(IR) Preparations for the 3rd IR - Thread 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Ronald

Explorer
A quick summary

Welcome to the thread, Sollir Furryfoot!

The short version of what is going on is that we are going to play out what might happen if the Gnomes of the World of Greyhawk start the industrial revolution. A similar industrial revolution was played out in two previous threads in the Forgotten Realms. The United Commonwealth of Toril, consisting of most of the planet, is working with gnomes, dwarves and halflings to introduce technology to Oerth, the world where the GH campaign occurs. The UC of Toril are good guys. Unfortunately, the Church of Shade, an evil group from the Realms, is trying to make its presence known.

A being calling himself the Wanderer will accuse the UC of Toril of subverting Oerth by starting the Lortmils Technomancy. You must decide if he is telling the truth or not. He will paint a pretty bad picture of Toril.

There also signs that Vecna and Kas are returning. (We know they are.) The World of Greyhawk looks like it will be in for some interesting times soon in our little thread. Game play starts here with Turn 0 (non-combat, diplomacy) and with Turn 1 (you can try anything from diplomacy to combat to role playing your character's interaction with others) on February 20th.

To participate, you just state that you will. Read the rules on page one of the thread. Decide what sort of character and countries you would like to play, good, evil or neutral and the desires of your faction.

Players can surrender countries to you or Edena can whip some new ones up in a jiffy.

Also, if you have questions post here, e-mail Edena (under anything he posts) or you can ask me. I am a player, but I had the joy of walking in Edena's shows for a few days. It was not easy. You can e-mail me at williamwronald@aol.com

Please go over the rules. They will tell you how things work and give you a feel for the nations and NPCs involved.

There are also useful links on the first post of this thread.

Sollir Furryfoot, I hope you will join us.

Last edited:

Turrosh Mak

First Post
Sollir Furryfoot said:
Hi I'm interested in playing, can someone just sum up basically the rules since I'm a little confused on this? Also, whats *not* taken? :)

Well, I'll give it a shot.

BAsicly, each of us plays the ruller of a country or group of countries in the World of Greyhawk. For example, I'm Turrosh Mak, emperor of the Pomarj.

It's forty years after the end of the greyhawk wars, and after a long period of peace and reconstruction, the powers of Oreth are at the brink of war once again.

Into this comes the wanderer, presents the world with a Vision of events on Toril (this is going to happen in "turn Zero", which is kind of a prolouge to the actual game). Toril (The Forgotten Realms had an Industrial Revolution which changed that world dramaticly.

What we do is roleplay the actions of our characters and nations, posting our response to the wanderers vision and the actions of other countries. pretty simple really. To get an idea of what happened on toril and for an example of what I'm talking about, visit the GIRA website. The link is in the first post of this thread.

Don't worry too much about the rules (they are a work in progress), they are basicly guidelines to help Edena (the DM in this mess) keep things organized. Just post what you want and edena will give you the results. You should defenatly check them out though. The Rules are the second post on this thread.

Turn zero happens on the 19 of febuary, and turn one happens on the 20th.

Hope this helps some :)

Bonedagger

First Post
William Ronald

-Don't like it that much...... Sorry. That way 10th level magic is just another tool that everybody have.

Sollir Furryfoot

-Most is taken but if you say what you want to play some of us might unclaim something. But Edena is really the one you would have to ask. But please join. I will welcome you.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
And the blackmage said STAB!

Here is my character background (minus some stuff).

"I was born in the Gnarley Forest. My name at that time was Posterus Maligo-are (Future Contrive Evil). I was the son of a ranger and a commoner. My father was one of the elders of the Gnarley Forest when it came to passing that I, too, would become a ranger. I trained under the venerable Audax Miles (bold soldier). He was a man far beyond my father in skill, and was a powerful druid. He taught me how to fashion bows and weapons from the forest. He taught me how to find food in the wilds and make use of the lichens on the ground to create a primative narcotic that would slow the nerves of an opponent by simply mixing it with their food. When my mentor had taught me all he could, I began my search for purveyor of the mosfungus poison that had slowly killed my father. Mosfungus poison does no harm to a person in small doses, but taken over a lengthened period it kills someone in a way similar to a cold or other mild disease. The only significant trace of its existance is that after the corpse is burried, the mosfungus lichens grow there. Also called corpsegrass, it is symbolic of the end of a families life. The fact that my father died by it should have meant my families death, and to this day I still have the sickening curse that I myself have left no heir..."

"I earned my current title, the Holy Avenger Sanctus Punitor when I pursued and slayed my fathers assailant. Her name was Venenifer Venustas (Poisonous Lovely) the Lady. She was a High Elf woman raised by a Drow Priestess. She was an adolescent assassin when she killed my father. She was always spiteful of her race, believing that the Drow were fully superior and that she did not deserve life. She crept into my home, she crept into the people, and she turned us on ourselves. I was the first to truely discover her purpose through a trick of words and a fatal affair. When she revealed that she had poisoned me the same way she did my father I struck down her and her un-born child. That was my child. It was then that I left my people, and took my new name. In the eyes of them they honored me for making a sacrifice most men faint to have been forced to consider. They gave me the title Sanctus Punitor."

"I earned my sword when I returned to my people. I had been a paladin for the fifty years I was away. I rode in and out of conflict with the forsaken evils of the area. I met a man named Sapiens (wise) the Loremaster. He told me that I was meant to kill myself during those days when I took my mate and son's lives together. He told me that when I didn't I changed the fate that some evil deity had been plotting for me. I was meant to be the Creatura Novus (servant revived) of some Deity when it returned. I had created a paradox in some creatures plot that absconded centuries, my families breeding had been select, my upbringer had been chosen by forces outside my home, outside my people. I had the exact same physical body as a vampire servant of that deity, only in its undesecrated form. The only tool I was without was its vampiric sword and blood, things which I had narrowly avoided becoming afflicted with. I asked for a tool that could free me from my haunters and they granted me only narrow hints which led to a long and rather painful quest. The tool was a man named Tenser. He promised to destroy the vampiric unlife in that blightful blade. I quested off again to find that blade, which I bore down many opponents with as it sucked me into my nethersome destiny, but I managed to avoid all assailants blades and came back to tenser. When he attempted to re-define the blades purpose some paradox prevented the blade from being un-done. The blade had a future that was destined to it, and the blade had a past, irreconsilable. Time absconds a paradox and flung the sword away from us, leaving its sorrowless brother with me. The Holy blade Interfectio-onis Ferrum had a destiny that was the same as mine, and we both hated it. We left together to join our people and prevent our enemy from joining this world."

Ok can someone explain the Arm's Races? I read it but I'm still a bit confused, how exactly do we further ourselves in the Arm's Races for instance.

Edit-Any undead type powers not taken? (inhabitants from the Negative Energy Plane maybe?) How about some outsiders like the Slaadi, Yugoloths, Devils, and Demons. As you can tell I'm not too fond of playing good characters, though I will if I have to...

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
The map: I think its off a little... my name I think says CREAMSTREAK which is close... and condemnably funnier than CREAMSTEAK, but I can't help but feal insulted. Plus I think It looks like I'm overpowered and Evil... if this is true I have no idea why...

William Ronald

Explorer
Sollir:

Here is an example of an arms race. You should read the rules on Page 1 for a thorough understanding. A lot of things have been claimed, but Edena and I believe the other players will work with you.

Most of the arms races will work like the example I give but there are exceptions and additions.

Here we go:

RULE 8 - THE INDUSTRIAL ARMS RACE

At the start of Turn One, all the Powers of Oerth and Greyspace are considered to be in the Dark Ages, or one step up in the Medieval Ages (except the Lortmil Technomancy and the Shadow Empire.)

All Powers are considered to be in the Industrial Arms Race, for this is the IR!

All Powers in the Industrial Arms Race will gain 1 point per Turn.
These points start accumulating on Turn 2.
These points stack. Each Power in the Race continues to gain 1 point per Turn, indefinitely.

You can declare you are sharing your technology with other Powers.
All Powers you share technology with gain an additional 1 point in the Technological Arms Race at the start of the next Turn.

For every Power that shares technology with yours, your Power gains an additional 1 point in the Technological Arms Race.

To a maximum of 4. No power can advance more than 4 points.
So, you can gain 3 points from others helping you, and 1 from your own efforts, maximum.

I hope this helps. Also, maybe explain what you would like to play so Edena and other players can work with you. I hope you will join us.

Last edited:

Thanks I read it and I think i'll join, that is if theres room. It sounds very interesting but I can't find the undead arms race anywhere, is it on a different thread?

William Ronald

Explorer
Hi, Sollir:

The undead arms race is in the rules section. Read the first two posts, which are quite long. It should be some paragraphs beneath the technological arms race. Edena may decide to give you some territory or you can contest with other forces of like alignment for their lands. As it seams you wish to play an evil character, you could perhaps contest for an evil territory. The rules have what are claimed.

Perhaps you should state exactly what you want to play so Edena and the players on this thread can work with you. It seems you wish to play an evil power with an interest in the undead. Maybe state what you want to play, and how you imagine your faction to be like.

As for undead powers, Bonedagger is playing Vecna and Maudlin (who has created an EXCELLENT faction map) is playing Acerak.

Sollir Furryfoot, welcome aboard the IR thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads