• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Interesting trend in comics (OOTS, etc.)

Land Outcast

Explorer
Dunno, was like, ya know... that like they say its THAT... but I say like no way an' they're all like "no"... an' then like, I felt like slappin' the toaster ... ... ... with like a glass walrus after feelin' my neck go like THAT

Nyaricus

First Post
Galethorn said:
I don't know what you guys are [like] smoking...but Iron Porpoise is [like] totally a band name.

1dolphin4-med.jpg

-Iron Porpoise-

(Formerly known as The Harbor Cetacean Experience, Featuring Craig)
Brilliant.

(fixed the image for you, BTW. You have the "[ i ] " before the "[ img ]" tag; switch the two)

the Jester

Legend
Pielorinho said:
[typed elipses should have a space between each period and between the preceding and following words]

I did not realize this.

Pielorinho said:
[do not capitalize the word following a colon, unless some other rule requires the capitalization]

Wow, I have had that rule wrong for... as long as I can recall.

And I am a fellow who got a 5 on the English AP exam. :heh: Either I have been out of school too long, or I mis-learned several things in my youth.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
the Jester said:
And I am a fellow who got a 5 on the English AP exam.
No worries. I worked through college as a writing tutor, and when the going was slow, I read grammar books to pass the time. At least some of it stuck! :)

In any case, I do think that attempts to freeze language in its current state (or, rather, in its state fifty or a hundred years ago) are curious but doomed. Use of conventions in writing is helpful, and a Lingua Franca for the spoken word is similarly necessary, but beyond these two areas, the proliferation of new linguistic forms is something to be excited by, not something to disparage.

I recommend that folks who are interested in language pick up one of Steven Pinker's magnificent books, such as The Language Instinct. They're downright revelatory.

Daniel

Remove ads