(IR) The 3rd IR, Turn 4 (thread 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalanyr

Explorer
Well if building such an artifact is possible it will be done. If you can build it we will build lots of them. If you can't we will make as many as we can.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Forrester wrote:

First of all, in another post you said that I lost 300PL of forces. That is, I did, or I did in combination with other forces in the Flaeness.
I choose the latter. My people are heroic, and it was my forces and my magic that did the most to eliminate the 300PL force of the City of the Gods. Half of the robots died pretty quickly to the uber-sandstorm + antimatter bombs, but the other half had to be brought down by force.

((Noted. I will add 150+ PL to the over 300 PL casualties already sustained by the Flanaess.))

But our soldiers aren't jumping in front of other soldiers of other nations to take the hits -- with the sole exception of the war against the demons. We were there by their side, helping in each battle, and probably doing most of the killing, but they took as many losses as we did. (They're easier to kill, for one thing.)

((Understood. War is painful. War is hell. There is real pain and suffering, and people die. And the Torilians fought as bravely and stoutly as any in the Flanaess. With the exception of the Faerie, they were the most effective force against the Robots.))

I'm not selfish, but I'm not stupid, and there is no reason that the UC should bear ALL of the losses against the robots.

((No indeed. War is painful, and the pain is a party everyone shares in, unfortunately.))

And should I have 300PL taken away from me, I want to know how much I lost in each battle, because I just don't see it. The math just doesn't add up. I was always hitting as hard as I was getting hit, or harder, and in each case I outnumbered my foe, sometimes grossly. Meaning that they had far less opportunity to get their smacks in.

((You must appreciate the enormity of what I am doing. I am running a game for 25 people, and each one of them has a Power, and plans, and a lot of questions.
This IR has been very straining on me, has taxed me to the end of even my resources.
I continue the IR through sheer stubborness, an unwillingness to give in and quit, though sometimes I find the work necessary for it to be intimidating and overwhelming.
Yet I have other things to attend to also. Other stresses. This IR has taken everything I've got.
Now, you wish a detailed, battle by battle explanation of your losses.
May I point out that the other Powers suffered horrendous losses as well, and that they were in a far worse position to lose people than the UC, which has backup forces?
They are so ruined it will be impossible for a number of them to take any further actions this Turn, and three of the Powers in the game have been effectively knocked out of play.))

Regardless, even if I have only 300PL left, and 150PL is attacking Acererak, that leaves 150PL to help fight the fires and feed the people. And there's probably much more.

((Every bit of that PL is needed to help. The aftermath of the bombardment was staggering.
Do not underestimate the disaster.
The entire pre-war medical system of the real world, even if undamaged, could not handle the effects of one thermonuclear explosion over a large city.
Now, the clerics of the medieval Oerth have 80 million wounded on their hands. It is a horrific understatement when I say they are overwhelmed.))

"Heedless of the situation", Edena? I'm insulted, IC and OOC. How many other nations are lending 150PL to rebuilding Toril? Tell me. And yes, I will use my climate-altering abilities (not used this turn) to control the weather such that there is a lot of rain pouring down over Oerth these days. Starting in Lyrn and the other lands of Uvenelei, and moving east.

((My regrets. I do not mean to offend. Only to Moderate. A sometimes bitter and difficult job. Especially when one must moderate superscience and 10th level magic, concepts beyond the ability of even TSR to handle during the heydays of that company.
I wish everyone to have fun.
But I also wish to make the road hard for everyone, to force everyone to struggle and work.
And also to give everyone a chance.
I may not cheat to do this, or make unreasonable rulings.
All I can do is moderate within my ability, and hope for the best.
To offend people is not my goal!))

Second of all, don't tell me that a guerilla war against my forces is "Easily Accomplished", because it's not.

((It is not easily accomplished, but Acererak and the Scarlet Brotherhood can do it. Hempmonaland is like Vietnam. Acererak has a vast network of underground tunnels that connect Hempmonaland to the Flanaess.

It would be, perhaps, but I have 10th level magic. And 10th level scrying. And I know where they are hiding, I know where the ambushes are, and through mind-reading I know what many of their plans are.

((That is quite true. And you will win. Acererak has no hope of final victory. However, it will just take a while.))

Are you REALLY saying that they can hide from such an overwhelming force, who is getting help from the Yuan-Ti, for an entire MONTH??!!

((I am. The primary reason for this is the Hempmonaland people.
I did not include them in the roster, which was a mistake.
They have a large PL, and will react fiercely to an invasion, and they are on the side of Maudlin.))

Another note -- I realize there are many, many, many mages working on something spooky for Acererak. Tracking them down, and capturing them/eliminating them if necessary is one of my primary goals. They can't hide from me for long. I can travel to any pocket dimension that they can duck into.
Finally, I use my 10th level magic abilities to determine what is happening regarding the temperature drop. If it is an effect caused by the equivalent of 9th level magic, I counterspell it using my 10th level magical abilities, as per the rules. And I want to know what it is.

((There are mages working for Acererak, on something called Acererak's Apotheosis. If he succeeds in getting it, he would gain permanent control of all Undead in the IR, good and evil.
You are finding them and killing them.
The temperature drop is due to Nuclear Winter, caused by the bombardment.
It is easily countered with 10th level magic, and Kalanyr has already begun countering it.))

((Now, this Moderator is not answering any more questions for a while. This Moderator is tired.))

Edena_of_Neith

Forrester

First Post
Kalanyr said:
Add an image of Zuggtmoy to the statue then. Ouch that battle put the hurting on my PL.

Sorry Forrester- The Yuan-ti withdrew I am putting my entire (non-advancement) PL into aiding the people of the Flaaness at the moment.

That's fine, Kalanyr. Help rebuild. Oerth needs it.

And, of course, I'll give you a hand :).

BUT -- if Acererak manages his Apowhatsit, he's going to gain control of all undead.

And that's really really bad, given the fact that Serpenteye is raising people from the dead right and left.

100PL here or there isn't going to do much to rebuild Oerth. If you and the Yuan-Ti will help me track down Acererak, NOW, I think it is likely that we'll be able to find him and the mages before the month ends.

Let's not give Acererak another month to do his dirty work.

Please?

<other kvetching deleted>

What we need, people, is to get 11th level magic, and soon. That's the reason I want ALL the bad guys gone this turn -- at least, the bad guys that might cause us problems next turn.

Because I believe that if we put our minds to it, we can get 11th level magic next turn, if we all cooperate. And that will heal Oerth far more than a bunch of humans with buckets of water and Band-aids.

Forrester

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Total War Losses this Turn so far, Forrester: 150 PL
Total War Losses this Turn so far, Alzem: Over 100 PL
Total War Losses this Turn so far, Alliance of Oerth: Over 450 PL
Total War Losses this Turn so far, Other Powers: Over 150 PL

All Powers except for Maudlin, Melkor, and Rhialto may continue to take military action, if that is their wish.
All Powers except Melkor and Rhialto may attempt diplomacy.

Any military action taken is going to hurt the Power that is taking it, in regards to their civilian population, quite badly.

The United Commonwealth of Toril and Hope Isle are exceptions to this, due to the fact they have no civilian populations on Oerth.
Valky's Planar Unseelie are also an exception.

Last edited:

Forrester

First Post
Edena -- are the Shade completely wiped out at this point?

That was my understanding . . . that some leaders managed to escape, but that's it. Everything else, all of their forces, are gone, gone, gone.

Is that accurate?

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
The Shade leaders, and about 5 PL of their forces, escaped.
That is all that remains of them.

The Shade Poisoning, remains, although 10th level magic is keeping it from spreading.

Kalanyr

Explorer
Sorry Forrester given, Edena's post above I can't afford military action, nor can any off the rest of our Allies.

Last edited:

Forrester

First Post
Like I said, let's try to get rid of the bad guys this turn so we can work next turn on 11th level magic in peace.

*goes through list of bad guys*

Iuz . . . well, he just turned lawful. And he has been helping us a lot. And he didn't go after my Kender -- and lord, I know how tempting that can be. Okay, he gets to live.

The Dark Union . . . well, did chase Acererak out of his home. That was good. As long as land conquered from my allies (by either Acererak OR the Shade OR the Dark Union) is returned to their rightful owners this turn . . . they'll be no need for an offense there. They did fight bravely against -- well, against someone, I'm sure.

Forsaken One. Are you still evil? Did Kalanyr change all of your alignments, or something?
Festy Dog. Are you still evil? Did Kalanyr change all of your alignments, or something?

Trying to figure out an IC reason for you to be allied when Kalanyr's a good guy now, and you guys aren't.

Valkys -- what's an Unseelie, anyway?

Anabstercorian -- too confusing to even talk about.

Acererak -- trying to get rid of.

Hmm. I think that's about it.

Anyone else out there feeling evil today, so I can put you on my you-know-what list?

Forrester

Forrester

First Post
Kalanyr said:
Sorry Forrester given, Edena's post above I can't afford military action, nor can any off the rest of our Allies.

How many will die if Acererak manages to gain control of all Undead next turn?

Sometimes you need to make sacrifices, Kalanyr. You need to look at the long term. You need to think ahead. A small sacrifice now means less dead later. And less dead overall.

Forrester

Mr. Draco

First Post
OK, well the DU is taking several actions,

*The 100PL force in Hemponaland is moving to the abondoned Yuan-ti Empire to begin grain production using their un-harmed (relatively) fields.

*The DU army in the former territories of Maudlin is sent to assist the populace of the DU. Anything and everything they can do, the people across the DU are doing.

The end result of this is that we should have nearly our entire PL devoted to rebuilding/healing/grain production/generally being helpful after the "artificial winter" and when the 100PL reaches the Yuan-ti Empire, we will have our ENTIRE PL devoted to rebuilding/healing/grain production/etc...

Also, I'm still quite curious about the City of the Gods. The representative from the Legions of Kas there, claiming that the suel are the descendants of the builders of the city of the gods, will begin examining the city. He assumes that the city was still active because the robots thought the inhabitants might return someday, and thus it would make sense for the robots to prepare for that. Preparing for that might include storing food. So, basically he is looking for any food storage areas, and if they exist, they should be quite extensive, afterall, it IS a big city, which would imply a BIG population.
-----
Well, I'll be leaving for a DnD session soon, be back in about 12 hours.

Serpenteye, keep investigating the city of the gods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads