• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Intrinsic Gear (Epic)

Greybar

No Trouble at All
I mentioned this in the EPIC MAGIC thread, but haven't had enough time to get it going well, so I'm going to post it and hope it inspires other people, draws constructive criticism, or at least dies a quiet death.

Motivation:
(1 - Philosophical) The higher the level of the character, the more they seem to just be dripping with magic items. And yet my own concept of epic heroics is that the hero transcends material wealth and items and starts to embody a more abstract concept of hero. Eventually this leads cleanly to demigods and gods who have only a few signature items. This is good, since otherwise we'd have a Hercules who has a page of magic items alongside his stats just to keep up with the Joneses. And does anyone really care if Elric has a ring of protection +5 ... nah - he has Stormbringer and that's his burden. This also neatly explains why Balors and Solars only have a pittance of gear, rather than being fully decked out as you might expect a greedy, power-hungry demon to be.

(2 - Practical) Does anyone really like tracking wealth over a million gp? Worrying about what the cost of an item should be to the 100 gp or even 1000 gp? Does it seem like you're worrying about accounting more than kicking evil's butt?

Design Approach: Upper_Krust's system (at least when I last read it) placed wealth at 100 gp x Level^3. In general, the cost of items is based on bonus^2. We can draw a relationship and eliminate the exponential by saying the character has "intrinsic gear points" equal to their level.

This leads us to tables like this:
Code:
	20	21	22	23	24	25	26	27	28	29	30	31	32	33	34	35
gp	800000	926100	1064800	1216700	1382400	1562500	1757600	1968300	2195200	2438900	2700000	2979100	3276800	3593700	3930400	4287500
div lvl	40000	44100	48400	52900	57600	62500	67600	72900	78400	84100	90000	96100	102400	108900	115600	122500
Points Spent	Lvl Eq															
1	20	21	22	23	24	25	26	27	28	29	30	31	32	33	34	35
2	28	30	31	33	34	35	37	38	40	41	42	44	45	47	48	49
3	35	36	38	40	42	43	45	47	48	50	52	54	55	57	59	61
4	40	42	44	46	48	50	52	54	56	58	60	62	64	66	68	70
5	45	47	49	51	54	56	58	60	63	65	67	69	72	74	76	78

From which we can derive systems like the, based on the constant multiplier applied to the benefit. These are expressed as "base" (the benefit gained the first time you spend an instrinsic gear point) and "increment" (the increase in that benefit by spending additional points)

Base (Weapon, other 2000xBonusSquared) = 6 at level 21, +1 for every additional five levels.
Base (Armor, other 1000xBonusSquared) = 7 at level 21, +1 for every additional 3 levels.
Base (AC other than deflection, 2500xBonusSquared) = 4 at level 20, +1 for every additional six levels
Base (Skill bonus) = equal to level

Increment (Weapon) - each additional point, +1 to weapon enhancement value
Increment (Armor) - each additional point, +2 to armor enhancement value
Increment (2500base) - each additional point, +1 to AC bonus value
Increment (skill) - each additional point +5 to skill bonus

Same as Weapon = deflection AC bonus, natural armor bonus, bonus (non-resistance) to all SVs
Same as Armor = ability score bonus, bonus (resistance) to all SVs

Spell Resistance = level plus 8
Spell Resistance, increment = add two to SR base, maximum of level+15

Implementation: The idea in my mind is that upon reaching 21st level (or any level thereafter), the hero can decide to transcend items and convert their gear into instrinsic gear. They give up their items, somewhat like Vow of Poverty, (see note "retaining items" below) and gain a number of intrinsic gear points equal to their level. Everytime you level up, you gain another intrinsic gear point (and many of your existing intrinsic gear bonuses may increase).

* Retaining items: Another option would be to let them keep some instrinsic gear points set aside, each point of which is worth 100gp x level^2. This also helps cover items that are difficult to covert into this system.

* Epic spells: while I haven't worked it out, since epic spells are essentially a form of treasure, they would be converted into intrinsic gear points. This could simplify things, since you're more worried about whether a spell is worth 1 point or 2 points, rather than exactly how many gp. Note that they should scale up as the hero increases in level, as other abilities, which I personally think makes sense and is more fluid - allow the hero to add additional power to their spell naturally as they level up.

How do I handle Intrinsic Gear?: Intrinsic gear is part of the hero, an extension of their soul. Weapons, Armor, Shields, etc should be treated as if adamantine. They can be sundered and destroyed, but a good in-story reason simply restores them such as atonement with the smith-god who bestowed the weapon on the warrior, re-consecration at the holy pools within Celestia that bestows armor within your cleric's person, etc. Basically they can be destroyed for a "chapter" or series of chapters of your adventure. I see the intrinsic gear as being vulnerable to being suppressed by dispel, and treated as being created at a caster level equal to the ECL of the hero.

* Epic Rogues should, however, be able to steal instrinsic items, perhaps through a feat. Loki can still steal Thor's hammer.

What does this mean for game balance?: Intrinsic items are less flexible in many ways than real gear. You can't sell it on the spot if you need something different, and you have less granularity to make optimized choices (The latter part I consider a bit of an advantage). However, they are meant to be more powerful - the curve of increment should be tuned (if it isn't now) to slightly favor the instrinsic gear. Plus you can't get stripped naked by an MDJ.

In Closing: This little proposal is a long way from being ready for your campaign. I hope to try some playtesting in an arena type setting, perhaps here on ENWorld, but I frankly am frustrated by not having enough personal time to work out the details. This system needs lots of things - like ways to handle spellcasting items - one concept in my head is to treat an instrinsic epic staff much like a Leadership feat that causes you to have a little spellcaster of your own always on hand. But at worst I figure you can use the Intrinsic Point = 100gp x level^2 method to fake other items.

Constructive feedback is very welcome.

I hope to post some examples and ongoing thoughts as I have time.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I'm not keen on the notion of "gear points". Here's what I posted on the EPIC MAGIC thread, plus or minus a few edits:

Greybar said:
One aspect I like in some suggested variants which push these boundaries is that gear becomes less and less important compared to the inherent power of the beings. To drive it all the way to the divinities, the description of a battle god doesn't show him tripped out with cloaks of resistance, girdles of strength, and horns of morale-boosting beer. Any such items tend to be exceptional in power, or irrelevant and only for flavor. If the epic rules headed in the buff/permanency direction of assuming that beings were perma-buffed, then perhaps it would be easier to balance.

Great idea! To implement this I would create a whole category of "intrinsic goods" that are priced like ordinary items (also known as "extrinsic goods") and count toward treasure limits, but are part of the character's essence.

Intrinsic armor and weapons depend on their owner having physical armor and weapons. Though I suppose someone could use skin (armor bonus = natural armor bonus = 0) as a substitute for armor, (the shield bonus would also be 0), and use their fist as a weapon. The enhancement bonus would apply to whatever they were wielding/wearing, and this bonus would overlap (not stack) with whatever the item(s) already had. Other items don't require any physical manifestation; a wizard with an intrinsic headband of intellect +10 can be bareheaded and still enjoy the bonus.

Intrinsic items are considered supernatural effects. I don't know if they should be costed at a premium; you want players to take them, after all, which they won't do if it is too difficult or expensive. My first instinct is to make them available to epic characters without a feat, and at the same cost as items. Though it is good flavor to say that a distinctive, signature item can't be made intrinsic.

Intrinsic items can't be traded or sold, but nor can they be stolen (at least not easily). I wonder if they could be disjoined, like other magic items? Mage's disjunction is so broken it might be better just to ignore it. In general the difference is mostly flavor, not mechanical, and is based on a fairly abstract notion of treasure.

Intrinsic goods can be upgraded if PCs are below their treasure limit when they level up. This is like crafting or buying items, and so is subject to the DM's adjudication. A common requirement would be that a character have access to the magic item he wishes to internalize. Access to rituals and payments of xp are also possible, although upgrading a straightforward item (like an intrinsic belt of giant strength) shouldn't have any special requirements.

Most intrinsic goods would use up item slots (or "chakras"), and so can't be used if that slot is already occupied. I would recommend a feat that allows the player to "redeploy" one intrinsic item at will- pushing it to a different, unoccupied slot. So if the character wished to use magical headgear, he could temporarily redeploy the helm to the belt slot (if it is unoccupied). Or to one of the ring slots, or wherever. Since the intent is to reduce the amount of gear, I wouldn't allow Additional Magic Item Space; just Redeploy Intrinsic Magic Item.

Redeploy Intrinsic Magic
You can harmonize your essence with that of magical items
Benefit: Choose any intrinsic magic item you possess that occupies an item slot (such as a ring or belt). You may have this item occupy a different item slot instead. Redeploying an item is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, and is effective until you redeploy that item again.
Normal: Without this feat, a character cannot benefit from an intrinsic item if another magical item is occupying its slot. The 13 slots are: headband, hat or helmet; eye lenses or goggles; cloak, cape, or mantle; amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab; suit of armor; robe; vest, vestment, or shirt; pair of bracers or bracelets; pair of gloves or gauntlets; two rings; belt; pair of boots.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it allows an additional intrinsic magic item to be redeployed.

I think the transformation from stat-enhancing item to intrinsic power could be accomplished in a variety of ways - maybe by feat, or by epic spell, or by some campaign-determined means such as a quest.

I think that (initially, at first, until balance inquiries have been made) it should only apply to enhancement bonuses to ability scores. It would be a supernatural effect (not responsive to dispel magic or disjunction, but subject to suppression from an antimagic field. It would not stack with enhancement bonuses from items, and should cost 2x what an equivalent enhancement bonus would. Thrud, the 30th-level barbarian might have this entry in his stat block instead of possessing +10 belt of giant strength:

Giant Strength (Su): Thrud benefits from a +10 intrinsic bonus to his Strength. He does not benefit from items which offer an enhancement bonus to strength.

I guess at some point - when deification occurs - Thrud's intrinsic bonus would be subsumed in his ability score. I think that he should still be unaffected by enhancement bonuses, though - artifacts notwithstanding.

You could insist that before a character is deified, he meet the divine array (35, 28, 25, 25, 24, 24) via inherent and intrinsic bonuses.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I suspect we need to get some guidance from the original epics; e.g. the stories of heroes like Achilles and Beowulf. And from mythology; like the stories of Hercules.

I can never remember; was Achilles dipped into the Styx by his mother, thereby acquiring invulnerability, or was he put into a divine fire where most of his mortality was burned away? But he certainly has a number of intrinsic goods above and beyond his strength and combat ability. I think his shield and possibly his sword might have been special too. Someone with a better classical education than I would know.

Beowulf pulled Grendel's arm off, which indicates pretty significant strength. But I'm thinking that certain kinds of immunities and DR would also be appropriate for intrinsic goods.

The gifts of fey or djinn or devils could also work, especially if they have flavorful restrictions. Like not working on hallowed ground, in the case of a devilish gift. Or being contingent upon following some geas or another, in the case of a fey-derived intrinsic good (or angelic good; not being used for selfish purposes, say). These could lead into very interesting role-play opportunities if success against an adversary depended on learning the weakness of their gifts.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Sepulchrave II said:
You could insist that before a character is deified, he meet the divine array (35, 28, 25, 25, 24, 24) via inherent and intrinsic bonuses.

Who and how arrived at this 'divine array'? Just curious, not critical.

Greybar, I think this idea is great! It also has the benefit of eliminating the need to explain the presence of so many epic level items.

jaker2003

Explorer
Crazy Idea

why not create a 20 level Deify class for epic level characters?

you could subsume the 'inrinsic gear' along the progression

The class could have basic deific abilities as described in the handbook(s).

But it's probably just another crazy idea that won't work.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
There have been such classes (The Jester's Ascendant class comes to mind).

I find them inherently unsatisfying, since they even-out and dull differentiation between characters. If it is a caster-level granting class, then it doesn't fit the fighter-diety that well since you have to tone down other benefits to match the spellcasting. So then you end up making at least three classes (non-caster, divine, arcane) and still haven't done much that is in tune with the monk, rogue, etc...

And the PrC approach still doesn't address my picky bit that fuels this idea - the reduction and replacement of gear.

Remove ads