• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ioun Stone Questions

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Are Ioun Stones in orbit considered "Unattended Objects"? If so, then the first fireball that comes along is likely going to destroy them all (only 10 hp and 5 hardness).

Assuming I have an Ioun Stone in my Haversack, it would be a free action to prepare the stone; but then would it take another action to put it into orbit for use? If so, would this be a move equivalent, or a standard action?

smetzger

Explorer
Xahn'Tyr said:
Are Ioun Stones in orbit considered "Unattended Objects"? If so, then the first fireball that comes along is likely going to destroy them all (only 10 hp and 5 hardness)

No, they are part of your person.

ControlFreak

First Post
Re: Re: Ioun Stone Questions

smetzger said:

No, they are part of your person.
Hang on a second ... I asked this same question a month ago and got the exact opposite answer! And that answer was that the Ioun Stones need to make their own saves for a fireball .. that's the disadvantage of using them.

CF

dcollins

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Ioun Stone Questions

ControlFreak said:
Hang on a second ... I asked this same question a month ago and got the exact opposite answer!

Don't always listen to the first person who chimes in on a thread. :)

Artoomis

First Post
I think I'd call them "animated" as opposed to "unattended". They have their own AC, etc.

Ioun stones have an AC of 24, 10 hit points, and a hardness of 5

And they stay 1d3 feet away from you. No, they are not on your person. They won't last long in a fireball! I guess you need to be careful about when you use them.

I'm not sure what their Reflex save should be - I seem to recall seeing some rules on saves for objects, and I think it is not very good.

Hmmm.... they sound rather fragile when handled this way, but that does seem to be the rules. I'd be generous with their Reflex saves, and consider giving them the effects of improved evasion, perhaps, though it's a stretch.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
IIRC, magic items have saves equal to 2+1/2 their caster level. This is the caster level set at creation.

If the item is intelligent, it can add its own Wis modifier to this total for Will saves.

Number47

First Post
I'm not so sure that these objects are "unattended". Sure, they aren't physically touching you. On the other hand, when you move your head, they move. When you are in a fireball's effect, you can get out of the way. If you get out of the way, so do they.

Artoomis

First Post
Number47 said:
I'm not so sure that these objects are "unattended". Sure, they aren't physically touching you. On the other hand, when you move your head, they move. When you are in a fireball's effect, you can get out of the way. If you get out of the way, so do they.

A pretty reasonable argument.

The answer: Decide for yourself, I guess.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
A couple bits from the SRD:

Unattended nonmagical items never make saving throws. They are considered to have failed their saving
throws, so they always are affected by (for instance) a disintegrate spell. An item attended by a combatant (being grasped, touched, or worn) receives a saving throw just as if the
combatant herself were making the saving throw.

Magic items always get saving throws. A magic item's Fortitude, Reflex, and Will save bonuses are equal to 2 + one-half its caster level. Attended magic items either make saving throws as their owner or use their own saving throws, whichever are better
(Object): The spell can be cast on objects, which receive
saving throws only if they are magical or if they are attended (held, worn, grasped, etc.) by a creature resisting the spell

So does "orbiting around your head" count as "held, worn, grasped, etc."? I've no idea; I guess maybe it could be an "etc.".

At least they are +8 on their saves, and I think something in the PHB says fire doesn't do full damage to things like rocks (damned if I can find it though). Maybe they would be ok.

Remove ads