• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inspiring Fortitude - Question

Brandis

First Post
Inspired by your resilience, your allies find the will to overcome challenges.
Daily - Standard Action - Close burst 5

Target: Each ally in burst
Requirement: Your second wind must be available for you to use.
Effect: You use your second wind, and each target gains temporary hitpoints equal to 10 + your Con modifier.
Prerequisite: You must be trained in Endurance.

My question is .... When I use this powe, do i also use my second wind (regaining HPs by expending 1 healing surge and the +2 bonus to defenses) or I just use my second wind action (no HPs gaingin)?

Thanks!

It doesn't mention that you don't gain the benefits of Second Wind.

Usually, such powers have a wording of you spend your second wind/healing surge, but regain no hit points, making it explicit that you do not gain the usual benefits of them.

Brandis

First Post
Thanks a lot for your answers!

I understood it as you both said, but i wasn't so sure so I wanted to check with other people.

Once again, thanks a lot!

UltimaGabe

First Post
If the Fighter in question were a Dwarf, would Inspiring Fortitude still be a standard action?

The reason I ask is that I was recently in a low-level game where one of the players, a Dwarf Fighter, used Inspiring Fortitude a couple times. The way he was describing it, it sounded like it was a Free Action, used whenever you use your Second Wind- then again, he also (intentionally or unintentionally, I'm not sure) flubbed many other class-based mechanics, so it's quite possible this was an error. Or he was just cheating.

Brandis

First Post
I think that it doesn´t matter that the Character using the Inspiring Word power is a dwarf or not .... at least that part is quite clear reading the power.

It requires a standard action and it has a daily use.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Alright, that's what I thought... I had just never actually read the power before coming across this thread. That's just yet another rule that player's flubbed. (He used to insist that he got an AoO anytime someone entered his threatened space, that his mark reduced the target's AC, and that Cleave marked two targets, to name a few.)

Xeterog

Explorer
note that you use your second wind, but aren't a target of the power, thus do not yourself gain the temp hitpoints

Target: Each ally in burst

and you are not your own ally (it's have to say you and each ally in burst to include you).

you still do spend your second wind and get the benifits from that (your allies do not get this)..

dwarves would spend a standard action as it is a separate power from second wind, even tho it does use the second wind.

Remove ads