Into the Unknown

Tony Vargas

Legend
So, I have the sub-titled 'Dungeon Survival Handbook.'

Quick review: it's held on to some of the things that HotFW and HotEC did. There are new races, new themes - all with power swaps. And some more under-dark-flavored power-swap options, including the first post-Essentials sightings of Skill Powers and even martial dailies (gasp!). There are also three 'new' races. OK, two MM1 races - one, the Kobold, with it's notorious racial 'Shifty' power nerfed - and one returning sub-race, the old Deep Gnome. All the races have nice flavor text - the goblin, in particular, is made more appealing in presentation/flavor - and, have feat support and power swaps. For a novelty, the feats are actually listed with each race, instead of all glomped together in one chapter - a much more logical approach: only someone playing a given race needs to find that race's feats.

On the down side: it's a little slim for a combined-player-and-DM resource, and wastes a few pages on what amount to adds for old modules, complete with cheesy (excuse me: awesome, classic) old cover art. And, this is probably just me, I got the vague impression that there was a little bit of "what the heck, the editions almost over" to this one. The inclusion of "Scrolls of Power" - one-shot artifacts that exist solely to bring up old broken spells, along with goofy history explaining their absence - being the most obvious one.

the Jester

Legend
The inclusion of "Scrolls of Power" - one-shot artifacts that exist solely to bring up old broken spells, along with goofy history explaining their absence - being the most obvious one.

This bit intrigues me. Can you give an example of one of these old broken spells and how it works in 4e?

Tony Vargas

Legend
The 'Scrolls of Power' include such icons of broken as Wish, Polymorph, and the Power Words as one-shot epic level artifacts. They're DM-fiat sort of things, Power Word: Kill, for instance does just what it says, no save, no attack roll, no nothin'.

Only 3 pages wasted on it, so not as bad as the 17 pages of "Infamous Dungeons."

Matt James

Game Developer
Good review. Thanks for putting it up.

When I designed the scrolls, though, I wasn't aware of D&D Next. The infamous dungeons are a good look-back at some of the cooler dungeons in the history of D&D. It seemed appropriate for the book, as I recall, as we started writing it.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Tony, thanks for the review, though I also have the impression that I would like the things you don't.

In any case, it looks like this is it for the edition. I guess its a good one to go out on.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Power Word: Kill
an alternative

Benefit: One mortal creature that the user can see drops to 0 hit points and dies. The target must be no greater than 4 levels higher than the user. The user loses the same number of hit points that the target lost.

Goal: will a player character sacrifice his/her life to use this scroll to kill a higher level dragon?

Quickleaf

Legend
Tony, thanks for the review, though I also have the impression that I would like the things you don't.

In any case, it looks like this is it for the edition. I guess its a good one to go out on.
Wait, are you saying the Dungeon Survival Handbook is the last 4e book that will be published? How could you know that? And what about Menzoberranzan in August? Not to mention any products they haven't unveiled yet?

Or has new information about Next's timeline come to light?

D'karr

Adventurer
Wait, are you saying the Dungeon Survival Handbook is the last 4e book that will be published? How could you know that? And what about Menzoberranzan in August? Not to mention any products they haven't unveiled yet?

Or has new information about Next's timeline come to light?

I think he means it's the last one in the current publishing schedule.

Menzo.. is system agnostic.

Remove ads