• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is anyone sticking with 3.5?

Dice4Hire

First Post
Wow you guys have such tiny shelves :)

Seriously, I have about 3 shelf-feet of hardcover 3.5 and probably anotehr 3 feet of magazines and such. Not as much as some, for sure.

But it really does not factor into my thinking much. I put away a lot of 2E stuff forever when I took up 3.5, and I am prepared to do it again. This is still a dirt-cheap hobby, dollar for dollar.

If I like 4E so much I cannot run 3.5 again, then I get antoher storage box in my closet. One of many.

Mallus

Legend
Since my primary campaign is 4 years old, with 13th level PC's, we won't be switching More Tales of CITY to 4e. It'll remain the clunky 3.5/AE hybrid it's always been.

That said, I'm very interested in/excited by adapting my existing homebrew World of CITY to 4e. I can't wait to see how the new rules resonate w/all the existing setting fluff. It's be a new take on an old world, and that can only --hopefully?-- be a good thing.

sckeener

First Post
stonegod said:
I have enough 2/3E books that I'd beggar myself if I tried to by them all at once. But I'm still going to get 4E. Fluff gets updated, and crunch is inspiration. One group I play w/ will be 3.5, I'll probably run some 4. So its all good fun.

wow...the fluff is getting updated? I think changed is a better description. 'Updated' implies that it is a small increase in the original product. I see it as a total scratching of the old fluff with some bits left over for flavor.

I have no interest in 4e's fluff and I'm going to miss 3.5, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st edition's fluff.

Gallo22

First Post
Me (and my group of 7) are sticking with 3.25. (3.0/3.5 mix), plus we've thrown in some tidbits of Monte's BoEM and Pathfinder Alpha to iron out a few things.

With all the books and resources I/we have for 3.0 and 3.5, plus a lot of the fringe company books, we see no reason to spend any more money on a whole new edition.

Temmogen

First Post
Not switching

I'm staying with 3.5, just because I have so much money invested in it, I just don't feel like starting another collection for another edition.

baradtgnome

First Post
Not Switching yet

Our campaigns run long in real time because we only get to play about once every three weeks on average. So it will take a while before we could even consider it.

I have a homebrew world that goes back over 25 years to 1st Ed, and I see difficulty in changing the fluff and a real challenge to change the character flavor. Not an insurmountable obstacle, but one that takes time I am not sure I am ready to commit. Plus the race changes really don't fit.

More than 1/2 my players are unlikely to want to learn a "new" game system. These are my friends first and game partners second, so the actual game we play is secondary to having the folks together to have fun. The newest members of the game have been with us over seven years, and a couple go back over twenty-five.

Up until the announcement of 4E coming we played 3.5E RAW 99.9%. Since the announcement we have 'fixed' many things with house rules. Or at least as many as I could get my rule changing reticent players to swallow. So, some of the 3E issues that didn't fit our game table have been reduced (and in some cases with 4E ideas).

I'm not opposed to 4E, but realistically I am not sure the main game will go there. I may get opportunities to play it with others or side games. Of course, I'll steal good ideas mercilessly. ;)

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Sticking with my current bastardised version of 3.X
It works. Ish.
Don't fancy spending all that cash on new a new game system.
Also, not that excited by the 4E fluff or mechanics that I've seen so far.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads