• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Interesting Low Epic ideas and campaign hooks.

So I'm currently running a campaign that just a couple days ago hit epic levels. They're currently dealing with Asmodeus ascending to Godhood, and seemingly doing it the Neutral Good way, and the Good aligned characters being roped into helping him via logic and utilitarianism.

The Infernal Duke Paymon, Lord of Knowledge, has his own agenda, and is granting major boons upon one of the characters to enact this plan and become his proxy. As such she's being led to this city in the middle of a desert in a prison plane of the 9 hells known as the Lesser Hell, it's based off the Diablo 2 campaign module from 3.0, this desert has a city in the center filled with depowered Infernals known as the Forlorn.

Once i have their stats statted i'll drop it here and as new and unique entities emerge i'll post them as well. 😎 Hope you all enjoy.

Bootlebat

Explorer
Hey speaking of Diablo what would the 3 Great Evils be? I'm thinking about equal to Demogorgon i.e lesser deities. Also I figure each would be a different evil alignment (Diablo NE, Mephisto LE, Baal CE)

Well, there's a couple of different ways you could approach them...

If you assume Diablo levels are equivalent to D&D levels, well then, you're probably talking low 20s for D1 Diablo and mid-high 30s (?) for D2 Diablo (at normal difficulty).

In terms of cosmic significance... I'd say their "true" forms would be probably lesser deities, yeah... You could even argue intermediate, since the 3 Prime Evils dominate basically half the cosmology. But they got exiled by the Lesser Evils, so I don't think they're really monopolizing all the quintessence in the Hells.

And they're limited by the forms they are acting through... which is why Diablo in D1 has a lot fewer abilities (and looks different - much more humanoid, no big tail) than in D2.

So probably:

True Essence - upper end of Lesser, maybe ECL 100 / CR 67 (3e IH), high 30s Solo (4e)

Powerful Form (D2 Evils) - one tier lower, high-end Demi-deity, maybe ECL 70 / CR 47 (3e IH), probably 33 Solo, on par with Orcus (4e)

In 5E, I'd stat this form out at CR 29-30, equivalent to the official Tiamat or a bit weaker. (Mephisto falling a bit below that.)

Lesser Form (D1 Diablo) - much weaker, just a little beyond the strongest normal demons; probably Quasi-deity, maybe ECL 50/CR 33 (3e IH) or 28 Solo (4e)

In 5E, I'd make this form about CR 23 - equivalent to the weakest demon lords (Juiblex etc.)

--

As for alignments: I think they're actually all Chaotic Evil, though you could argue that Mephisto isn't.

But really the Diablo universe is more Law vs Chaos (Evil) than straightforward Good vs Evil. A lot of the angels are very strict Lawful Neutral, some maybe even pushing the edge of Lawful Evil in the "destroy the world to save it" thing. So I think cosmologically all the Prime Evils have to be CE. (Mephisto, IMO, isn't really Lawful himself so much as he corrupted a formerly LG/LN religion.)

Remove ads