Into the Lion's Den (Dealing with extreme prejudice in game)

hamishspence

Adventurer
great ideas

But, like other mature themes, it needs the players to be able to cope with it. The sort of thing that, for the right people, makes for immersive and interesting games, but, done wrong, leads to bad feelings and arguments.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Please note, I want the PCs to feel generally unwelcome and to be glad to leave, but I do not want them to be engaging in a running melee with the town guard and to be subjected to a rioting mobs of angry peasants wielding torches & pitchforks, demanding the dwarf be hung for just being a dwarf.

Granted, if the elf decides to “put the moves” on the daughter of a human noble, all bets are off and we could see a “To Kill a Mockingbird” type of scenario, at best. However, I highly doubt that will happen. However, a dwarf getting drunk in a tavern due to a spiked drink and then passing out in the street could lead to jail time for public drunkenness.

Quickbeam

Explorer
Given the party's character level and likely access to resources, my initial suggestion would be disguise spells and kits.

However, if that route isn't realistic or likely to be effective, then a little harmless NPC tension and negativity will hopefully drive them to their destination rapidly. As others have remarked, general taunting and off-color threats may rile the characters a bit...but they should have enough sense to exercise a little restraint.

I see this as an excellent opportunity for some quality roleplaying and character development.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Given the party's character level and likely access to resources, my initial suggestion would be disguise spells and kits.

However, if that route isn't realistic or likely to be effective, then a little harmless NPC tension and negativity will hopefully drive them to their destination rapidly. As others have remarked, general taunting and off-color threats may rile the characters a bit...but they should have enough sense to exercise a little restraint.

I see this as an excellent opportunity for some quality roleplaying and character development.

Agreed, hopefully I can wring some quality role-playing out of at least a few of them...but, the PCs sometimes have a way of messing up your best laid plans. I am probably going to offer them access to disguise, but I am not sure how a dwarf would take to that, or a proud elf.

Quickbeam

Explorer
I am probably going to offer them access to disguise, but I am not sure how a dwarf would take to that, or a proud elf.

But that's the best part...you are giving them very plausible methods of avoiding significant problems. They roleplay the rest.

If the pride of their PC's begins to get in the way, you can gently remind them of the overwhelming odds they face by challenging local convention and thought. Thereafter, you can shake your head and smile (knowing you tried, more than once, to help) if their lack of discretion fails to be the better part of valor.

Remove ads