven" accessory released for the 2011 Free RPG Day.

See this thread for the initial character ideas. Those character concepts should be fleshed out here.

Character Creation Rules:
Standard 4th Ed
22 point buy per PHB / Heroes of X
5th level
Items: 1 6th level, 1 5th level, 1 4th level, gold equal to a 4th level item. Mundane (non magic) items less than 25gp are free.
Races subject to approval
"General" backgrounds allowed
No non - setting specific themes are allowed (ie, no Dark Sun or Neverwinter)

IC Thread
RG Thread

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Ok, I will narrow it do Warpriest, looking at the current concepts (2 Leaders for six players sound better than 1 leader and 3 strikers).

Will later stat up a Half Elf Cleric (Warpriest) with the Death Domain here :)

work in progress (gradually changing another sheet):

[sblock=Mechanics]
Carric, level 5
Half-Elf, Cleric (Warpriest)
Domain: Death
Half-Elf Power Selection: Bonus Dilettante At-Will / Encounter Power Power
Background: Raised by Elves (Perception is Class skill)
Theme: Ordained Priest

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 23 Fort: 18 Reflex: 18 Will: 19
HP: 43 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal, Insight, Perception, Religion

UNTRAINED SKILLS
rest

FEATS
Level 1: Holy Symbol Expertise
Level 2: Improved Defenses
Level 4: Scale Proficiency

POWERS
Domain at-will 1: Death's Shadow
Domain at-will 1: Tenebrous Blessing
Bonus Encounter Power: Hand of Radiance
Ordained Priest Encounter: Shining Symbol
Domain encounter 1: Inevitable Doom
Domain Utility 1: Eye of the Vulture
Cleric daily 1: Moment of Glory
Cleric utility 2: Blackened Soul
Domain encounter 3: Death Surge
Cleric daily 5: Iron to Glass

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Heavy Shield

Level 6: Magic Drakescale Scalemail +2
Level 5 (4): Accurate Symbol of Holy Nimbus +1
Level 4: Healer's Brooch +1

[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]
After Carric's mother died during childbirth, her parents took onto themselves to raise him. He grew quickly, but was never well liked among the elves around him. If this was because he shunned him or the other way around is still to debate. He later left the village and received the call from the Raven Queen. With his strong will and keen perception, he rised quickly through the ranks and decided to gain to the start of the undead problem, the Shadowfell itself.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Cor Azer

First Post
I will be playing Aleksey Khalendros, a vistani wizard accompanied by Tenebre, his black cat familiar. He grew up in a vistani troupe that travelled across the world, the Shadowfell, and the Feywild mostly serving as an apprentice lore keeper and seer. While passing through a particularly xenophobic town, the troupe was chased off and scattered. When Aleksey got lost in the mists around the town, he found himself in Histhaven.

Do you want character statblocks posted here?

Also, you say mundane items less than 25gp are free. How does that work with ritual components? Technically, they're 1gp each, but I suspect you don't want me to have a nigh-infinite supply.

[sblock=Aleksey Khalendros]
Aleksey Khalendros, level 5
Human, Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Tome of Readiness
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power
Background: World Walker, Parentage - Minstrel Family, Curious Archeologist, Seer (Thievery class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 18 Fort: 17 Reflex: 20 Will: 19
HP: 40 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
History +12, Arcana +12, Diplomacy +9, Thievery +8, Insight +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Bluff +4, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +4, Heal +2, Intimidate +4, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +7, Stealth +3, Streetwise +4, Athletics +1

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Human: Vistani Heritage
Level 1: Arcane Familiar
Level 2: Black Vistani Cat
Level 4: Vistani Seer

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Magic Missile
Book of Undeniable Fire +1: Fireball
Book of Undeniable Fire +1: Flaming Sphere
Tome of Readiness: Conduit of Ice
Wizard at-will 1: Scorching Burst
Wizard at-will 1: Nightmare Eruption
Wizard encounter 1: Force Orb
Wizard daily 1: Sleep
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Acid Arrow
Wizard utility 2: Familiar Harrier
Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Shield
Wizard encounter 3: Fire Shroud
Wizard daily 5: Scattering Shock
Wizard daily 5 Spellbook: Stinking Cloud

ITEMS
Spellbook, Adventurer's Kit, Book of Undeniable Fire +1, Amulet of Protection +2, Dagger, Shimmering Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Climber's Kit, Residuum (Any) (350), Woodwind, Potion of Healing (heroic tier), Thieves' Tools, Ornate Key (focus for Vistani Passkey ritual)
RITUALS
Amanuensis, Comprehend Language, Explorer's Fire, Object Reading, Vistani Passkey, Silence, Seek Rumor, Spirit Fetch, Make Whole, Brew Potion
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
I will be playing Aleksey Khalendros, a vistani wizard accompanied by Tenebre, his black cat familiar. He grew up in a vistani troupe that travelled across the world, the Shadowfell, and the Feywild mostly serving as an apprentice lore keeper and seer. While passing through a particularly xenophobic town, the troupe was chased off and scattered. When Aleksey got lost in the mists around the town, he found himself in Histhaven.

Sounds good.

Do you want character statblocks posted here?

Yes. That's the point of this thread (at least until the game gets going).

Also, you say mundane items less than 25gp are free. How does that work with ritual components? Technically, they're 1gp each, but I suspect you don't want me to have a nigh-infinite supply.

I would consider those magic items, since they are used for rituals. Same with alchemical items and consumables like potions.

tiornys

Explorer
Tentative build for Markal, a bold (reckless) scion of minor nobility who uses his charm (or fists or blade) to get him out of the scrapes caused by his carelessness. He is a worshipper of Avandra.

[sblock=Markal]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Markal, level 5
Human, Paladin (Cavalier)
Virtue: Virtue of Valor
Cavalier Option: Summoned Steed
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Borderland Nobility (+2 to Diplomacy)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 19, CON 13, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 13, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 15

AC: 23 Fort: 19 Ref: 18 Will: 18
HP: 52 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +7, Diplomacy +12, Endurance +4, Intimidate +10, Religion +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +0, Arcana +2, Bluff +5, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History +2, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth –1, Streetwise +5, Thievery –1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura
Paladin Attack: Holy Smite
Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance
Paladin Utility: Righteous Shield
Paladin Utility: Call Celestial Steed
Paladin Attack 1: Valiant Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Vengeful Strike
Paladin Utility 2: Restore Vitality
Paladin Attack 5: Arc of Vengeance

FEATS
Level 1: Master at Arms
Level 1: Swift Recovery
Level 2: Disciple of Freedom
Level 4: Improved Initiative

ITEMS
Dynamic Longsword +2 x1
Black Iron Plate Armor +1 x1
Lucky Charm +1 x1
Heavy Shield x1
Javelin
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Acrobat Boots (heroic tier) x1
Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
====== End ======[/sblock]

Definitely open to suggestions at this stage.

t~

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Block reserved for Half-Elf Warlord.

A former soldier and medic became the local sheriff of Histhaven after helping the town militia defend against a zombie incursion. Generally well-liked with a knack for knowing a bit about everything. Recently, a number of his deputies have been killed or gone missing. Despite his charm, the town has turned on him and removed him from office. He is now a social pariah, but the small few that still call him friend keep him out of the public's eye. He has nowhere else to go and owes the public an explanation.

Half-Elf Racial: Knack for Success.

Feats:
Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Jack of All Trades
Master Communicator

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
A former soldier and medic became the local sheriff of Histhaven after helping the town militia defend against a zombie incursion. Generally well-liked with a knack for knowing a bit about everything. Recently, a number of his deputies have been killed or gone missing. Despite his charm, the town has turned on him and removed him from office. He is now a social pariah, but the small few that still call him friend keep him out of the public's eye. He has nowhere else to go and owes the public an explanation.

The character would have to be an "unofficial" sheriff of Histhaven, as the village has no real law enforcement other than the local lord, Artius. There is certainly open the possibility that someone (your character) might rise in prominence after helping defend the village and the locals might consider you something of a "sheriff".

Keep in mind that such a position would put your character in direct conflict with Lord Artius, who would not welcome anyone interfering in his iron-fisted rule of Histhaven.

The above is not to discourage you from this course, but keep it in mind.

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm. I'm torn now.

With an Avenger in the group, it might be better if I made a ranged striker.

What do you guys think?

A warlock, or a sorceror, perhaps...

Though one reason I liked the Executioner was because of their beefy basic attack, which synergizes well with a warlord.

Cor Azer

First Post
Hmm. I'm torn now.

With an Avenger in the group, it might be better if I made a ranged striker.

What do you guys think?

A warlock, or a sorceror, perhaps...

Though one reason I liked the Executioner was because of their beefy basic attack, which synergizes well with a warlord.

I'm not familiar enough with the executioner build to say, but the other assassins have some decent movement options, which can sometimes substitute for ranged stuff, particularly if we have some solid melee support like the warlord.

Remove ads