Interest Finder: Caravan to Ein Arris d20?

Kafkonia

First Post
Yes, I am the same person who had to abandon his WLD campaign, and for that I apologize heartily. I think that staring at 800+ pages every time I tried to write a post was just too intimidating.

That being said, I've been working on converting the GURPS Basic Set adventure "A Caravan to Ein Arris" to d20, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a pbp run-through. It's not terribly long -- probably shorter than your average d20 module -- and so won't involve biting off more than I can chew. :) With luck, though, it could lead to something longer-running.

The game is a traditional "PCs hire on with a merchant caravan" story. It's not going to be a direct port because of some fundamental differences between the two worlds presented -- to wit, magic in the original Ein Arris did not exist; it will exist in limited form in this version. If people are interested, I'll post more details and an actual recruiting notification.

ETA: It occurs to me that some more detail might be useful now. This is a 1st level adventure, and is set primarily in a desert landscape, meaning the heat rules from the DMG and Sandstorm would come into play. The RP-to-fighting ratio of the module is probably somewhere between 60-50 and 75-25, although that depends on how the characters act. I'd also use some of the affiliation rules from the PHBII, although I need to reread those tonight.

To reflect the anthropocentric and non-magic world of the original, the following restrictions on character creation would be in place:

-Rangers and Paladins use the non-spellcasting version from the Complete Warrior.
-Available races are human, half-elf, elf, or dwarf. Other races exist, but are rare in the lands where this begins -- indeed, part of the trip you are taking will take you through Gnomish territory.
-In recognition of the original system's approach to characters, any alignment is open, but the characters are being employed by a caravan and so must behave in a manner conducive to their continued employment. In other words, if your Chaotic Evil character can't stop from picking fights with everyone, he probably won't be with the party long.
-Characters need not be hired on as sellswords -- they can be entertainers, healers, cooks, or anything else the caravan might require. Base classes are available from the PHB, PHBII, Complete non-Psionics, and Heroes of Horror, but some classes (knights, paladins, and ninjas, for instance) are hard to explain signing on. Others, like the Swashbuckler, may find the environment particularly suited to their abilities...

Now, I'm not looking for characters -- or even concepts -- right now, just an expression of interest. If more than a couple of people are interested, I'll put up more detail about the world and character generation and start accepting characters.

And if anyone wants to play an Expert, I'll try to throw you some extra goodies. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads