• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IRON DM] Spring 2004 Contest Thread FINAL JUDGMENT POSTED, CHAMPION ANNOUNCED!

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
nemmerle said:
The first thing that came to mind from the judgment was that Wulf did not mention what I thought was my strongest connection of ingredients; that is, using the ape version of Rakshasa with the Dakons to explain why the bridges to the jungle island had to be covered bridges (i.e because of their fear of open water).

Oops! My bad. I read your entry on the crapper at work and forgot to take a pen to make notes. I did appreciate that detail.

I take exception about all verbiage being "words thrown over an overall weak use of ingredients"

Into each life, some nemmerlesque criticism must fall.

I don't think ingredients can be effectively strung together without a sense of an immersive context to put them in.

I recommend going back and reading some of the entries in this very contest. I have noted several instances where the ingredients were very seamlessly and almost effortlessly strung together (though in at least one case, even so, the entry did not win).

Wulf

mythago

Hero
Congrats, nemmerle!

I admit I am somewhat stunted in DMing by having players who sit around and talk. Endlessly. I assure you, one of my groups could fill up an entire play session discussing their options for getting into the tower.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
SEMIFINAL MATCH ONE: Nemmerle vs CarpeDavid

Ingredients:

Keep on the Borderlands
Queen of the Spiders
Assassin's Knot
Dwellers in a Forbidden City
Final Enemy
Best of Intentions

The ingredients for this match are a little... unusual. When the judge gives you left-overs, don't just reheat them. Surprise me.

You have 24 hours from the post time of these ingredients to post your entry.

As the boards are wonky, make sure you give yourself extra time for lag.

Do not read your competitor's entry before posting; do not edit your entry after posting.

Make sure you post a list of your ingredients at the beginning of your entry. You may wish to add a short, one line summary of how you use the ingredient in your entry.

Brevity, grammar, and clear formatting are appreciated.

mythago

Hero
Wulf Ratbane said:
for which I’ll fault him in a moment on the excessive mucus
Her! Her!

I am *personallly* suffering from a Curse of Excessive Mucus, though as far as I know it's seasonal rather than rakshasa-related.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
nemmerle said:
Uh, I thought you wer posting them around 7:30 not 11 o' clock. . . :confused:

Well, I guess I'll have a built-in excuse. . .

It didn't occur to me until after I hit post that I'd cost the competitors an evening of writing.

If you guys need me to drop back and punt, we can reschedule for a new time with new ingredients. Let me know.

Though I hate to see those ingredients go... :]

Wulf

carpedavid

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
It didn't occur to me until after I hit post that I'd cost the competitors an evening of writing.

If you guys need me to drop back and punt, we can reschedule for a new time with new ingredients. Let me know.

Though I hate to see those ingredients go... :]

Wulf
I'm fine with the current deadline - though I'll defer to Nemm. If he wants to reschedule for sometime today, I won't object.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I've already got an idea. Why waste it? Though as usual, one ingredient is determined to stick out like a sore thumb. . . :\

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Wulf Ratbane said:
Oops! My bad. I read your entry on the crapper at work and forgot to take a pen to make notes.

We call this "oversharing."

mythago said:
I admit I am somewhat stunted in DMing by having players who sit around and talk. Endlessly. I assure you, one of my groups could fill up an entire play session discussing their options for getting into the tower.

That's because they're afraid that any move means instant failure. That can make a person twitchy after a while. :)

Great ingredients in this latest round, Wulf.

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
nemmerle said:
I've already got an idea. Why waste it?

The main thing, though, is not to waste that built-in excuse. ;)

Piratecat said:
Great ingredients in this latest round, Wulf.

Thanks!

I thought about saving them until the championship round, but I have an even more devious plan for that...

Wulf

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads