• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Heroes - I have it in my hands!

Nifelhein

First Post
I am very anxious to get this one, the amount of teasers has even helped get me more into it, but I want to ask one last thing, not that my curiosity does not want more, you know, but how does unarmed strike gets into the book flow, I mean, is it even a feat and is there any worry about the unarmed strike of a non-monk style character?

And Ash, drop by, we miss you there man, and 2nd edition rocks. ;) On the Midnight and iron Heroes merge, one of the playtester groups has used that one, and it is said it rocked... They are evil, really, really evil, those malhavoc guys.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Nifelhein said:
how does unarmed strike gets into the book flow, I mean, is it even a feat and is there any worry about the unarmed strike of a non-monk style character.

There's the original SRD "Improved Unarmed Strike" feat. And that's about it. I'll be homebrewing an Improved Unarmed Strike feat mastery chain, which will bump up the damage dice, maybe increase the critical threat range on such a strike, etc. But other than that, the existing feat chains should also be useful for a martial artist type character.

A'koss

Explorer
EricNoah said:
There's the original SRD "Improved Unarmed Strike" feat. And that's about it.
Well, Mike did say that if he couldn't do Unarmed Combat right (meaning comprehensively, I assume), it wouldn't be in IH. I'm hoping for a web expansion covering this myself.

I'll be homebrewing an Improved Unarmed Strike feat mastery chain, which will bump up the damage dice, maybe increase the critical threat range on such a strike, etc. But other than that, the existing feat chains should also be useful for a martial artist type character.
Be sure to send it off to the "Iron League" fansite when you're done. I'm sure many will be looking for Unarmed Mastery feats before long...

Cheers!

Nifelhein

First Post
Thanks Eric, I was hoping that it would be there that way, I was also wondering if unarmed strtike is listed as finesse, power attack and the like, there are qutie some descriptors in it, also, how about the improved grapple feat, is it still around?

My main concern is exactly because i Dm a Midnight game and the defender class, while not currently in my game, is deep in the feel of the setting, allowing some kind of defender can end up being easier with the basics there.

I would love to see Eric's homebrew system too, and akin to you, A'koss, hope to see a book or web resource for unarmed combat, but with Mearls gone from malhavoc I fear it will never come to be, in fact, I fear iron heroes will be more about those three books, the adventure, minis and counters and a rare other.

A'koss

Explorer
Nifelhein said:
I would love to see Eric's homebrew system too, and akin to you, A'koss, hope to see a book or web resource for unarmed combat, but with Mearls gone from malhavoc I fear it will never come to be, in fact, I fear iron heroes will be more about those three books, the adventure, minis and counters and a rare other.
I'm certain it will see support so long as the sales are there. With the foundations of IH in place, other designers should be able to take it and run with it...

XCorvis

First Post
A'koss said:
Be sure to send it off to the "Iron League" fansite when you're done. I'm sure many will be looking for Unarmed Mastery feats before long...

Is there a website for the Iron League yet? I didn't see one...

coyote6

Adventurer
Sorcica said:
This is from memory, but somewhere it talks about an exception to the normal rules of Mastery stacking when multiclassing. Can't recall what it's about. Unless someone else with the book chimes in, the answer will have to wait approx. nine hours....

Under the Executioner's class description, it talks about how they can use Power feats with normal or finesse weapons, but:

Iron Heroes said:
You gain this benefit only with Power feats that have a mastery rating at or below the mastery granted by your executioner class levels, not by your combined mastery from more than one class.

I would presume, then, that mastery levels stack.

Somehow. ;)

(The section on multiclassing doesn't point out any exceptions, the way it does for adding up Defense scores, so I would say you just add 'em up -- a Harrier 5/Hunter 5 that chose Projectile as his weapon feat would have Defense mastery 4, Finesse mastery 4, Projectile mastery 4, Lore mastery 4, Tactics mastery 5, and whatever else at 2.)

Kaos

First Post
Nifelhein said:

After the adventure, and the rules to run it, what more do you really need? :p

(Yes, I understand that it's always good to have more... as long as it's quality, anyway.)

Remove ads