• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Into the Dragon's Lair.

Shayuri

First Post
Kuma ducks his head as he steps out of the carriage and looks around. A noble fallen on hard times. Perhaps she wished her fortune regained? Or vengeance carried out?

More and more interesting.

He passes through the door, after Jargen and Duthayer.

sans

First Post
As is often the case when one is bold and daring in both action and speech, one usually finds oneself in very uncomfortable situations of one's own making. This is one of those occasions.

Addressing the guard, Brother Odis speaks seriously, "Forgive the trivial banter, we see now the heaviness of the situation."

With fury in his eyes that would make Tymora shake her head, Brother Odis follows the rest of the party. "The sooner we find out what's going on, the sooner we can act. And action is what pleases Tymora." Glancing at the desecrated statue of Tymora, Odis adds behind clenched teeth, "And oh what action we shall take!"

hero4hire

Explorer
Absalom smiled mirthlessly to himself. The Lady probably did her research when choosing to call them. He was sure the route through the wreckage of the city and especially the ruined temple of Tymora had been a planned and calculated manuever to spur the Companions to want to help. From the comments of his fellows, a move that seemed to be working.

Shayuri

First Post
"Tell me," Kuma says to their guide. "What has happened here? An enemy army after all? Or a tribe of orcs or hobgoblins? Why have they devastated this place?"

hero4hire

Explorer
Shayuri said:
"Tell me," Kuma says to their guide. "What has happened here? An enemy army after all? Or a tribe of orcs or hobgoblins? Why have they devastated this place?"

Absalom looked at the barbarian with some confusion.

"Did I just not say it was overrun with Goblinoids?"

TwistedMindInc

First Post
"It was in fact goblins. The Purple Dragons returned in time to drive them off, but not quickly enough to prevent the damage they had all ready done." Now that the group had gathered behind Jargen, he leads them inside the manor and down a corridor. Pausing only a moment to peer inside the quarters, "M'lady, your guests have arrived." Jargen then moves inside, admitting you enterance. Workmen repairLAdy Kestrel's manor in Arabel, and the hammering forces her to raise her voice as she speaks with you in her sitting room. Shafts of light spill into the room through cracks in the boards that cover broken windows, cutting through the shadows.

Lady Kestrel wears the black garb of a woman in mourning and the dark circles under her eyes show that she is still dealing with her grief. She does her best to appear strong. "Cormyr faces dire times. Many have taken the death of good King Azoun as an opportunity to wreak havoc on our forest kingdom, to seize power, or to address grievances or feuds of past. To make matters worse here, those who work for me and myself are becoming targets of the Freedom Warriors, a group of renegades intent on ending the Cormyrean royal line completely. That is why I have decided to call upon you. All is not lost for Cormyr. I recently recieved word from a long-time friend of my late husband that he has a lead on the location of the lair of the dragon that killed our king. I would like you to go to Eveningstar to meet with Gurrand Rannar, my husband's old friend, and acquire the map he possesses. He awaits your arrival at the Welcoming Hand Inn. I will give you my signet ring so that he knows you are my agents. After meeting with Gurrand, I would like you to follow the map to the dragon's lair and secure whatever treasure you find on my behald as a noble of our fair land."

She reaches to the floor beside her and retrieves two carefully folded, plain-looking bags. "These are two bags of holding that my husband kept from his days as an adventurer. These should make it easier for you to transport the treasure you will retrieve from the lair. They are yours to keep, as part of your payment for helping me in this matter. You are also welcome to keep twenty-five percent of any treasure you find, but I would request that you bring back the rest for Cormyr. I need only twenty-five percent to hire additional guards for my caravans and to help rebuild Arabel. The rest I intend to donate to our regent and infant king, to aid Cormyr in its time of need. Please do hurry. Cormyr has need ot stout hearts and strong convictions now. Do whatever you can to help bring justice and peaces back to our land."

She slips a jeweled golden ring off her hand and hands it to Brother Odis. It features her family crest (a sword, point-down, with a snake wrapped around the blade). It clearly is the signet ring she referred to.

Albedo

First Post
Arthur considered what the noblewoman said for a moment, and scanned the manor that was being repaired around them. He looked back up to her. "Adventure... Glory... A large amount of coin.... These are meaningless to me. From the looks of it, this city has taken a real pounding from these hard times we face. There are many here to help you regain what you have lost to it, but I am forced to wonder, what of those in this city who can't afford such assistance. I shall accept your task, but only if you promise the portion set aside for my own self will instead be directed to aiding the hard working commoners of this land who struggle to recover from a Noble's war."

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - Odd...somehow I missed that. Sorry Hero. :))

(Prior to entering and hearing tale)

Kuma gives Absalom a look, then rumbles gravely, "My apologies. I was absorbed by my eyes, and did not listen to my ears. If you had been an enemy, my throat would have been yours. I meant no disrespect."

(After hearing Kestrel)

At the mention of a dragon, a glint enters Kuma's eyes. When Kestrel has finished, he asks in his deep baritone, "Lady Kestrel, what is known of this dragon? Does it live still, or do we loot the lair of the dead?" His voice betrays no sign of distaste, but is purely matter of fact.

hero4hire

Explorer
Absalom's expression was almost inscrutable, but his long-time allies could tell from the way he set his chin that he was calculating the risk involved and how exactly such a mission related to his cause."I had heard the Good King Azoun slew the Mighty Drake before, he too was overcome by his injuries. At least that is how the Bards spin the tale in every Taproom from here to all along the Golden Way. But who knows what servants, guardians and traps a Dragon has about It's lair. Some even have Undead Minions.....I go where my Companions go." he finished simply.

[SBLOCK=Shayuri]OOC: No problem. Sometimes OOC mistakes lead to IC roleplaying fun. :) [/sblock]

TwistedMindInc

First Post
Lady Kestrel settles back in her seat, her fingers idly keeping busy with the fabric of her gown as she listens to the comments, questions, and concerns of the group. Smiling softly to Arthur, she nods. "If that be your wish, then I shall grant that. Quite noble intentions kind sir." Her attention then wavers to Kuma when the question is brought up, bobbing her head in agreement with Absalom. "Perhaps ye have not heard of King Azoun the Fourth and the battle with Nalavara the Elf-Dragon? Nalavara, the dragon's lair you seek, was a once an elven wizard turned dragon. She swore vengence upon Cormyr and all the human inhabitants for the death of her lover brought on by the first king of Cormyr. She was imprisoned .. oh.. over a thousand years ago. Since then she sought a way out of her prison and unleashed her fury upon Cormyr. It was within this vicious war that King Azoun and Nalavara were slain." Pausing to catch her breath, ".. but Gurrand speaks of there still being treasure to stake claim to. Though, neither he nor I are quite sure what may be guarding the lair now.. if anything."

Remove ads