Insight's "The Silent Partner" [1920s] OOC Thread

jackslate45

First Post
Here is what I came up with skill wise (before I start allocating points all around)

Security Guard(From Police Man): Dodge, Fast Talk, First Aid, Grapple, Law, Psychology, + Martial Arts(Subbed with Punch), Spot Hidden. (this is to show a degrade from being an actual lawyer to being a Security Guard for 8 years)
Personal (ex lawyer/security training):
Credit Rating/Library use/Pistol

Shayuri

First Post
Name: Renate "Renna" Plumpe
Description:

STR 6
CON 10
POW 12
DEX 10
APP 11

SIZ 11
INT 15

EDU 14
SAN 60

Characteristic Rolls
Idea (INT x5) 75%
Luck (POW x5) 60%
Know (EDU x5) 70%

Max Sanity 99

Derived Characteristics
Hit Points 10
Magic Points 12
Current Sanity 60

Skills (280 + 150)
History 20 (40%)
Library Use 40 (65%)
Occult 30 (35%)
Own Language (German) 20 (90%)
Other Language (English) 70 (71%)
Other Language (Arabic) 20 (21%)
Persuade 40 (55%)
Archaeology 40 (41%)

Personal
Anthropology 25 (26%)
Bargain 60 (65%)
First Aid 35 (65%)
Drive Auto 30 (50%)

Annual Income: 4500
Total Cash: 22500
Savings: 2250
Investments: 2250
House/Tuition: 4500

Money: 13500

Coming soon: Story!

Insight

Adventurer
So, here are our characters:

Edward "Face" Pierson (Walking Dad), stuntman/actor/stand-in
Allan Coleman (Strahd), low-paid actor
Renate "Renna" Plumpe (Shayuri), production assistant and relative to the director, F.W. Murnau
Jack Thompson (jackslate45), head of security for CBC Studios

If I get the chance, I am going to start the IC thread today or this weekend. You do not have to finalize your character before chiming in; a lot of the beginning material will be decision-making and probably not a TON of die-rolling.

Caveat: You cannot make skill checks until your character has been "finalized" (ie, you tell me that you're done monkeying around with it).

I'm going to scan the 1920s gear list from the book and post it here. That should make gear purchasing easier on all of us. That probably will happen sometime this weekend.

Insight

Adventurer
POSTING
Just a few quick notes about posting and expectations. I want this game to keep moving. Nothing kills a game quicker than stasis. Luckily, because this game should not get bogged down in long combats, we should be able to keep things sailing along.

I'd like to have everyone post something at least twice a week. This is not a "hard and fast" rule, because sometimes, you may not have enough material to post that often. I suspect that people will be posting more than twice a week.

I do not expect long, drawn-out posts, unless the situation warrants such. Because I don't believe people read long screeds on message boards, I tend not to be overly verbose in my posts. As the Keeper, I am responsible for descriptions and NPC actions, so my posts will necessarily be longer than yours, on average.

When you make skill checks as part of your post (and please use the EN World die roller so I don't have to go check Invisible Castle), please incorporate the result into your narrative. CoC is a game that does not have a lot of opposed checks; most of the time, you will instantly know whether or not you have succeeded. You are free to decide when your character should make a skill check and which skill to use. There are times when I will direct you to make skill checks as well.

Feel free to give minimal lines to NPCs in your narratives, as long as the dialogue does not constitute them making decisions that affect the game. You'll have to use your best judgment here; I'll let you know if anything you do violates the spirit of what I'm talking about.

Thanks to everyone for giving this a try. Let's have some scary fun!

Walking Dad

First Post
Insight, have you looked up how someone uses a knife?

With his little money, face will start with big sunglasses and a scarf (he often tries to hide his face in public) and normal clothes. Maybe also a knife, if we find the rules ;)

Insight

Adventurer
Insight, have you looked up how someone uses a knife?

With his little money, face will start with big sunglasses and a scarf (he often tries to hide his face in public) and normal clothes. Maybe also a knife, if we find the rules ;)

It appears that you just make skills for other sorts of weapons (or even other sorts of tasks -- for example, I saw a skill, Transport Illegal Alcohol). Just make Knife a separate skill and have its base value be 25%. So, anyone can use a knife at 25% or you can put skill points into it to be better.

On that note, if any of you want to have skills that don't have a direct corollary in the rules, let me know. Most things are default 5%, 15%, or 25%. Use existing skills as a guideline. Acting might make sense for some of you. Falling (ie falling properly on a stunt) might make sense.

Actually, scratch Acting. You can use Fast-Talk for the process of acting, if it ever comes up in the game.

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
Skill List

Dodge(14) + 55: 69
Fast Talk(5) + 55: 60
First Aid(30) + 20: 50
Grapple(25) + 20: 45
Law(5) + 60: 65; He is a little rusty after all
Psychology(5) + 45: 50
Punch(50) + 20: 70
Spot Hidden(25) + 25: 50