Interrogation and Torture Procedure?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Nifft said:
"No, you don't."

Torture doesn't work in real life. It's not fun to roleplay. So, IMC it doesn't happen.

However, magic does happen:

- Charm Person
- Dominate Person
- Suggestion + Detect Thoughts

... and as a last resort:
- "When I want your opinion, I'll read your entrails!"

Cheers, -- N
Ditto-rific. I don't run evil campaigns, and torture is largly ineffective. So the procedure for torture in my games is "no".

In addition to Niff's suggestions, Zone of Truth, a curse spell to reduce wisdom (and thus the will saves against the other spells), various intimidate, diplomacy and sense motive checks depending on strategy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I won't say "torture is ineffective", because effectiveness depends upon your ultimate goal.

However, torture has been shown to be an unreliable way to gather intelligence information - torture leads to the subject telling you what he thinks you want to hear, which may be rather far from the truth. There are interrogation methods that weaken resolve in such a way as to get useful information, but torture isn't among them.

Mind you, just like folks in the real world, the PCs may not know this.

Veril

Explorer
When PC's are doing it: Intimidate or Gather Information. The torture attempt gives you a bonus on the skill. Ask them how many plusses they want for the torture.

If the number of plusses is greater than the victims level or hit dice they die.

Each torture must be at least +2 above the last.

----

When torturing PC's you have to do it properly, make the player answer the question.

"They ask you questions about your plans. do you answer? They threaten torture, it's looks pretty horriffic"
PC says no.

DM tells the player that they torture him for in his cell for hours asking him the questions.

After the torture session is over the DM then tells the player to reduce the characters Charisma score as written on the character sheet by 1. That's a permenant decrease.
Emphasise that this is not ability damage or ability burn. It's a permenant change.

On the next day pick a different statistic and repeat as necessary until the PC is rescued or gives in.

lukelightning

First Post
Intimidate, with a +2 bonus because you have a captive, and another +2 synergy bonus if you have 5 or more ranks in profession: torturer.

Remember that intimidation isn't just scaring someone. It's influencing someone into behaving the way you want through fear.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'd recommend Tell Me Now for torture rules that inflict permanent and long-lasting damage to a victim. Just make sure your PCs know that if they use torture, other characters will torture them.

lukelightning

First Post
Don't forget bardic music. "interrogate, interrogate, interrogate the captured enemy!"

"Please, make him stop singing! I'll tell you everything, but please just make him stop singing!"

Remove ads