• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron DM 2010 Discussion Thread

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Phew, that's possibly the most brutal set of ingredients I'd ever seen in all the time I've been reading (and participating in) Iron DM competitions! Really, really, really nasty, whoever dreamed that lot up.

Gosh, thanks! Am I blushing? ;)

The nice thing about Iron DM is that the contestants get the same set of ingredients, and you're not measured against each other -- so an easy or hard set is not necessarily unfair to a particular set of contestants.

IMO, an easy set of ingredients will allow mediocrity to skate alongside excellence, while challenging ingredients shed bright light on minor differences between very talented contestants. So, in this case, I'm glad I whipped up a tough set. Both were cool, developed, creative entries -- no mediocrity there.

-rg

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I'll allow 24 hours for this first round, as the contestants get used to the format, then the ingredients appear tonight at 9 PM EDT no matter what.

Bummer. I had a bunch of time yesterday and tonight to work on it, but tomorrow I'm busy the majority of the day, including getting up early... Extra challenge: complete Iron DM Challenge in 2-3 hours!

ender_wiggin

First Post
Thanks for the praise, and for the criticism as well. To MortalPlague: I think you made a stellar adventure and I'll definitely be borrowing some material from it in my future games.

I think it might be relevant to ask for a "check-in" at this time from all players; just so we know who's around and generally ready to go and who's potential absence to worry about. It's what I like to do in my Play-by-Post games when things get a little slow.

What do you think, CNN?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Thanks for the praise, and for the criticism as well. To MortalPlague: I think you made a stellar adventure and I'll definitely be borrowing some material from it in my future games.

I think it might be relevant to ask for a "check-in" at this time from all players; just so we know who's around and generally ready to go and who's potential absence to worry about. It's what I like to do in my Play-by-Post games when things get a little slow.

What do you think, CNN?
The check-in-by-post thing hasn't been working out for us so far. So for the time being at least, I think I will just keep sending private messages instead. If someone sends me a note or e-mail saying they can't make it, etc., I will poke in here and spread the word. But that doesn't look like it will do much good at the moment.

About the schedule...

You will notice that the judges of both weekend matches started issuing "hard" dates and times for their matches. It was bound to happen, sooner or later: match delays can be exploited to create an unfair advantage, and they are frustrating to the judges who are waiting to post the ingredients.

It doesn't really matter one way or the other to me...I just update the roster as needed. The schedule can be treated like a rough guideline, or it can be The Law of the Land. I leave it up to the judges to decide.

Tremorsense

First Post
Sorry about all this. Flooding caused me to forget about internet-y things for a couple days. But basements are cleaned and I'm ready now. My apologies again.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Looking ahead . . I'm getting ready for match four, on Monday. Pour vs. MatthewJHanson

Given the new atmosphere, I think I'm going to plan to drop the ingredients at Noon EST on monday. Please chime between now and then and let me know that you'll be able to work with that, or if you need something else.

-rg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads