• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's Histhaven - OOC

Insight

Adventurer
I am going to allow ONE player to play a multiclass or hybrid Vampire (see the article I linked above). Not a single class Vampire, though. And you need to detail HOW you were stricken with vampirism in your background (it may come back to haunt you muhahahahaha)

Insight

Adventurer
Note that I have one level 6 magic item, two level 4s, and one level 3. I credited the character with the difference between a level 5 and level 4; is that okay?

Yes. You can downgrade your items and pocket the difference in gp. Don't go too crazy or I will start auditing the characters' items and I really don't want to have to do that.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I don't care which build you choose, but your power selection suggests that you might want to switch. Warlord's Favor (as Tactical), Lead the Attack, and Adaptive Stratagem are all significantly better with a higher Int modifier.

Problem with that is that Half-Elf is completely non-synergistic with Tactical Warlord. You could change to Eladrin or Human, but that might involve completely reconcepting your character.
I originally thought about Eladrin, but then I got the feeling that we were going with less "magical" races, so I opted for Half-elf over Human (mostly b/c of the Racial Encounter power that can serve up a plate of possible buffs).

I do enjoy the 'kitchen sink' of the Resourceful Warlord, and I think that party buffs are awesome.

Alternately, you might consider tweaking your power lineup. Hammer and Anvil is likely stronger on your current build than Warlord's Favor. Also, it looks like you might have a great party for Lamb to the Slaughter instead of Lead the Attack.
I always figured that a Charge attack was always the dumbest possible move to do in D&D, as well as being hard to pull off due to the way you have to move on squares. A +1 to attack for 1-3 opponents versus a +3 for all allies in 5 squares... Lead the Attack seems far better.

In any case, I recommend rethinking at least one of your at-will selections. Opening Shove is a trap. [...] Furious Smash is a very situational power unless you start with a Charisma of 18 and increase it at every level (with 16 Cha you lose damage vs. a MBA, so it's only good use is for setting up a power that has a very strong effect on a hit). I think you want at least one at-will power that is superior to a melee basic attack, and right now, neither of your choices is that.
Agree. I went with Rousing Assault instead.

Here's a q, though. If I use Rousing Assault and then follow it up with Stand the Fallen, do all allies get my Cha bonus twice in HP?

[sblock=New Powers List]Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Half-Elf Racial Power: Knack for Success
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Warlord Attack 1: Furious Smash
Warlord Attack 1: Rousing Assault
Warlord Attack 1: Hammer and Anvil
Warlord Attack 1: Lead the Attack
Warlord Utility 2: Flash of Insight
Warlord Attack 3: Inspire Resilience
Warlord Attack 5: Stand the Fallen[/sblock]

Last edited:

tiornys

Explorer
I always figured that a Charge attack was always the dumbest possible move to do in D&D, as well as being hard to pull off due to the way you have to move on squares. A +1 to attack for 1-3 opponents versus a +3 for all allies in 5 squares... Lead the Attack seems far better.
The key is that those Charge attacks are all happening for free. Three extra attacks RIGHT NOW (plus the repositioning you get to do) is probably better than +3 to attacks for the party for one round. Certainly not always, and I won't fault you for keeping Lead the Attack. But don't think of it as +1 to attacks for 3 allies--think of it as generating 3 standard actions.

Agree. I went with Rousing Assault instead.

Here's a q, though. If I use Rousing Assault and then follow it up with Stand the Fallen, do all allies get my Cha bonus twice in HP?
Yes, they get the bonus twice.

t~

Goken100

First Post
I am going to allow ONE player to play a multiclass or hybrid Vampire (see the article I linked above). Not a single class Vampire, though. And you need to detail HOW you were stricken with vampirism in your background (it may come back to haunt you muhahahahaha)

I'm very interested but I try to keep my character options to the CB to preserve my sanity. Those feats and such won't be available until... late September I think. Is that too late for the game's start?

Goken100

First Post
Introducing Erasmus van Richten

I've made quite a few changes. I'm going back and forth on whether to stick with the Censure of Unity feature (which is great for a melee-heavy group) or cave in and go for Censure of Pursuit, for which I have ideal stats and powers.

I'll add some fluff later, but he's definitely a vampire hunter. Anyone else want to join Erasmus on his quest to rid the world of nosferatu? tiornys and Walking Dad, your characters might be compatible for some crossover backgrounds, what do you think?

[sblock=Character Summary]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Erasmus van Richten, level 5
Human, Avenger
Build: Pursuing Avenger
Avenger's Censure Option: Censure of Unity
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Spear)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Holy Symbol)
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Curious Archeologist (Thievery class skill)
Theme: Alchemist

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 20, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 15, INT 10, WIS 17, CHA 8

AC: 21 Fort: 16 Ref: 18 Will: 20
HP: 51 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Perception +13, Religion +8, Stealth +11, Thievery +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Athletics +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +3, Heal +7, History +2, Insight +7, Intimidate +1, Nature +7, Streetwise +1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Avenger Feature: Abjure Undead
Avenger Feature: Divine Guidance
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity
Avenger Attack 1: Overwhelming Strike
Avenger Attack 1: Avenging Shackles
Avenger Attack 1: Strength of Many
Avenger Attack 1: Angelic Alacrity
Avenger Attack 1: Thunder and Echo
Avenger Utility 2: Refocus Enmity
Avenger Attack 3: Sequestering Strike

FEATS
Alchemist
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)
Level 1: Power of Skill
Level 2: Unarmored Agility
Level 4: Versatile Expertise

ITEMS
Grasping Greatspear +2 x1
Greatspear
Sanguine Vestments Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1
Lucky Charm +1 x1
Icon of the Silver Flame +1 x1
Alchemist's Fire
Alchemical Silver
Alchemy Case
Tanglefoot Bag
Thieves' Tools
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Footpads
Inquisitive's Kit
Ghoul Candle
Alchemical Reagents (Arcana)
====== End ======
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Erasmus van Richten.dnd4e
    226.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Cor Azer

First Post
Insight: generally speaking, do you want (or would it make things easier) if most of our characters were linked?

On Aleksey's behalf, he could be linked to anyone fairly easily. The Khalendros vistani clan traveled a lot, so it could be found almost anywhere, and with Aleksey being an apprentice seer at the time, he would have been involved/present when anyone had their fortunes told. Also possible, if anyone wanted to play up a destiny angle, that he just saw a vision of a character doing something, without that character explicitly seeking a fortune.

Remove ads