Pathfinder 1E Interview with PATHFINDER lead designer Jason Bulmahn

Most interesting to me was that they revised their beta to be MORE compatible with 3.5 (in the sense that they cut some of their innovations).

That's good to hear.

I'm thinking Pathfinder may actually be backwards compatible (but make classes like the old "sorceror" or "bard" into NPC classes, and make the Pathfinder versions PC classes).

I had been worried it was going to change too much to be backward compatible, and this interview allayed some of those concerns.

JeffB

Legend
How have we gotten by this long without rules for stairs?!

:p:D

I sure would like some clarification on these stairs rules from Jason or Erik or someone. I have no desire to play PF but I would buy the book for a good read and to support Paizo- but yeesh..the fact they felt the need for stair rules makes me think twice (whats next? DC20 Reflex save to chew Iron Rations without choking /every round?)

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
Hey there Everybody,

Just to explain the stairs bit... it happened to be at the top of my mind when I gave this interview. We were working through the Environment chapter, which covers all the rules for floors, walls, doors, traps, and other issues when someone pointed out that there were no rules for stairs. In truth, this ended up being about a 100 words in a book with over half a million, so not that big a deal. It basically covers the fact that steep stairs can be difficult terrain and some checks made on stairs are a bit harder.

Aside from that little bit of confusion, I hope you found the article informative.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

Azgulor

Adventurer
More like, Paizo, meet the standards of minute scrutiny usually reserved for WotC designers.

(Also, I think you might be conflating your metaphors there.)

I agree that WotC designers have also been on the receiving end of this kind of ridiculous scrutiny. I think "usually reserved for WotC" is stretching it, though. YMMV.

Remove ads