(IR) Preparations for the 3rd IR - Thread 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be interesting.

Because it will mean alot again to live in the underdark, have spelljammers and winged people and that it means who you live next to. I wouldn't mind :D
And gives more logic to whom you attack ect..

Totally banning it sucks. It should be restricted to some people and I think teaching suck magics must take for ever or some turn like 3 turns for 10th level magic or something and you must devote you PC's PL to it or something cause he's sooo much devoted to studying it. And 11th magic must be rsetricted to Vecna, for now and for ever. And the restriction on the 10th level magic is a good idea I think and those who had it in the original concept should have it and just make it really hard and long to learn it. And remember 2 turns are over FAST so a turn or 4 to learn something SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO incredibly usefull as mass teleport is a VERY big deal.
Some of the original basics were better and that makes it alot simpler when we play.

Did my say in it and I'm off now, I'll read tomorrow what you guys think of it, hope it appeals to you all. And Kaboom good thinking :)

Last edited:

Bonedagger

First Post
Turrosh Mak said:
Bonedagger, I don't think of this as a game of risk, I don't want it to be a game of risk.

In fact I'm hoping for a lot of IC interaction. I beleve that limiting this power to Vecna will open up many more roleplay oppertunities for everyone, including Bonedagger (who from his posts is a very funny guy ;) ). It also might keep him in the game longer than two turns since if someone wants something that can only be done with an 11th level spell, they have to talk to vecna...

Thankyou:)

Bonedagger

First Post
I feel a little hampered arguing for something that would make Vecna more powerfull. But I must admidt I can see the sense in only allowing Vecna to have stronger magic. It would not be fair however if he could just sit back and use it for trade. So for fairness I would rule:

1) Only the character Vecna could cast it. He would have to be present.

2) Cannot be tought (I agree with Turrosh Mak)

3) If catastrofy is used only that spell can be cast on that turn (no teleporting in before or away afterwards).

Since this is IR this would force Vecna out to trade in order to be able to keep up with the technological revolution. This could cause for some strange alliances.

Just a thought. Please feel free to criticize:)

Last edited:

Turrosh Mak

First Post
My thoughts on 10th level spells

Having 10th level magics availible to everyone is not unreasinble. The Arcane age has returned to oreth with the Arrival of vecna after all. The magic of this world has been strengthed and enhanced by his arrival, you might say.

Plus with tenth level spells vecna doesn't have an overwhelming advantage :)

As to why everyone would have 10th level spells:
Gnomeworks could learn them from the UC, as was suggested for the 11th lvl magics.

Serpenteye would no doubt be reasearching them, as would Kalanyr, the Mage of the valley, and many others when Vecna's arrival makes them possible.

The wind dukes, Iuz, The Circle of Eight, and Kas would allready know them.

Anyone else would have found a way, either through Diplomacy or Subterfuge to learn them from one of those mentioned above.

10th level magics are far less disruptive to the World of Greyhawk than 11th level spells, as most of the effects they produce take time to achive. Like the 11th level spells more detail should be provided as to what they can and cannot do.
Say perhaps limiting teleportation to once per turn per "group" teleported. (in other words, no one group, be it an army, strike force, or individual, can be teleported more than once a turn)

Thus you could mass teleport your army half way arround the world, but you would have to wait for the next round to teleport them back. That allone should keep the number of teleporations to a minimum, as they become more valuble and are easily wasted.

~Turrok, Dinosaur hunter~

Clairification: This would only be a limit on 10th level mass teleports. Creatures who have Inate teleportation shouldn't be subject to that limit. After all 10th level Mass teleport move thousands or hundreds of thousands of creatures (or whatever) with out error instantly. Such a casting should be draining.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Alyx, I accept your offer of Amedio Rainforest. Thanx for the Help Edena and William. My PC's PL might get up to around 3 with all the gear I want to give him, so give me a 2 point buffer till I am for sure about his gear. Edena I am sending you the revised version of him, plus his weapon.

William Ronald

Explorer
Glad to help

Hi, creamsteak:

I am glad to lend you a hand. Also, check out the map on page 1 for your territiories.

Edena:

I bumped your call for players, so hopefully more people will see it. Also, did you get the e-mail I sent you with an idea on 11th level magic?

Serpenteye

First Post
Edena_of_Neith said:
The very few that are left are:
KNIGHTLY ORDERS

Knights of Aerdi (Dedicated to restoring the Great Kingdom, all alignments) PL 2

Who are these guys anyway? I assume they're based somewhere in Dark Union lands, one of the few remnants of feudalism remaining under the absolutist rule of the Emperor. Are they hostile to law and order, rebels against legitimate authority? Do they seek to reestablish Ivid's rule, or the ancient continent-spanning Great Kingdom of Aerdi? Is it possible that they share my goals of a strong, lawful and rich empire and will be cooperative with their Emperor if approached in turn 1?

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
Knights of the Great Kingdom

Hello, SerpentEye:

I don't have Sword and Fist with me right now, but the Knights of the Great Kingdom are in the book. They might be able to accept your rule. The order has both followers of Hextor and Heironeous and othe gods associated with conflict. They are greatly concerned about the state of their homeland.

They are an elite order, similar to the cavalier prestige class.

Can someone with the book lend SerpentEye a hand. (But not the hand of Vecna. Bonedagger has that already.:D)

William Ronald

Explorer
An idea on 11th level magic

I have an idea on a possible way to still have 11th level magic in the thread, but not for some time.

To gain 11th level magic, a player must earn 50 points in the magic arms race. For purposes of this thread, a faction can only earn 10 points per turn in the magic arms race (5 if you want to be conservative). Another player can assist someone in learning 11th level magic, but they can only contribute 1 point to the player at the cost of 2 of their own. Note that the maximum possible progress for the magical arms race is 10 points. Thus
if Maudlin spends 5 points on magical research, and is aided by SerpentEye, Mr. Draco, Kalanyr, Festy Dog, and the Forsaken One, he gains 10 points in the magic arms race.

Upon attaining 11th level magics, a player is free to share them with those he chooses to do so.

Magic in Oerth works differently than on Toril; there is no Weave or Shadow Weave. The UC of Toril can give the Lortmils a head start on 11th level magic. Here is who could have a head start on 11th level magic, expressed as points to be awarded at the start of Turn 1.

Acerak: 5 points
Vecna: 5 Points
Kas: 5 points
The Wind Dukes of Aaqa: 5 points
The Circle of Eight: 5 points
The Lortmils Technomancy (assumes aid from Toril): 5 points.

A more restrictive ruling would be to just give Toril and Vecna the bonus points.

All points gathered towards the Magic Arms Race are awarded at the end of a turn. Thus if a power gains the ability to use 11th level magic in a turn, he will have to wait to the start of the next turn to use it.

A similar process can be used for 12th level magic.

So, what do you think of this as a compromise proposal between 11th level magic and no 11th level magic.

As for 10th level magic, some of the old 2nd Edition 10th level spells were attached to Mordenkainen and Tenser. (Edena: Last I checked, Tenser was a mage with no fighter levels, and LG in alignment.)

The advantage of this solution is that 11th level magic is something that people would work towards. After all, Vecna has to travel through time with his people after surviving an attack by Kas and restore the Suel Imperium in Turn 0. I think even he would be a little run down after all that.

Tell me what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads