• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Into the Unknown

Pour

First Post
Thanks for the review, man. I guess I will be picking this up, just on the good stuff alone, but I do kind of resent the negative aspects in here. Does feel kind of disrespectful to the edition, but then again this edition never got much respect- save from the people that actually played it for more than a session.

Oh well, feel free to come lament with me at 4thparty, or better still come and keep the edition alive.

Given that 4e looks like being WoTC's longest lasting edition of D&D, I think the no respect charge is slightly unfair. (Seriously, 3.0 and 3.5 are completely separate editions. 3 years for 3.0, 5 for 3.5, 6 for 4e. Essentials isn't.) And as an edition it's IMO almost done anyway.

That said, what there was of Into the Unknown was excellent. But it was far too thin a book IMO.

Quickleaf

Legend
Given that 4e looks like being WoTC's longest lasting edition of D&D, I think the no respect charge is slightly unfair. (Seriously, 3.0 and 3.5 are completely separate editions. 3 years for 3.0, 5 for 3.5, 6 for 4e. Essentials isn't.) And as an edition it's IMO almost done anyway.

Wait what?? I've never heard anyone make the claim that 4e is the longest lasting edition of D&D. You must have a very interesting definition of "edition"? This I gotta hear.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Wait what?? I've never heard anyone make the claim that 4e is the longest lasting edition of D&D. You must have a very interesting definition of "edition"? This I gotta hear.
He specified "WotC D&D" and by the terms he defined, namely 3.0 and 3.5 being separate editions, while not counting Essentials as 4.5 - he is correct. If you count TSR D&D, then of course it isn't. :)

That said, there is plenty of room to argue that on either side.

Obryn

Hero
And yeah, looks like my suspicions may have been correct. The underdark-flavored stuff in Into the Unknown does, indeed, seem to have escaped from the Menzoberranzan supplement so the latter could be released as system-neutral.

-O

Matt James

Game Developer
And yeah, looks like my suspicions may have been correct. The underdark-flavored stuff in Into the Unknown does, indeed, seem to have escaped from the Menzoberranzan supplement so the latter could be released as system-neutral.

-O

The Menzo book is a separate suppliment and was worked on well after Into The Unknown :p

We worked on Into the Unknown with a good group that just wanted to do a neat Dungeon Survival book for 4e.

Remove ads