• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's Histhaven - OOC

Insight

Adventurer
Insight: generally speaking, do you want (or would it make things easier) if most of our characters were linked?

On Aleksey's behalf, he could be linked to anyone fairly easily. The Khalendros vistani clan traveled a lot, so it could be found almost anywhere, and with Aleksey being an apprentice seer at the time, he would have been involved/present when anyone had their fortunes told. Also possible, if anyone wanted to play up a destiny angle, that he just saw a vision of a character doing something, without that character explicitly seeking a fortune.

It doesn't matter if you all know each other, some of you know each other, or none of you know each other. You will be thrown together by the mists of Ravenloft the Shadowfell ;)

Goken100

First Post
It doesn't matter if you all know each other, some of you know each other, or none of you know each other. You will be thrown together by the mists of Ravenloft the Shadowfell ;)

Cool! I just thought it would be fun to collaborate a bit on how we all happened to arrive here around the same time, particularly as we're not starting at level 1.

Here's a general outline that I'm thinking of:
1. There's an organization of exorcists and undead hunters run secretly by a united pantheon of temples to good-aligned religions (that way we can represent different specific deities).
2. SOMEONE comes to the capital city (or some larger city) with a terrible story to tell. Perhaps the person is exhausted from traveling at breakneck speed and DISAPEARS when night falls! (Drawn back to Histhaven.)
3. The secret organization dispatches some of its more promising and accomplished members to find out what evil is at work and bring it in or destroy it.
4. The members have difficulty finding their way to Histhaven, finally finding a MYSTERIOUS GUIDE who's willing to help them on their way.

What do you guys think? I'm totally flexible, this is just to get the ball rolling. My thought is that some of us would be in the secret organization, and others could opt to either be the one who made it out temporarily and disappeared or the mysterious guide. And, of course, some could be unconnected and meet up once we join the cursed. :)

Cheers,
Goken

Herobizkit

Adventurer
[MENTION=42968]Goken100[/MENTION]

I could be going crazy, but I see you took Versatile Expertise with Heavy Blades, but took your main weapon as a Greatspear (Spear, Polearm). Am I missing something, or do you just wanna be well-rounded?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
The key is that those Charge attacks are all happening for free. Three extra attacks RIGHT NOW (plus the repositioning you get to do) is probably better than +3 to attacks for the party for one round. Certainly not always, and I won't fault you for keeping Lead the Attack. But don't think of it as +1 to attacks for 3 allies--think of it as generating 3 standard actions.

Again, could be reading things wrong, but a Charge requires at least two squares of movement. If I'm blowing a Daily, I'm already in Melee and, chances are, everyone else would be by then as well. It would be a great opener, but I don't generally see Dailies as 'openers', more of a 'last ditch effort' move.

Clearly, YMMV. ;)

Goken100

First Post
[MENTION=42968]Goken100[/MENTION]

I could be going crazy, but I see you took Versatile Expertise with Heavy Blades, but took your main weapon as a Greatspear (Spear, Polearm). Am I missing something, or do you just wanna be well-rounded?

Good catch, thanks! I'm still waffling on the sword vs. spear issue, clearly, but I'll stick with spear for now. I think it's slightly less optimized, but will make for an more interesting and flavorful play experience. I've never used reach weapons before, and I the weapon fits the character concept better.

I'm thinking the grappling spear will be a magic-mechanical device, that at a twist allows the spear to bend at right angles, drawing the target in. Thus more akin to the gadgetry that Van Hellsing used in the movie. :)

tiornys

Explorer
Again, could be reading things wrong, but a Charge requires at least two squares of movement. If I'm blowing a Daily, I'm already in Melee and, chances are, everyone else would be by then as well. It would be a great opener, but I don't generally see Dailies as 'openers', more of a 'last ditch effort' move.

Clearly, YMMV. ;)
The proper use for a Daily varies, but many of the best are intended as openers. Sleep? Best used to open a battle. Moment of Glory? Bastion of Defense? Again, best used early so the defensive benefits apply for the whole battle. Lead the Attack is also an opener, not a last ditch effort move--it's at its best as the first attack made against an elite or solo enemy that needs to die ASAP. Many dailys are meant to be used aggressively, and frankly I prefer those, since I tend to get more use out of them than I do from "save my ass" style powers. Stand the Fallen--a clear a last ditch effort move--is a great power, but my L12 Tactical Warlord has used it maybe twice in 7 levels. During those levels, Lead the Attack has seen 15-20 uses, and Concentrated Attack (a L1 daily in his L9 slot) has seen 5-10.

Anyway, yes, you do need 2 squares of movement to charge, so properly using Lamb to the Slaughter does want a bit of coordination and setup (so does Lead the Attack, although not as much). Still, as a daily you won't be looking to use it in every encounter. You use it when you see a good opening for it, or when you see a good chance to create an opening for it.

edit: also, note that it's a melee 5 attack, which means you're not necessarily in melee yet when you use it.

later edit: to be clear, I'm not trying to convince you to take Lamb to the Slaughter--you should take whatever power you'll be happy with. I AM trying to convince you that many daily powers are NOT "last ditch effort" style powers, and shouldn't be treated as such. And while I'm at it, if I can help you see some merit in a power that you see as weak, so much the better.

[MENTION=42968]Goken100[/MENTION], I'm willing to arrange to have worked with you in the past. You'll have to had convinced me to join up with you in killing the undead, as Markal isn't disciplined enough to dedicate himself to an organization like that. He'd happily follow your lead, though, if it meant excitement and a chance to show off.

t~

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
After a great deal of deliberation, I have discarded the Shade idea.

I am now pondering a Vryloka, if that is acceptable to Insight. I still like the idea of a person who has a dark secret...and must fight his own darker nature, even as he draws on sinister powers to do so.

I also like the idea of him being an 'undead hunter' or similar. Perhaps he's a fantasy version of Blade...partially infected by a condition he dedicates himself to fighting.

Classwise, looking at a Binder Warlock, or perhaps a Gloom Pact Hexblade.

The problem with Gloom pact is that it's not really ideal for staking bloodsuckers. Fair amount of necrotic powers. So I'm still checking my alternatives.

If Vryloka are not acceptable, Ill go with a human, most likely, or even a halfling. :)

Insight

Adventurer
Do you guys (and possibly gals) need anything else from me to get this going? If not, please post your characters so that we can get an idea when we can start the game.

Remove ads