• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IRON DM revival!

seasong

First Post
Re: This isn't your father's Iron DM

Vaxalon said:
After reading that epic post, I'd like to point out that Iron DM was always supposed to be an OUTLINE, for a SHORT adventure that would be done in a session or two. The entries have changed a good deal since it was instituted, and I'm not sure it's a good thing.
Given the original requirements given by incognito, I'm sure he'd agree with you, but I think that the competitors (and I include myself in that) have gotten carried away with our own literary muses.

Plus, it's always easier to add text than to cut it down in a manner that reads well.

Thank you for the reminder.

Wicht

Hero

Vaxalon said:
I feel that the current trend towards verbiage is NOT a good thing, and that's not because it threatens my ability to hold onto the office, I could really care less whether I retain it or not, but because it values other things besides skill, such as the lack of social obligations or outside employment.

I was noticing myself that my own entries are getting longer each time. I type my entrys on word and thus have noticed they are about double what they were in the last contest.

I will point out three things however:

1) I still typed and proofread the whole thing within about 80 minutes this morning.

2) Nemmerle himself was the one responsible originally for allowing longer posts. My first few entries were very concise and I never felt I benefitted contest-wise from being shorter than the other guy in length.

3) If they are too long they will likely lose the judges interest.

Rune

Once A Fool

Vaxalon said:
After reading that epic post, I'd like to point out that Iron DM was always supposed to be an OUTLINE, for a SHORT adventure that would be done in a session or two.

I seem to remember getting hammered by the audience during the last tournament for practicing that philosophy. I have more to say on this subject, but I'll wait until after the judgement to do so, as it involves my submission, above.

incognito

First Post
Wicht vs Rune

Wow, I expected this would happen, just not so soon. Two very compelling entries. In this case, the list of ingredients was fairly straight forward, so no defining of literary terms needed – let’s go straight to the judging!

First up, Witcht. This entry was quite a bit tighter (although related to, as we will see later) than the Round 1 submission. Again Witch is paired with an experienced IRON DM, which has got to mess with your head. Per my style I shall comment on the strong points of this submission.

The background: Those crazy gods, always testing us mortals! What’s likeable about this bit of set up is the three contingents seeing the same vision in three different ways, although it is interesting that all three parties think to sacrifice another living being, depending on what point you drag the PCs in. Also, we have time based variability in the plot hooks. Depending on your party make up, Wicht uses timing of events, rather than different story arcs to get the party interested. Well done. GREAT use of several ingredients: The dual use of the Water Table, Use of the Kobold Knights (on a holy quest for their cleric, don’tcha know), and the open interpretation of nobles sacrifice – again each type off sacrifice interpreted differently in the eyes of the Gods. Although it is not as creatively well woven, the use of the Medallion to make sure the Elf gets the straight story is a well prepared way for the DM to exercise some control over that messy final scene.

Some lose ends: If you are going to have a drought, autumn is too late to do anything about it – you’re already screwed for the winter. We also have a slight hiccup in the King’s choice for a sacrificial weapon. As a DM, I have a problem with doling out such a powerful weapon that early in the PCs careers. (a +5, Holy Sword is worth 98,000 GP! – whoa! I’m good, baby, but not that good!!!). Also, since it’s possible as one of the 3 main story hooks, that a third party of clerics will sent by the King, I think it’s than a flaw that this is not detailed, when so much trouble has been made to set up the final scene. Some of the obstacles included in the Kobold chase were a stretch, but since we are told in advance to omit some of them, if desired, I think DMs will choose ones that fit their particular campaign.

I have a few issues with the final scene. Like in Round 1, we can see Wicht likes 3 groups competing. A) It’s a DM logistics nightmare. There are 10 in the Kobold band, 5 in the elf bad, and 4 in the party band. Not to mention, there are conflicting interests within the group of NPCs! A different tactic is to have the each player control one contingent at this point (1 for the party, 1 for the Kobolds, 1 for the Kings clerics, 1 for the elves, etc). This frees up some DM resources, at least. Then finally, we have the logic hole in the conclusion. If truly the gods are testing the three powers, then why is their a problem with the elf sacrificing himself? It is certainly noble, even if it’s not what the Gods are looking for, and the story readers are given no alternate item for the elves to sacrifice.

Onto Rune’s submission…whew!
Rune must’ve been wearing the self same amulet he describes in his scenario. He really opened it up creatively and word-count wise. While I am no master of simple elegance referred to by the peanut gallery in this thread, the word count with spaces eclipsed 19K! I warned IRON DM potentials not to get so wordy, or they would risk losing the judge (who works, after all). Were this not such a grand submission filled with exciting concepts and original ideas, it would lost simply by virtue of this..

But it’s SO good! We all know the 3E magic Item: Medallion of thoughts; it simply allows the user to detect thoughts. A fun item and certainly used by Wicht in its most obvious aspect. Not for Rune though, he has created an artifact that could be used through the course of a campaign, if handled correctly: Brilliantly so, because he has the adventure start off at a low level, allowing him to continue the story. The “Things to do in a small town” section was well written, covering many of the ideas which DMs can sometimes forget to cover (DM: “Find the legends? Who thinks to do that!?”)

OK, and now we get to some of this scenario’s short comings (besides length, and let’s get off that). With a post using so many elements, there are bound to be some holes. Here are 5 that I found. What did the Druid actually want from the Town in return for the Ritual? Why do Prince Wurger and Lady Hals have levels of Rogue? How is it possible that this Medallion has never been discovered by adults? (No method to this power is ever revealed. And in the ‘concluding thoughts section’, we even see that the medallion does function for adults) Why are the Kobolds being noble by killing the boy? (This is even questioned by Rune, himself) Why does Wurger tell the boy such a horrible story when he’s unlikely to understand the underlying meaning, as it is fairly adult, and it’s cruel in nature? ( to quote Rune: “Halel cannot make the connection between the fantasy people and the item.”. I understand the nature of the medallion creating figments who desire nothing more than to take the medallion, but they can easily take it from him without bullying or killing him, so why do it?) Finally, what happens if the figments get the Medallion? – seems like this is the likely outcome, given the medallions long past.

Even If I have missed details in this story that answer one or more of these questions, I think they serve to illustrate a point. And that point is, the scope of this story is simply too large, too ambitious. It is not the length, per se, although that certainly contributes to it. The use of unique legends, the sub-plot: Druid’s water table (used to include the water table ingredient, of course),and the resolution of conflict between the villagers, Halel, the figments and the ongoing curse of the medallion, all combine to make a story that is an amazing read, but ultimately distracts the DM from running this scenario. If this had been an IRON DM campaign contest. Well, Rune would’ve taken it.

So, it is my ‘tough love’ decision to award this round to Wicht who seems to have the uncanny ability to cater to the DM masses.

Congratulations are in order for BOTH contestants, however.

incognito

First Post
Round 3!!

Seasong and Wicht:

I propose the following: I will email a former IRON DM contestant with the ingredients, who is able to post them tomorrow night.

You will then have 24 hours (ending Saturday) to complete your entry.

The poster of the ingredients will mark the time when he posts.

I need a volunteer who will be around Friday, if this is acceptable, or course...
:p

seasong

First Post
Rune, there's always the over riding factor regarding length: what will win?

For incognito, regardless of Vaxalon's personal vision of the Iron DM competition, well-fleshed NPCs, solid story roots, and interesting locales obviously play their part (since they're the only nice things incognito had to say about my last one ;)). So some amount of length is practically required to get those things in.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for the art of brevity. The joke scenario I posted was shorter than any other scenario thus far... but I'd put it up against any of my other submissions for completeness of interesting characters, story and locale. I don't know if it would have won, of course :eek:.

Wicht

Hero
Re: Wicht vs Rune

incognito said:
(a +5, Holy Sword is worth 98,000 GP! – whoa! I’m good, baby, but not that good!!!).

Just for the record, neither am I. The plan is, after all, that the PCs will offer it up as a sacrifice. If they didn't, in my campaign at least, the king would want it back. It is his after all.

Good job Rune and I look forward to the next matchup.

by greybar
Wicht,

Beautiful. I loved the title "Dog Days and Kobold Knights" and it got better from there. I would run this for the players in my game (who are at 8th) if I could fit it.

John

Thanks. Its nice to hear when you do this someone say, "I want to run that." :)

by incognito
I propose the following: I will email a former IRON DM contestant with the ingredients, who is able to post them tomorrow night.

You will then have 24 hours (ending Saturday) to complete your entry.

That works for me.

And now I gotta finish up work for my game tonight with my boys. :eek:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads