(IR) IR Interlude Turn 6 - Turn 7 (thread 4)

William Ronald

Explorer
OOC: Melkor, I am posting a few things from the temp boards here. I believe that you would have to take all your forces into Ravenloft if you accept the offer. Also, do realize that the Dark Powers are trying to manipulate you, to tempt you. Edena is doing his job as a DM in having them try to do so.

Melkor, I hope this helps you to make your decision.

William Ronald wrote:

Melkor, everything in this post is completely out of character. Everything here is stuff your character would likely have learned upon hearing about Ravenloft.

Any power that enters there as a Dark Lord is a prisoner. They suffer eternally. They can never escape. They can not influence other worlds to any appreciable degree. Going into Ravenloft is rather like jumping into a black hole. You can't get out and you will be crushed. You will be in a prison worse than the one Forrester put your character in earlier in the IR.

You always have choices. Ravenloft is worse than you can imagine. Your character essentially becomes a prisoner. I suggest you do a web search on Ravenloft if you doubt me.

I am trying to be helpful to another player in this. Edena and everyone, can you explain the consequences of Melkor becoming a Dark Lord of Ravenloft. Indeed, most of what the Dark Lords in Ravenloft do is meant to free them from the Domain of Dread. They are trapped, and so would you if you seek to enter.

You could decide to try to return to the peace conference. You are being presented with only two options by the Dark Powers. You can always make your own way. Also, saying that they will bow to you may make them VERY ANGRY.

You may wonder why I am doing this. Someone in the IR asked people to do this. Out of respect for you as a player.

Melkor, you have little idea what you are doing. Can some of the other players let Melkor what they know about Ravenloft.

Edena of Neith wrote:

Melkor, you may change your mind, if you wish.
If you wish to talk with William OOC about this, please go ahead.

However, whatever your decision is, 24 hours from now it is final.

William, you underestimate the danger. Think about this:

If Melkor becomes a Darklord, and the rest of you are pulled into Ravenloft and his Domain, well ... you know what happens next.

If Melkor becomes a Darklord, and the rest of you manage to avoid being pulled into Ravenloft, they still have Melkor.

If Melkor refuses to go to Ravenloft, he stays and fights the rest of you, which hastens the process of you all being pulled into Ravenloft.

Any way you cut it, the Dark Powers win.

William Ronald wrote:

I understand Edena.

The decision is Melkor's, of course. However, I would urge him to reconsider going to Ravenloft. This will hand the Dark Powers a partial victory.

Melkor may still be defeated or emerge triumphant over the rest of us. If we do not go to Ravenloft - regardless of the outcome - a player in the IR will emerge victorious.

However, Melkor's victory or defeat would be lessened if we go to Ravenloft.

Melkor, you can reconsider. I would prefer you to win or lose based on your own efforts. Also, when a DM gives you a chance to avoid something, it is usually a good idea to take it. What the Dark Powers promise is too good to be true. Like most such things, it is too good to be true.

Melkor, I do want to defeat you. However, I would not consign an enemy to a place like Ravenloft in real life - let alone in a game. You have the power to win if you can organize the proper alliance. I would not like to have your efforts diminished by the Dark Powers. You are too good of a player and a role player to deserve this.

William Ronald

You can e-mail me at williamwronald@aol.com

kaboom

First Post
Helping hands

After leaving the World Forum, the Chosen start to help people. When someone is in pain, a Chosen is there to help him or her. If they do not want help, the Chosen leaves, wishing that person good luck with whatever troubled them. They do not attempt make converts, but if someone wants to join the ranks of the faithful, then that person is given directions to a place where they can receive training.

OOC: Edena, I need to know whether my plots that I emailed you will work.

William Ronald

Explorer
A voice for calm and hope

Gwilym rushes over to the lost child and helps her find her parent or guardian. He is loving and protective.

Hazen prays to Rao and all the powers of light that he can reach through to those who need to hear this message on Oerth, on Toril, and beyond. He prays that the Angels will aid his efforts and reach out to those in pain. He prays that the Angels or an Angel will stand beside him, if they will. He prays that people will listen.

“Peoples of Toril, of Oerth, and many worlds, I humbly and respectfully ask to address you.” There is a look of love, compassion, and understanding in his face. He appears in the form that he has been given, that of an Angel.

“Perhaps I should explain the political nature of Oerth to the good and reasonable people of Toril and Realmspace.”

“I am president of the Kevellond League, a group of nations in the west central Flanaess. I am also President of the Oerth Alliance, also referred to the Alliance of Oerth. Many of the neutral and good nations of Oerth stand with me. The Baklunish Confederation, The Lortmils Technomancy, the Pomarj, The Union of Light and Shadow, The Sky-Sea League, the Peoples of Ishatarland, the Alliance of the Northwest Crescent, the peoples of Telchuria and the Thrillonian peninsula, The Rising Sun Alliance, and many other nations are members of the Oerth Alliance. We are many nations who are allied together, believing that together we can protect the sovereignity, the dignity, and the rights of our peoples. Humans, elves, half-elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, half-orcs, and humanoids are valued members of our alliance.”

“We are not a super government, but rather a coalition of like minded people. At this peace conference, we have vowed to treat all here with respect. Although it is obviously difficult at times. I am providing the media with information on the Alliance, and on all powers that have interacted with Oerth.”

“Anabstercorian is allied with Mina, a native of Krynn. She is a follower of the One God, who is worshipped on Krynn.”

“Lord Melkor and Lord Iuz are members of what they call the Pantheon of Glowing Darkness. It seems to worship darkness as the primary part of the cycle of life. I am still trying to understand the meanings of Iuz’s words under their fair cloak. I ask you to judge all of us by our actions which I will now detail. A wise man once said that the truth will set us all free. I shall share all that I know with you”

At this point, Hazen will tell EVERYONE of what has happened in the IR to the best of his knowledge. He provides information on the worlds, cultures, nations, and personages involved in the IR and their actions and words. (Obviously Hazen is not telling them how to contact the Dark Powers. He will offer the same explanation that he did so earlier for not doing so.) He will also use his abilities to show people what has happened. He even shares how he was willing to be tortured for the good of Oerth and its peoples. The people watching this message shall hear and see what has transpired in the IR.)

“People of Toril, I urge you to find peace and reconciliation. Forrester and Ian Payne and many others fought hard to build a better world for all of you. If Forrester has said something ill of the elves, I ask that you consider pardoning him. Even the greatest of mortals must grapple with the darkness inside themselves. And Forrester is truly among the most remarkable persons I have ever known. For my part, I have been his friend and a defender of his character. I have prayed fervently for his well being, his return, and for Toril and its people.”

“Did I criticize Forrester for some of his actions? Yes. Good people, even friends can disagree. Good people, great leaders, can make mistakes and be wrong. The elves and the humanoids of Toril have made a remarkable peace, a peace that honors the greatness of their peoples and the memory of Ian Payne. Embrace each other and reconcile. Perhaps Forrester has left you to confront his own inner demons and doubt. We all have them. However, my heart tells me that Forrester would not wish to see the United Commonwealth of Toril split asunder or Toril at war with itself. I pray that he will return to you in greater majesty and wisdom than he has shown before. Ian Payne, were he among you, would counsel the peoples of the UC of Toril and Realmspace to reconcile, to recognize their common bond, their heritage, and their desire to protect what they hold dear: Realmspace, their peoples, and nations.”

“There are many who share both humanoid and elven blood. Do not quarrel among yourselves, people of Toril. Do not make these wonderful children – intelligent, wise, swift, strong, and beautiful – chose between mother and father. Love one another. Respect one another.”

“I prepared weapons of Oerthblood – which you know now can counteract the Red Waste for use by your soldiers. Forrester chose another tactic than I anticipated, but only he can explain his actions. I say again that I can forgive a repentant heart.

“For my part, the Oerth Alliance and I stood with the UC of Toril. We treated its soldiers and citizens as honored guests. We have defended the good name of Toril and Forrester from those who spoke ill of them. We stood side by side with your sons and daughters who fought to protect those who saw the glory and goodness within them. I am eternally in their debt

“There is a statue of the brave soldiers of Toril who defended my people from the rampage of robots. My people are eternally grateful to the people of Toril, especially the United Commonwealth of Toril. Many of the Oerth Alliance fought side by side with your sons and daughters. We are honored by their heroism.”

“At this peace conference, I have tried to give everyone respect even when I doubt their words and their actions. I am trying to behave in a civilized and courteous manner to those whom seek to destroy me and my people. For while I am at this peace conference, I shall not fight save to defend myself or protect the innocent. If war comes, I am prepared to fight for my people and my world.”

“However, I consider the people of Toril to be friends worthy of respect and honor. You have truly built a remarkable civilization. I humbly ask you to reconcile with your neighbors. We are all akin in the great family of being – whether we call ourselves human, elf, humanoid, phaerimm or another name. We are all brethren – whether we are citizens of Oerth, of Toril, of Athas, of Mystara, of Krynn, or other worlds.”

“Lord Kalanyr’s statement was that he agreed with Anabstercorian’s statement that Melkor uses his speech and those reasons merely to decieve he has no intention of peace merely a desire to let us become weak before he strikes. Lord Kalanyr has shown us by his example how any soul can rise from darkness and despair into light, hope, love, and joy. He is not an ally of Anabstercorian. Nor am I. I have told you of Anabstercorian’s actions. I ask Lord Kalanyr to further explain his position.”

“Lady Siobhan Silivrenur, Leader of the Union of Light and Shadow, has stated ‘here are some factions set on the destruction of Oerth..those people must change before any lasting peace can arise with them. It's to nobody's benefit for the Dartk Powers and the Mists to claim Oerth.’ The same is true for Toril, Athas, Mystara and Krynn. I have told you some of the histories of many worlds.”

“You may ask what is Krynn or Athas of Mystara to me? Yet from what I have told you, there are lives which would be honored by your greatest heroes. People of Toril, consider what I told you of Goldmoon, a woman of principle and courage. I believe I can safely say that Ian Payne and Goldmoon were they among you would recognize each other as kindred spirits. Both saw the power of love being greater than hate. Faith greater than doubt and courage to be greater than fear.”

“Each of us has the power to shape our own destinies, to chose between light and darkness, good and evil, love and hate, hope and despair. Whether we call our home Toril, Oerth, Athas, Krynn, Mystara or by another name, we all have that choice. Each of us is capable of the ultimate enlightenment and the ultimate in heroism.”

“Ian Payne at one time thought he was a man without power. But he had the power of his heart, his mind, and the courage of his convictions. Because of his love for all of Toril and its peoples, the Angels themselves, in their holiness, beauty and might, descended from the Seventh Heavens. They stood soldier to soldier with the people of Toril to save a great and wonderful world and its peoples equally great and wondrous. In the four decades since Ian Payne left behind his mortal coil, and I believe, went to the side of One whom before the Angels kneel and fiends tremble, the people of Toril have labored to fulfill his dreams. He would be proud of what you have achieved and distressed at the dissension in a world he loved with all his heart, all his soul, and all his might.”

“I pray to all that is sacred and holy that he can speak to the world that he loves. If he does not, then I pray listen to his words, his teachings, and observe the actions of a most remarkable life.”

“I believe that the people of Toril and all worlds have the power to make a destiny truly worthy of their peoples. The wisdom is within our cultures, our faiths, and in ourselves. We can chose what reality we make, whether it is to fall into the Dimension of Dread or rise to new possibilities of hope, love, civilization, goodness, and enlightenment. The choice is yours. It has always been yours.”

“Today, I am pleased to announce that the Kevellond League and its allies and the Baklunish-Esmerin Confederation and their allies have agreed to unite as a single great nation. We are currently drafting a constitution to ensure a representative form of government. We have decided to call ourselves the United Federation of Oerth. Each of our members will keep their own laws and customs, and their nobility if they chose. Indeed, we are working on a tri-cameral legislature with a Congress, a Senate, and a House of Lords. We believe that what unites all of us is far more important than what divides us. Our members include Esmerin, Orcreich, Erypt, and Suhfang. We are one and many. Unity and diversity in all their glory made manifest in our government and society. All shall enjoy the protection of their civil liberties and all people shall be free to forge a greater destiny. Our Constitution in part is modeled after that of the United Commonwealth of Toril and that of some of the nations of another world, Earth. I shall speak more of Earth shortly.”

“In my remarks, I briefly referred to a world known as Earth and a friend Arthur MacKeppoch. I am including all the knowledge that he gave me of his world, its faiths, its history, and cultures. At its peak, its peoples had achieved more with what they had than Toril has achieved. Their achievements at the least equaled and probably surpassed that of the City of the Gods, whom the top scientists of Oerth and Toril now research. I asked MacKeppoch to address Oerth when nuclear weapons were first developed. Perhaps the wisdom of Earth shall help Oerth and Toril and other worlds gain new wisdom. I give this knowledge freely as a gift. Perhaps their knowledge and wisdom shall help save us all. Hear the words of my friend, Arthur MacKeppoch of Earth. I pray that our worlds will avoid a fate like his world suffered.”

(OOC: Yes, I did search through the boards for my Gamma World post, which I reproduce here. I spent well over an hour constructing this post, and pouring my heart and mind into it. As should be apparent to all, Hazen is trying his utmost to save Oerth, Toril, Krynn, Athas, and Mystara from a horrible fate. In the absence of Erica Lesage, Hazen is doing his best. This speech is likely taking a very long time but Hazen will try to do all that he can for Oerth and all the worlds. Even if it kills him.)

THE GUARDIANS OF EARTH SPEAK: A WARNING FROM GAMMA WORLD
Archcleric Hazen stands in an empty field at twilight, flanked by the demigods Mordenkainen, Heward, Keoghtom, and dozens if not hundreds of dragons. Emperor Cho-Je Paser and Empress Taizu are there, as are their ghostly predecessors Emperor Pa-ser the First and Empress Kuan Yi. Gwilym Raonul, Lord William Ronald, Murghtom the Old, and Fand Dyvyr, druidess of Beory, stand by him.

Before him sits a device of technological manufacture. It is perhaps three feet high and cylindrical.

“I warned of the peril to Oerth from the use of nuclear weapons. It would seem that some people are still unconvinced of the peril they represent. So, I contacted an old friend. “

“Some decades ago, I was gone for a considerable time. I journeyed not just to distant lands of Oerth, but different worlds, different realities. In one, I encountered a devastated world where the inhabitants knew nothing of magic. It was only with some difficulty that I returned to Oerth. I spoke with my friend last night. He wishes to address our world.”

“I beg you to consider the words of a man who lives in a world without magic, where nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction were used to horrific effect. He and his brothers-and-sisters-in-arms have fought for their world as boldly as any have fought for Oerth.”

Hazen presses a single button. Above the heads of the dragons, an image forms.

A world much like Oerth. Large portions of it seem to be barren and devastated. Still, tropical jungles, rainforests, forests, and trees can be seen. There are only very small ice caps at both poles. The scene swishes to ruined cities of steel and glass. A few towers still stand, a mile high, but shattered. Most of the buildings are shattered and burned beyond all recognition of what they were some time ago. Humans and what seem to be altered humans and animals are fighting in the ruins – against each other. They are using swords and bows. Machine guns. Energy weapons. A small band of beings of all races, including something looking like a treant, are trying to tend to the wounded, and call for peace.

The image shifts, then focuses on an island. A man stands on the shore. He is tall, pale of skin and with a serious, haunted face. He is dressed in armor of a type never seen on Oerth before. It is a technological armor far beyond anything seen in the armies of Toril or even on the robots of the City of the Gods. He walks to a hill, where he is joined by many figures.

Men and women of many shapes and colors. Some of the figures seem to be altered from the standard human form. One looks almost elven, save for his antennas and bat like wings. Others look like anthropomorphic wolves, lions, horses, dolphins and other creatures. Some even look like treants or myconids. Two appear to be robotic. Several of the non-robotic figures have obvious cybernetic parts. One or two look quite horrific, with faces that seem like melted wax, shaped by crude hands into a mockery of a face.

Several of the figures stand by the man. A woman grasps his hands tightly.

“Greetings, people of Oerth. My name is Arthur MacKeppoch. The people with me are members of the Guardians of Earth. Earth, my world, is much like Oerth and Toril. However, there is a key difference. Magic was never a part of this world. While many of us honor a deity or deities, we do not derive power from them. Indeed, our civilization – and what is left of it – is based on science and technology. Additionally, we were all of the same species. Homo sapiens. Wise man. A name that proved to be ironic, if not a bitter joke.”

“I have lived centuries. I was born after the first use of atomic weapons, to end a horrific war. I saw the nations of the world unite to solve their common problems. The weapons were disassembled or put aside. We thought war was banished forever. We were wrong.

“Behold my world at its height:

Cities, more marvelous than the City of the Gods appear. A crowd is standing in front of a giant video screen in a great city. They are indeed a diverse lot. No illness or infirmity is seen in any of them.

An image of a starship in orbit of Earth appears. It begins accelerating away from the planet.

“The Starship Warden is on its way to its maiden voyage to colonize the worlds of the Alpha Centauri A and B system. The first interstellar journey of humanity will reach their destination in 8 years.”

The crowd cheers.

Other images appear. Flying ships. Orbiting space stations. Cybernetic implants. A man steps on a silvery pad and vanishes, appearing on a similar pad a 100 feet away.

“All needs of the people of my world were meet by an advanced society and a benign global government, which its member nations formed. Within a few decades of what you saw, we even found a way to move ships at speeds faster than light. Except for one ship, they were never built. Disaster struck.”

An image is shown of people protesting and police officers separating two separate groups of protesters. A blinding flash is seen. Smoke rises, and the shadowy outlines of where bodies once were are seen. Others are burned and mutilated almost beyond recognition. A few horribly disfigured people.

“My wife Sarah died that day. Only Hazen’s actions - impossible by anything but the magic your world and others possess - brought her back. I doubt many of you know what is like to love someone for centuries, raise a family, and work towards building a better world. I pray that none of you ever know what it is like to have that torn from you.”

“The peoples of the world, their physical needs meet began to squabble amongst one another on many issues. Who had the best culture or economy? How should the world be governed? And of course, there were ancient hatreds that were only half buried. They fought amongst themselves. Terrorists bent on the destruction of the world struck and fanned the flames of war.”

“I sought to be a force for peace. Peace failed. The global missile defense system was sabotaged. One nation attacked another. Within hours, billions of people died. Hatred destroyed my world.”

Images appear of weapons far more horrific than the City of the Gods exploding. Cities and civilians vanish, are mutilated and burned. People howl in pain, as they are burned alive and others vanish. Mountains collapse. A sea boils. Forests burn. A cloud of dark soot, smoke, and ash covers the globe. Later, a few people huddle in ruins over a darkened sky. Their faces are portraits of terror. Many are badly burned.

“Many of the survivors perished in the cold and the dark. However, radiation proved a lingering threat for many. As did hunger.”

An image is shown of a newborn lying down in a crib in a brightly lit room. Where its mouth should be is a third eye, overly large, turned 90 degrees from where it should be. A woman howls in grief.

Another image is shown of a ruined building in a darkened sky. It should be noon, but it appears to be twilight. Haggard survivors desperately dig through the rubble, until one screams in delight at finding a single can of food. The survivors are seen fighting each other, the faces a mixture of shame, anger and joy at finding food. One man lies dead as his companions eat the canned food, and some eye the body with hungry expressions.

“Millions more died. Many births were altered by radiation, and people died young of cancer and other diseases. As was written in my youth, the living envied the dead.”

Images are shown of horrifically altered people, plants and animals. Some beings are barely recognizable from their ancestral stock.

“ In time, some beneficial mutations showed up. Telepathy, the ability to gather and use energy as a weapon, and even stranger abilities manifested among people, animals, and even plants. Sentience blossomed riotously through out the wreckage of the world. The price was only the deaths of more than 95 percent of all living things, and the destruction of a civilization that took millennia to build. Some of you may consider that a small price for such power.”

“Slowly, new nations and tribes formed. Of humans, mutant humans, animals, and plants –even androids, artificial life, that is. They fought amongst themselves and wondered at the remnants of a lost world. New threats emerged.”

“In time, I and my allies secured a continent and began world wide operations to rebuild what was lost and restore the dignity of Earth. Our work has taken centuries and will take centuries still to complete.”

“In a time of darkness, when the survival of Earth was imperiled, Hazen and several of his allies appeared. They did things that we believed were impossible. They resurrected people from ash. The best our science could do was to try to revive the recently dead. Because of the efforts of some people of this world and Oerth, was Earth spared.”

“Therefore, I urge you to consider the course that lies ahead of you. The antimatter bombs that destroyed many of your great cities were clean of the deadly and mutating radiation that struck the cities of my world. Please, for the sake of your world, we urge you to have great care with these weapons. They may be used mistakenly or seized by terrorists.”

“We cannot help you, only advise. Your world faces many perils, many of your own devising.”

“There are some who would ask all “off-world” powers to leave, even those that originally came from Oerth. It is our suspicion that this is being asked so that a great empire – now calling itself the Union of Oerth - can merely move against its weakened neighbors, conquering all. Indeed, the only decision that would be left to that empire would be whether or not to attack another world. The presence of the Angels of Hope Island may deter this. We are uncertain of claims by some of having reformed are true. Let it be proved by deeds, not words. I should let you know that I have been active in politics, military strategy, and science for centuries. The plans of the powers of your world are rather obvious. Also, I played chess against Kasparov, Karpov, Fischer, Zhou, and Hawthorne – and won against each.”

“The Solistarim are racists, seeking to conquer and annihilate all. Anabstercorian seeks to build a force to take revenge on his native world – for not fighting his vision of what it should be. And to rebuild the Illithid Empire, which never touched our universe. And never will.”

“Acerak seeks to conquer and devour all. His claims of devouring souls to save them from damnation sounds like a bad public service commercial. I suppose it soothes what is left of his conscience – and completely justifies any actions. How convenient.”

“The Church of Shade seeks domination of all. We find their attempts at diplomacy almost amusing. If you were not so hateful, we would forward the book “Diplomacy for Dummies” to you.”

“You are also threatened with the break up of your own planet. If you cooperate with the one power left on your world with 10th level magic, and help him achieve 11th level magic, you may survive. We suggest that you cooperate. It is your decision.”

“I find the claims of some factions to be all powerful amusing. Power. None of you have any idea of what power is. Evil. I know of an evil that makes the Illithid Empire of old seem like a band of schoolyard bullies and Lord Melkor a paralyzed tyrant on a life support machine.”

“There are powers for good and evil beyond your comprehension. One of those powers of good shields our universe from yours. They also oppose a power of evil that has destroyed worlds and suns. Had they encountered the Illithid Empire, they would have enslaved it or killed it depending on their whims. The same also for Acerak or Lord Melkor, or even Ilsenine himself.”

“That power is far greater and more evil than any power ever known to Oerth and Toril. Perhaps that threat is what Toril faces now. In which case, I believe Acerak, Anabstercorian, and the Church of Shade should pray that Toril triumphs. If not, Oerth is likely to be the next target.”

“Sometime after Hazen left, we found a ship that could swiftly reach the stars and found one of the powers opposed to the threat that I believe now faces Toril. That power shields Earth, allowing us to rebuild. I suggest you do not try to provoke them by attempting to come here. You will be hurled back to your world in pain.”

The next message is sent telepathically, the voices of thousands, if not millions ringing as one in the minds of all the people of Oerth. Any mind bent towards hatred of Earth or a desire to possess it feels pain beyond belief:

“It is up to you to choose your own destiny. Choose wisely. We of Earth wish you well. This is likely the only time you shall here from us for quite some while.”

The image vanishes and the device disappears.

Hazen speaks as a frown forms on his face.

“The door between universes is closed again. I suggest that none attempt to pry it open.”

“It is up to us to choose what to do with these weapons of mass destruction. I would urge all to consider not using them. I do not dictate, but merely advise.”

“Kessel Gnomeworks is as a brother to me. I will respect his decision, even if I disagree with it. We must be cautious even in considering the construction of these weapons, let alone their use. However, I fear there are those who would use such weapons brazenly. What do we wish for our world? To take our people to the stars, in power, glory, and nobility of spirit, or to fall further than we did long ago.”

“The choice is yours. The hour is late. The multiverse is waiting.”

A gold dragon weeps by Hazen’s side. “This is worse than what I saw in my youth. How could they survive such catastrophes in a world without magic?”

“They almost did not survive. Only through courage and great sacrifice were a handful of Earth’s people saved. Let us pray that Oerth does not share the fate of Earth, a world some call Terra, and some have even called Gamma Terra, that is Gamma World. The third world, a world of wonders amid great sorrows.”
“People of Toril and of Oerth and countless other worlds, I have shared all that I know with you. You are wise, and deserve to know the truth in order to chose your own destiny. I have shared what little wisdom I possess with you. I dedicate myself to the good of Oerth and all worlds, of life itself. You can choose the future of your world. You have the power to rise to the goodness of an Ian Payne or of a Goldmoon. Or you can chose to descend into darkness and hate. You are better than that. I know you. I have walked at one time or another through Oerth, Toril, Mystara, Krynn, and Athas and other worlds besides. Each of us has the power to love, to forgive, to understand, and make a future worthy of our ancestors, of our own potential, and of our posterity.”

“I love my world dearly and I am very concerned about the fate of worlds that I know and love. There is much that is good and remarkable in all your cultures. Please, I beg of you to chose Light over Darkness, Good over Evil, Love over Hate, and Forgiveness over Enmity. You have this power, we all do. I am honored to have spoken with you, and for a brief time to have shared my life with yours.”

“I have tried to show my willingness to sacrifice for the good of others. Each of us is capable of such goodness if we listen to what MacKeppoch has called the angels of our better nature. If you find it hard in your heart to forgive, call out on the powers of good and light. Call upon the Angels to minister to you and strengthen you. Peoples of Oerth, Toril, Athas, Krynn, and Mystara and all the worlds, know that you are loved and respected. If each of us chose to do so, we can build a future that honors the best in us all. I thank you for your time, my friends, my brethren.”

Hazen bows to the audience in a gesture of respect. Even with the powers granted unto him, like to that of an Angel, he is weary and it shows. There is a look of hope and love on his face.

Reprisal

First Post
My apologies everyone, I've been a bit tied up with my final exams and studying for such exams... The good news is that I've completed my History and International Relations exams, and only have two more ahead of me... I find, however, that I've fallen behind (yet again)...

All right, well, these are the issues as far as I know of:

(1) The United Commonwealth is starting to break up due to the First and Second Touches, as well as the actions and repercussions of the whole "Forester Affair." This is definately a detrimental process in the minds of the government, especially in these dangerous times...

(2) Enemies of the Commonwealth have allied themselves with the Eternal Empire, the UC's next door neighbour. Therefore, the threat is compounded and something must be done, militaristically or diplomatically.

As a result, the UC of Toril will act, but at this particular moment, I'm still busy... Expect a reply Friday evening.

If anyone has any issues to bring up with me, e-mail me at my address in my Profile... Thanks! :cool:

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
Edena,

I ask that you consider Reprisals message on Friday to be delivered in a timely manner.

It may be assumed that this message occurs in game time, brief minutes after Reprisal's post.

Also, we need more people to post. Some have been busy, some have been ill. However, if you can please post. Your voice is your vote in how the IR is determined. We, the players of the IR, can shape its ultimate destiny.

Creamsteak

Explorer
The four court members of Delrune, brought here to the home of peace on Toril shall sit silent no more. The words of the Archcleric are enough to break their soveriegn silence. They do not begin with speaches and unprepared talk, they applaud. They stand up, and applaud the Archcleric.

Sanctus Punitor - Sanctus applauds out of respect for Hazen, and out of some fealing that there is a level of heroism that he is partaking in, eminating the light of by watching Hazen.

Regina Canities - Regina applauds with tears in her eyes. The second Gamma world sending was the same as the first, but it is far more than she can bear. She turns to cry on Baeron's shoulders as the court members look into Hazen.

Brohagan - Brohagan is the Paladine of Zakarum's Hand and is not known for much. He is the Lancelot of Sanctus Punitor's round table. He is also the devout bodyguard of Sanctus. Brohagan applauds the Archcleric and thinks about the decietfulness of the forces of evil, whether proven as deceit or not. He thinks about how unfortunate it would be for someone to trap an entire world in Ravenloft. He thinks about how pointless fighting is. He thinks about how much he wants to end this war.

Baeron - Baeron the Dwarf is a clan leader in his tribe. He is the largest and stoutest Dwarf there. He is the most shaken of the court members. He literally falls on the floor, but his hands are still held alloft in the air, applauding the Archcleric. He reaches for his axe sheeth, a leather sac, to cry into, but finds that his weapon was confiscated and his leather is not available. He too, cries on Brohagan's shoulders.

Sanctus waits to see the people follow his applause. He waits patiently for such a front. He also considers to himself what he is worthy to say. He steps up to the podium finally and stands behind Hazen, waiting his turn to speak. He waits for the audience to applaud, and then recess appropriately.

"The Archcleric speaks the truth. The Red Goo, the Touch, and the poor mune of Luna on Oerth are what must be cured. Pacify your aggesive urges. Good and Evil will wage war another day. Heal the planet, heal the moon, heal the touch. Remove these three and all things that would support them, and then the multiverse will unify itself."

"Do not simply be swayed by the last to speak. Do not automatically follow whomever spoke last. Think about this rationally, and what is to blame? Not Melkor, Iuz, or Anabstercorrian. Not any man of his own right. It is the Goo and the Touch that have allowed them to commit such attrocities. If they had no such climatic weapons, the war could finally stop. Nuclear weapons are to the Technomancy and Red Goo is to an evil willing to use it. The Nuke is useless in the hands of one who does not have the ability to use it. The Red Goo cannot be used by someone who does not have evil thoughts."

"I am not a public speaker, I am a quite man. I don't believe in broadcasting public display, but I do believe that there are concerns far more dangerous than those people who are in this room right now."

Kalanyr

Explorer
Kalanyr stands

" As Hazen said I am not an ally of Anabstercorian. I spoke of the Oerth Alliance in the word 'we', we are a group of nations with a purpose of bringing peace and enlightenment to Oerth, as you have achieved on Toril. Sanctus speaks truth, think not of the last speaked alone but on the totality of what has been said. Perhaps you need to see true evil to realise, I ask you now to think on your own thoughts and feelings, do you normally feel so? Is the hate and resentment the Mists and the Goo feed on and feed native to you? "

Kalanyr sits.

Alyx

First Post
Preface: This is a post of selfish character development. Be warned.

Chrysalis

The mists hung thick in the skies. Ash fell everywhere, hurled from uncountable volcanic maws. The skies roared with lightning and thunder – yet no rain fell. The air was dead. It tasted of demise. The sun did not pierce this cloud, but hovered somewhere far above and out of sight, ashamed and unready to face the world it had scorched. The ground was somewhere below, and the magna it contained lit the ash, which drifted aimlessly above.

He who watches floats in the middle of this disarray, hanging limp in the air, listening to the lightning. He who watches waves a hand. The ash is pushed to one side, yet the mist remains undisturbed. He who watches creases his face in a frown. Then he is gone.

The shattered remnants of a mountain lie on the ground. Stones lay everywhere. This is where the watcher reappears. This time he walks on the ground, looking neither left nor right but taking step after step further into the mists. A white stone catches his attention, and he looks hopefully towards it. A grinning skull stares up at him. The walker stares at the skull, at those empty sockets. Neither blinks for a long, long time. Then the walker is gone.

Blackened husks that once could be called trees line the hills and the fields in endless rows, while the thorn bushes coiled about them seem to smile in the fog. Here and there are the remains of an elven flet or an orcish stronghold. This fire burnt all things alive, living and unliving alike. The walker is here as well, passing through the once-trees with measured steps, not once breaking his stride. Once he pauses and turns to the side, where lies a burnt out home of human origin. The walker steps into the house and sees nothing. All that remains is blackened oak and pinewood, and that has begun to fade and contribute to the airy ash. The walker touches one wall and his hand comes away smeared with char. Voiceless, the watcher disappears.

Now he is deep underwater, far beneath the surface above. This was a shallow bay once, but it is no longer. A massive ship juts from the ground. Its decks are shattered and the mast has sunken somewhere else. Harpoon heads are still embedded in the wood, and swords are in the hold. The mist is even here. No true mist could enter the water. This is not mist. This is something more. Emotionless, the watcher is gone. Here is where he is now: far to the north, at the base of a mountain where men once climbed over to reach streams of gold. Even now a few remnants remain – a pick head here, a hatchet head there. The watcher, the walker, looks about him. This place is untouched, almost. The ash is less here, filtered through the mountains. The mist is here, black and representing some distant danger, but it holds no menace. Trees grip the ground with unshakable roots. The watcher nods. There is a pool of Oerthblood near by, a natural one, and it has bestowed upon this place a gift that few other locations hold.

‘Who are ye?!’ comes a below from behind the watcher. Swiftly he turns, careful not to touch his sword. A grizzled old man is before him, holding a mighty crossbow before him like a talisman against evil.

‘I am a wanderer.’ says the wanderer, voice emotionless and sounding distant.

‘I thought as much.’ The old man mutters. Some inner flame, a force of will that the watcher has not seen, possesses his eyes. Then the flame seems to die, the crossbow goes limp in the old man’s hand. His voice is strong when he speaks again. ‘You may as well kill me now, lad, if that is what you came to do.’ Wordlessly, he lifts the crossbow to reveal that the trigger mechanism was shattered.

‘I will not hurt you.’ Says the watcher.

‘Won’t hurt me?’ The old man’s voice reflects genuine surprise. ‘Let me tell you, stranger, you’re the first person who has said that to me in three months!’ He hesitates, then turns around and beckons over his shoulder at the watcher. ‘Come with me. I have a home near here, and I confess I want some decent company. Too many wild things about these days, and wargs as well.’

The watcher follows. He does not know why – perhaps it is curiosity that moves his feet. Or perhaps something more.

The two come to a log cabin, made out of five-foot thick walls of sod and a roof of solid, honest wood. It is a cabin that has seen a lot of conflict and a lot of hate. The roof is marred with small slashes of black and the sod is pitted hard in some places. But the building has withstood everything. It lasts as a testament of unsurpassed fortitude.

The old man lights an old iron stove, rubbing his hands to its warmth and then moving to a quiet chair to sit on. The watcher sits across from him. For a lingering moment the two stare at each other, eye to eye.

The old man smiles. ‘You might be wondering why my crossbow is all smashed up. She’s a beauty. I carved her two years ago, took two months to do it just right. I forged the iron myself – got a full shop for iron mongering nearby. Today I tripped while chasing Kobolds from my food cache and the trigger just clean broke off. Gave me a nasty surprise, although the little yippers seemed happy. Chased me off into the bush. Two months effort broken in a moment.’ Then the old man grins, and looks expectantly at his visitor for an answer. A long moment goes by.

‘That’s too bad’ says the watcher.

Gleefully, the old man slaps his thigh. ‘Ha! That’s what you think, and those yippers too. But what I know that you don’t is this.’ Springing up from his chair without any signs of age, the old man rushes to the chest at one side of the room and rummages through it. Quickly he finds what he is looking for, and pulls out another crossbow, like the first. But this one is whole and unbroken. ‘I started on this one right when all the troubles began.’ For a second, the old man frowns, but that second passes fleetingly. ‘I knew I might need it. And I did. That’s what you get for planning, lad, never forget it.’ And he laughs, crossbow cradled in his hands.

The watcher cracks. A corner of his lip turns, and then he smiles. His eyes join in, as he watches this ancient soul bubbling over with joy. This is what life is all about, he remembers. The triumphs made day by day. The past was a pale thing in comparison. The watcher stands. ‘You know, I don’t think I will.’

‘Bah. You’re like everyone else. You will forget.’ the old man said, his laughing long and hard. ‘But it looks like I’ve broken your ice. Perhaps now you’ll join me for dinner, and tell me something about yourself. I don’t get many friendly folk around here, you know. Maybe I already said that, but it bears repeating.’

They ate.

That night passed quickly, and without nightmares, as the old man of the mountains and the more ancient but less wise red elf named Jand ate together, and remembered again what it is to laugh.

Last edited:

Serpenteye

First Post
The Lich Queen

Edena_of_Neith wrote:
_________
TO MR. DRACO, SERPENTEYE, AND SOLLIR
The Lich Queen of the Githyanki looks rather perturbed, then outright unhappy.

She speaks:

Isn't it obvious to either of you - you, Hellmaster Phibrizzo, and you, God Emperor of the Union of the Worlds - that your foes are united?

In unity is strength.
In disunity is your downfall.

Have you ever considered that if the Pantheon of Glowing Darkness and the Pantheon of the Union of the Worlds stood together, and Anabstercorian and his Army of Darkness stood with you, and you embraced Melkor and the Shade and his new ally Rajaat ... you might win the war?

And that if you do not unite, you will soon be gracing the dimensional prisons of the Alliance of Oerth and the Torilians?

Did this ever occur to you?
Did it?
DID IT?!

I think not.
You must point fingers at each other, and insult each other, and fight each other.
While your foes grow stronger and stronger, uniting ever more and more tightly.

Hazen is a formidable foe, probably as great a foe as Erika Lesage herself.
He is forging an unbreakable alliance, an unbreakable trust, between himself and countless people, while you sit here squabbling.

Do you expect me to condone such foolishness?
Do you expect me to risk the lives of my githyanki army to cater to such foolishness?
Do you expect me to waste my time dealing with such foolishness?

Now ... if I do not receive a more appropriate response from both of you, I will send my army to fight for a more appropriate, and hopefully more winnable, cause.
And you both shall be returned to Oerth, to face your inevitable doom at the hands of your foes.

What say you both?

The Githyanki Lich Queen, having spoken, sits back, her visage (horrific as it is) stern and absolute.
She speaks, then speaks again:

Well?

WELL?!
__________endquote

The God Emperor appears before her, radiant in golden light and power, and speaks ruefully, "Well said, Lich Queen of the Githyanki. Well said, and well thought, and if the situation was different I might agree with you. But this is no ordinary war, this is not a matter of 'Good' versus 'Evil'. Melkor, Iuz, and their servants seek to bring the Red Death into this Multiverse and throw the Prime into the Domains of Dread." He explains the nature of those two threaths. "These are foes far greater than the mortal children Hazen and Lesange. Consider, for a moment, how their success would affect you. You and your people would be slaves of the Red Death, your very nature makes that unavoidable. If they succeed your own power will cause your downfall, regardless of were in all the infinite planes you stay. If you allow them to win you will truely be wasting your armies and your life.
The situation is complicated, the battle tangled and confused, chaos rules the Multiverse and nothing can be predicted with certainty but, know this, the battle must be fought. We can not afford to be passive. You can not afford to stand by the sidelines looking in, you cannot afford send your armies away and there is noone else for you to ally with. The Union of Worlds will stand triumphant in the end. The middle road, between the twin madnesses of the Alliance of Oerth and the Glowing Darkness, the road of sanity between two different paths to oblivion, will lead us to victory. And you will be elevated to new heights beyond your wildest dreams." He says this with crystal clear certainty, his aura radiating the resonances of a definite promise.

"What say you to this?" DC 150 Sence Motive to detect a hint of amusement and (could it be??) condescension.

"Well?"

___

The God Emperor donates 5'000'000'000 gold pieces (in electronic form) in a huge number of separate transactions, laundring the money in thousands of bank accounts on Oerth, Sigil, Krynn, Mystara and Toril, to the separatist faction (with which he has an extremly friendly secret relation) of the Humanoids of the UC of Toril to support their cause and aid them in achieving independence.
___

How are the secret plans and research/manufacturing projects we e-mailed to you turn 6 proceeding? You've answered some of them, but not all. There's no reason to hurry, I just wanted to remind you so you won't forget about them entirely.

Last edited:

Remove ads