• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Heroes: A Saga of Might

mfloyd3

Explorer
Seeing that the girl appears unharmed, Xoria nods to the innkeeper's daughter. "I am glad you are safe," she says. She returns to the table, leaving the shaken family to comfort each other.

Shayuri

First Post
"It was frustrated on the hunt," Vela conjectures, looking around; following the noises with her gaze. "Beasts do not appreciate their prey being taken from them. It makes them fight twice as hard to get it back."

She looks over at Xoria. "This cannot continue. We must confront whatever has happened at that tower. Tomorrow. First light."

mfloyd3

Explorer
Xoria looks at her friends. On some level, she wants to do this, even though she knows it is difficult and dangerous. Even though she knows it will likely gain her little. She nods her assent, then looks over her shoulder to confirm no one is listening to them.

Finding all present distracted by the safe return of the daughter, she speaks quietly to her companions. "That creature was a berbalang," she says carefully. "And it was not really there at all. It is a...construct, an apparition. Its true form is elsewhere. So far as I could trace it, it appeared to come from the tower."

Dr Simon

Explorer
The noise of the berbalangs trying to get into the inn gradually subsides. As things calm down, the innkeeper's wife brings over bowls of stew.

"Thank you," she says. "The things are getting bolder. The town ought to issue a reward to get rid of them."

mfloyd3

Explorer
Xoria's instincts as an aristocrat come to the fore. Gold can be had in many ways, but there are few opportunities to buy the loyalty of a crowd. More than coin, the Countess Aurelian needed allies. The local politics could be complex, and her gambit could backfire, but she decides to take the risk.

"There is no need," Xoria calmly tells the innkeeper. "I am knowledgeable in the arcane arts, and I know that these creatures have a connection to the wizard's keep. Tomorrow morning, my companions and I," she gestures, "Will go there to see what has transpired. Unless," she adds, "Your town council wishes to send its own delegation."

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Oh, they already sent someone," says the innkeeper's wife. "Fat lot of good that did, he never returned. If you think you can do better ma'am, I'll not try to stop you."

The rest of the night passes without any further sight or sound of the berbalangs. Come morning, the innkeeper throws open the shutters, which are now covered in scratches from the creatures. Coming up from the harbour is a sorry-looking chain of people; the former prisoners of the Black Conch, being led by Clem.

"Rough night," he says. "You get things trying to get in up here? We did down on the ship, little winged creatures with claws and fangs. That Punketah sent one packing with his magic, but not before they carried off one of the crew. Cap'n Sigurd says for you to look after this lot. Says you wanted to rescue them, now their your responsibility." He gives an apologetic shrug. "It wasn't my idea."

mfloyd3

Explorer
Xoria looks at the line, her expression blank, noting the Ur Men among the line. What to do with so many blinded persons? A long-term solution would have to wait.

"Thank you, Clem," she offers. "We will take care of them. We should pay the innkeeper to watch them while we attend to our...other business," she adds to her comrades. She braces herself for Olmar's response to the idea of spending gold on the care of the Ur Men.

Walking Dad

First Post
Olmar
Defense 14 (FF14), HP 48/48, F +6,R+5,W+5; Ini +2 ; Fury Pool 0/13; DR 1d4

"We took them, but he is the captain and allowed them on board. What happens on his ship is his responsibility. While we may pay for the humans to get them save shelter until your ship leaves, the Ur-Men can rot in the streets."
Olmar says grimly.

[sblock=OOC]

sorry. I subscribed to this thread, read the last post, had to do something RL suddenly and then forgot about my turn :blush:

----

Reserve Points: 48 / 48

Pick (gripped with both hand and Power attack 1):
1d20+5 - 1d6+6 - 20/x4

In berserker rage:
1d20+6 - 1d6+8 - 20/x4
[/sblock]

Remove ads