• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Into the Dragon's Maw (OOC)

3SpdDragster

First Post
Yes, I could follow that. It is just everything before that seemed to be a bit....mushy. Sorry I don't have a better word for it. Maybe I am too much of a visual person and I do have to make a little map myself.

I am echoing the same sentiment. I need to know what round it is. One way to do demarcate rounds is to click "Go Adanced" and use the "Title" to write in what round it is. Alternately, you could just put text saying "Round 3" in the post itself.

It would help me tremendously if you either called for actions one at a time, or, if you are going to summarize at the end of a round, summarize in initiative order. It is useful to me to know who accomplished what when. Calling for players to state actions one at a time does not additional time per round, in my experience, and provides a lot of clarity. In order to make it work, however, all hands must be on deck, actively checking the site while we're on combat rounds.

Also, theater of the mind is awesome for a tabletop game where people have a chance to interact with each other, but PbP seems to benefit from a map during combat rounds. Again, this is my experience only, but a map both speeds up play and provides clarity.

Thanks, [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION]. It's worth tinkering to find a method that works for you.

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
Let me know if this clarifies it a bit:

Initiative Order:
Cade: 20
Pell: 19
Faera:17
Lakeover:17
Monsters: 17
Ursus: 10
Ignis:6

Round One:
Cade – Readied Attack
Pell – Readied Attack
Dragonlings – attack and are surprised that you guys don’t sink
Faera – Opportunity Attack and Eldritch Blast
Lakeover – Opportunity Attack and Firebolt
Ursus – Opportunity Attack and Melee Attack
Ignis – Contingency triggered and Hold Monster

Round Two:
Cade – Readied Attack
Pell – Readied Attack
Dragonlings – make use of breath weapons (except Ursus’ and Lakeover’s thanks to some magical hoodoo) *Current dragon positioning begins here*
Faera – Yet to act
Lakeover – cast firebolt and continued to move
Ursus – Yet to act
Ignis – Yet to act

Round Three:
Cade – Yet to act
Pell – Melee attack, disengaged and move
Dragonlings – yet to act
Faera – Yet to act
Lakeover – yet to act
Ursus – yet to act
Ignis – yet to act

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
I am echoing the same sentiment. I need to know what round it is. One way to do demarcate rounds is to click "Go Adanced" and use the "Title" to write in what round it is. Alternately, you could just put text saying "Round 3" in the post itself.

It would help me tremendously if you either called for actions one at a time, or, if you are going to summarize at the end of a round, summarize in initiative order. It is useful to me to know who accomplished what when. Calling for players to state actions one at a time does not additional time per round, in my experience, and provides a lot of clarity. In order to make it work, however, all hands must be on deck, actively checking the site while we're on combat rounds.

Also, theater of the mind is awesome for a tabletop game where people have a chance to interact with each other, but PbP seems to benefit from a map during combat rounds. Again, this is my experience only, but a map both speeds up play and provides clarity.

Thanks, [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION]. It's worth tinkering to find a method that works for you.

[MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION] Let me see if I can get a map going for us. I'm working on that right now. As for calling for specific actions, you all have some fights coming up with creatures with legendary actions that's going to force us to do that. Like I mentioned up front, I need to experiment and try to figure out best practices to make the game work like this. Let me give that some thought. (though again and as an aside, I still feel like you should be able to uncanny dodge since I'm the one who confused you).

Matthan

Explorer
You know what, while I get this sorted, let's go ahead and shift to turn order posting. Pell hasn't acted yet. Lakeover and Faera are acting at the same time so Lakeover's actions are fine. We'll wait on Faera and resolve that before moving to Ursus.

Matthan

Explorer
Okay the map option is going to take some time that I don't have at the moment. As long as I am not buried in snow and without power/internet tomorrow, I'll work on it some more then and see if I can't get it up. If Zeromaru has a good feel for what's going on without the map, feel free to post Faera's actions.

Also, in case you missed it, [SBLOCK=If you target Faera's dragonling]This dragonling (the one hit in the first round by Faera's eldritch blast) is near death (7hp left), if you target it, kill it, and have multiple attacks (like from eldritch blast) go ahead and tell me how it dies and which other beast(s) you are targeting with your other attacks.[/SBLOCK]

Matthan

Explorer
I lied. I did manage to get it done. Suddenly, pictures started uploading. Anyway, the best option that I could come up with was to use roll20. You can click here to join the game and zoom in on details. I'll delete that url when all six of you (if you wish) join the game. I haven't found a better option for me to quickly add and move tokens around a map (especially with the not great resolution of the map that I have). I'll keep looking, but that's an initial option.

I spread you all out a bit to keep the breath weapons from overlapping, but put the heavies towards the front. If you have an issue with placement, let me know and I'll adjust.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads