• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Interested in the d6 system, what do I need?

Hey all,

I've recently come into knowledge of the d6 system and its piqued my interest. I'm aware of the d6 Adventure, Powers, Fantasy, and Space books. I've also seen that there is a d6 Powers: Revised and Expanded book that sounded almost like M&M in its versatility.

I just had a few questions though. Is the d6 system a 'Stat or Skill' system like Burning wheel and Savage Worlds, or is it a 'Stat + Skill' system like the d20 games? Also which of these books would I need to cover the most genres and such? What are your own personal opinons of the d6 system?

Thanks in advance.

maddman75

First Post
I have the D6 Fantasy book, and rather like it.

Its basically a skill+stat system, as you'll have your stat as the base for each skill, then add onto that. So if you have 3D in Agility and put two of your skill dice into Melee, you'd have a Melee of 5D.

Its a nice simple system, but more of a toolkit than a ready to go game. There's maybe a couple of dozen spells and a dozen monsters in the book, that's it. There's some great design rules for making your own, but you have to do it.

I'm coming up with some rules to let me use it for old school dungeon bashing, converting the monsters in Keep on the Borderlands. When I get it finished I'd be glad to share.

maddman75

First Post
How does damage work in the D6 system?

There's two different damage systems, Body Points and Wounds. Once an attack hits, you roll the damage and subtract the target's Damage Resistance - a combination of Physique stat and armor. The remainder is subtracted from the Body Points, which are pretty much like hit points. If you're using Wounds, then you check a chart on the character sheet to see how many wound levels you get - there's stunned, injured, incapacitated, etc.

There's no levels here, so no inflating hit points. If you want to survive you either need to get better at not being hit or better at absorbing the damage.

Wik

First Post
Word to the wise - use the Body Points system if you want a quicker game. The wounds system often means a lot of dice are rolled each combat round... I once had a fight in d6 Space where a character with throwing knives and an NPC with an assault rifle traded shots for ten rounds - each time they'd hit, the target was able to shrug off the damage with a high roll.

Besides, Body Points seem more fantasy-like anyways.

But yeah, the "toolbox" style of the d6 games is pretty awesome. And I love the system, as I've mentioned in other threads.

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm still curious about the d6 Powers: Revised and Expanded, is anyone here familiar with it. Is it 'complete', as in it has everything you'd need to make characters, monsters, and other NPCs and such? Is it similar to Mutants and Masterminds in its versatility where any of the powers could easily substitute for magic and other supernatural abilities?

Wik

First Post
I'm not sure, but I think it's just another self-contained book, this time dealing with super powers. But I could be wrong. I have a book called "d6 Powers" that I got through the free RPG giveaway week last year. I haven't really looked through it, but it seems to mostly be super-hero material.

TheWyrd

First Post
the only thing I'm really not fond of with the Revised and Expanded D6 powers is how tightly it is tied to the Godsend Agenda universe. Technically all of the Godsend stuff is 'clearly marked' as being seperate.. but I'd prefer it if it was seperated by being in an appendix rather than a small 'optional' header entry.

Remove ads