iPad

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
Who (here) has a half a grand to chuck out, for 6 to 8 hours of play, per week or per month?
:::Waves hand::: But the reason I have that kind of money laying around is because:

1. I make better then pretty good money
  2. I'm semi-careful about what I spend my cash on
  3. I don't spend it frivolously on stuff that won't make my gaming or hobbies more enjoyable
  4. I spend what I do have on things that have maximum impact (Netbook vs. iPadand)
For that money, I could buy my daughter her own Xbox so she stops using mine. :p

In all honesty, I suspect that in a couple of revisions/updates the iPad will see my money, but it's gotta do more than it currently does.

-Not reading the entire thread-

Sorry, no frakkin' RPG tabletop tech is worth a half a grand.

For GM use...highly possible.

For players, not right now.

I really don't want to spoil the dreams of many...but let the TRUE plain reality of what can be feasible stand before you.

Who (here) has a half a grand to chuck out, for 6 to 8 hours of play, per week or per month?
People who want to buy it only for gaming? I'd expect very few (but as you can see, at least Doc_Klueless would consider it).

People who would find it useful for many things including gaming? I imagine quite a few, myself included.

So I certainly wouldn't buy it solely for gaming, I don't have that kind of money around. But I would find it useful for school (VERY useful), blog reading, video watching, reading messageboards like this, many gaming uses, etc. - in fact, I think I could do 90% of what I regularly do with my home PC (and then use LogMeIn.com for the other 10%). In that case, yes, I am considering it (and am mostly debating the utility now vs potential improvements in a year). But, yeah, I wouldn't buy it just for gaming unless I had double my current income.

Also, another thought occurred to me - wouldn't it be great if Apple getting behind the iBookstore would help WotC feel comfortable about selling digital books again?

Last edited:

Aeolius

Adventurer
I'm one of those Mac Forever! types, but I don't think I'll be buying an iPad in the near future.
I've already signed up to be notified when they are shipping. Yes, the first generation of the device reminds me of the first iPod; clunky, limited storage, and an awkward interface. Did I mention that I bought the first generation iPod the day they came out? ;)

I intend to test the limits of the device in a few ways; a home automation remote control (bigger screen than the iPod Touch is a good thing), as a replacement for the "40-Pound Backback" my kids in highschool have to lug about, and as a nifty means to read books in the throne room.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
I'm actually ok with the aspect ratio. It's a compromise between the aspect ratio of movies and the aspect ratio of paper. It's also an aspect ratio that is common and, therefore, cheaper to produce.

Aeolius

Adventurer
dude, remind me never to touch your iPad or iPod touch...

iPeed? ;)

Here's hoping that [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wagnalls-Standard-Dictionary-Folklore-Mythology/dp/0062505114/ref=pd_sim_b_1"]Funk & Wagnalls Standard Dictionary of Folklore, Mythology, and Legend[/ame] , [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-American-Museum-Natural-History/dp/0756636922/ref=pd_sim_b_1"]OCEAN[/ame] , and a few other gems like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Imaginary-Beings-Penguin-Classics-Deluxe/dp/0143039938/ref=pd_sim_b_3"]The Book of Imaginary Beings[/ame] are available on the iPad. It'd be nice to duplicate the small library of books I keep in there...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm actually ok with the aspect ratio. It's a compromise between the aspect ratio of movies and the aspect ratio of paper. It's also an aspect ratio that is common and, therefore, cheaper to produce.

I wish more things were done in the 1 : root 2 ratio as per the A-series paper used in Europe and elsewhere. That would be the ideal compromise between movie aspect ratio and paper aspect ratio for me ;)

Remove ads