• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is 5E Special

Parmandur

Book-Friend
the math is broken it doesn't work. You can not compare being slightly better at something everyone is okay to good at to the choice to be able to alter major things...

this is why I see 10x the hexblades sword bards and blade singers then I do fighters... and i almost never see just straight fighters
There is a table for this in the DMG. The math works well in practice.

3d10 one time on one target.

2d10 one time on ine target.

2d10 one time on one target.

Crawford has spoken in the past about narrative balance, giving each Class their moment to shine. The Fighter gets theirs by chopping enemies into bits without expending resources, or skill checks.
those numbers are crazy... end an encounter is worth 2 or 3 d10...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That doesn't answer the question. You have punted to the black box. How do you, the DM, consistently avoid the Scylla of "we literally cannot afford to read AT ALL, so short-rest classes are screwed," without falling into the Charybdis of "we're fine, we can take a night to recover so we're at full strength to finish this, so short-rest classes are screwed"?
Pretty standard heist style narrative, aka dungeon crawling. Breathers are possible but if the MacGugfin isn't removed from the Hold by Midnight Lord Buttface wins.

There is a table for this in the DMG. The math works well in practice.
it doesn't work. these threads are full of people telling you with practical experance that it has broken down.

I know people are going to claim "I didn't have that problem at my table so it doesn't exist" and it is going to make me feel like someone suing for ther pinto exploding being told "I have 3 owners here who's car DIDn't blow up so that disproves what we have evidence happened to you"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
it doesn't work. these threads are full of people telling you with practical experance that it has broken down.

I know people are going to claim "I didn't have that problem at my table so it doesn't exist" and it is going to make me feel like someone suing for ther pinto exploding being told "I have 3 owners here who's car DIDn't blow up so that disproves what we have evidence happened to you"
The example is more like trying to sue the manufacturer for driving the Pinto off of a cliff.

The game works in my experience. The designers have explained their math, which was extensively playtested before release and in use for 8 years now. I'll belive my experience and math.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Pretty standard heist style narrative, aka dungeon crawling. Breathers are possible but if the MacGugfin isn't removed from the Hold by Midnight Lord Buttface wins.
That's...exactly the problem I'm talking about.

You can do this maybe two or three times in a row and have it make sense and be reasonable. After that, it becomes really blatantly artificial--and, more importantly, still punishing to short-rest classes, because if you only have twelve hours to get the job done, spending a quarter of that resting for comparatively paltry benefits (4d8 total bonus damage? Wow, that's ONE spell, three times a day!) is a massive risk for minimal gain.

So, again, you still haven't explained how this avoids punishing the SR classes, nor how you navigate the issue of players (quite reasonably) asking, "Why is it we're always doing things that have to be completed in less than 12 hours or horrible, horrible things happen? It's just really weird that it's ALWAYS less than a day away from disaster..."

Remove ads