Into the Lion's Den (Dealing with extreme prejudice in game)

Derren

Hero
How long do you plan for your PCs to be in this town (outside the college)?
The longer the PCs will stay outside of it (either by your planning or by their choice) the more noticeable the racism should be.

Things include:
- "Only human" taverns
- Non humans have to exchange their money to "foreigner coupons" at a very bad exchange course (and the money is worthless outside the city and not everyone will take it)
- No weapons are allowed for non humans
- Non humans have to pay extra "protection tax" at the city gate and bridges
- A curfew for non humans
- Non humans not allowed to use certain roads (the safe ones)
- Its forbidden for nun humans to hide their non human features
- Penalties for crimes are higher for non humans

Fenes

First Post
I am not sure if this was mentioned already, but I'd also consider making the whole racism less open and more subtle in parts - which works particularly better than open racism if the PCs are of considerable level, and therefore dangerous for most citizen. So, no "human only" taverns and inns - but demi-humans' orders get mixed up or lost, rooms are already booked, heating doesn't work, and so on. Clerks take their time and then some processing whatever the party wants, guards are slow to come when demi-humans call out, but always there when the party did something questionable. If the DM is subtle PCs may not even realise it at first.

And for a truly evil touch: Have a small child walk down the street, all happy and cheerful, then see the demi-humans, and start crying because it thinks now the bad people will kill daddy and kidnap the children and so on. Of course "that's only a legend the child heard somewhere", as the mother will explain, but it shows prejudice and racism without giving the party something to fight physically. And the PCs may feel really bad if they cause children to start out crying, even if they are not at fault.

Derren

Hero
I don't think the subtle approach would work considering the background. But having children starting to cry is a good idea.
You can also have children play the popular game "kill the elf" on the street (of course not with real elves)

The PC non humans might be powerful, but the normal non human is not and for those are all the restrictions.
Also this is the capital, even at the levels the PCs are they can't go on a rampage there.

Fenes

First Post
I'd make that a "Who is afraid of the big bad elf" game - less likely to make the PCs feel rightfully offended and solve the problem by force if they see that demi-humans are not just hated, but also feared.

Fenes

First Post
And another evil thought: What about having the characters get approached - perhaps after getting incised at the racism they encounter - by a group of demi-humans who want help in striking at the evil racists - by (known or unknown to the players) poisoning the water supply of the town. Maybe an evil god's cult or another sinister force is behind this, and wants to foster more hate, even a war.

Derren

Hero
I'd make that a "Who is afraid of the big bad elf" game - less likely to make the PCs feel rightfully offended and solve the problem by force if they see that demi-humans are not just hated, but also feared.

Well, if the non human PCs try to solve anything with force they are dead, its that simple. Remember they are not walking around in a small village, even their 8 levels won't help them when they start trouble in a metropolis.

Nightson

First Post
Fear is an important part of racism, especially if the object of your racism is one of those adventuring types who does who know what.

So don't do a lot of shouting insults, yelling at characters to get out, town guards being hugely abusive or anything like that (although the last one is slightly more likely).

Instead it's people not making eye contact, Inns are already all booked up, regulations say they can't do that, people are just doing their job, the police received word that an elf matching your description was involved in a crime and you need to come down to the station.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I am not sure if this was mentioned already, but I'd also consider making the whole racism less open and more subtle in parts - which works particularly better than open racism if the PCs are of considerable level, and therefore dangerous for most citizen. So, no "human only" taverns and inns - but demi-humans' orders get mixed up or lost, rooms are already booked, heating doesn't work, and so on. Clerks take their time and then some processing whatever the party wants, guards are slow to come when demi-humans call out, but always there when the party did something questionable. If the DM is subtle PCs may not even realise it at first.

And for a truly evil touch: Have a small child walk down the street, all happy and cheerful, then see the demi-humans, and start crying because it thinks now the bad people will kill daddy and kidnap the children and so on. Of course "that's only a legend the child heard somewhere", as the mother will explain, but it shows prejudice and racism without giving the party something to fight physically. And the PCs may feel really bad if they cause children to start out crying, even if they are not at fault.

Thanks - I had planned on the players (if they're not disguised) as being relegated to a small run-down non-human district and subject to strict curfews ("sorry folks, no elves allowed outside after dark."

the small child thing is a good idea, too, or playing "pin the tail on the elf" instead of donkey.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Well, if the non human PCs try to solve anything with force they are dead, its that simple. Remember they are not walking around in a small village, even their 8 levels won't help them when they start trouble in a metropolis.

I think they are smart enough and experienced enough gamers to realize they have to be on good behavior when in the city - and, while they may be able to "take out" a patrol of the town guard, a city of 100,000 people is going to certainly be able to deal with a party of hostile adventurers. What I fear is that the non-humans may decide to stay aboard ship while the three humans hustle over to see the sage, and (IMHO) splitting the party is almost never a good idea. Which is why I’m tempted to give them access to some magical devices that will allow them to be disguised for their time in the city.

Fenes

First Post
"Sorry, folks, no elves allowed outside after dark - it's for your own protection, really, last time one was burned alive by a mob."

Remove ads