• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is anyone sticking with 3.5?

Dice4Hire

First Post
I'm buying 4E core, and I will run at least a PBEM of 4E once it comes out. But I have a lot of 3.5 games going, and I will keep them going. I seriously doubt if the player or I will want to/be able to convert those games to 4E.

CleverName

Explorer
I have preordered 4e and will play and run it this summer.

I anticipate liking the new edition based on what I have read so far, but I'm not going to make up my mind 100% until I have had the time to read, digest, play and GM 4e. By August I should know. If I don't like 4e, I probably won't be "staying" with 3.5, though. There are too many other good games out there that I already don't have time to play. I don't hate 3.5 but I ran it for years, two 3+ year campaigns, etc.

My guess is that the vast majority of folks will be won over in time because I believe the gameplay and prep times will be improved. I can't imagine someone who actually enjoys playing the new game more, deciding to stick with a game that is less enjoyable.

Someone can point me back to this post in August of '09, if I am wrong, but I really believe that the vast, vast majority of folks playing 3.5 will have joined the 4e ranks by then.

YMMV.

sjmiller

Explorer
I am not staying with 3.5, but I am not moving to 4e either. We're playing what you might call 3.25, somewhere between 3.0 and 3.5. We do not plan on buying or playing 4e. Most of my group feels that 4.0 is: coming out too soon after 3.5; not needed; too much like a video game; pandering to the 'I have to be able to do something super cool every time I act' crowd; and, most importantly, just doesn't have a D&D feel to it anymore. So, we're sticking with what we are currently playing.

If we start a new fantasy game, I am leaning real hard on using GURPS. It's my preferred game system, even if I have trouble convincing my gaming group that you can play an RPG that only uses d6s.

Jack99

Adventurer
Shockingly enough, I am not sticking with 3.5.

Should 4e fail, I guess I will give Pathfinder a whirl, although I don't see it fixing the issues I have with 3.5.

joela

First Post
3.x+

Toric_Arthendain said:
So, anyone else sticking with 3.5 for the forseeable future?

I probably will. I like the system (especially after my house mods ;) ); my players like the system; and all my fellow DMs like the current system (none of us are that burnt out about it. Yet.)

I will probably be purchasing the Pathfinder RPG to mine it for ideas and to continue to support Paizo, who make excellent products regardless.

Big Bucket

First Post
3.5/Pathfinder for me. I haven't had any major issues with Pathfinder so far and it will allow our group to continue using the big stack of books we have already.

Dragon Snack

First Post
My main group is either staying 3.x (probably with some more house rules laid down) or breaking up (we aren't as tight as we used to be and we've already lost one player).

My Savage Worlds group wants to play D&D (we're getting to the end of our playtest) and 3.x will have more options available to us, so we will most likely be using it.

Ant

First Post
As long as I'm DMing we're staying with OD&D, BECMI D&D and 3.5 (which will likely shift to Pathfinder RPG). That said, I'm happy to play 4th ed. if any one is willing to DM it.

4th ed. has some cool things and I hope it succeeds but there is something at its core that leads me to no longer walk its path. I shall play my "outdated" versions and diminish ...

But, man, is it going a lot of fun. ;)

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Toric_Arthendain said:
I'm sticking with 3.5 for a variety of reasons.

1. My group doesn't want to change.
2. Everyone has plenty of money invested in 3.5 books and doesn't feel the need to drop another hundred dollars to buy the core rules for the new edition.
3. We have a 3.5 campaign going with established PCs and converting the campaign to Pathfinder or 4e would be potentially difficult and time-consuming and would change too many of the fundamental ideas of the campaign. I have no desire to retrofit new rules to my entire campaign.
4. We are all leery of the changes being made in 4e and the power level of Pathfinder seems to be too amped up for what our current campaign is accustomed to.
5. My group is content with the 3.5 rules.
6. I have enough 3.5 material (print and pdf) to run games for years.

Same here plus:

7. It's too soon to change editions.
8. The changes to 4th ed have stripped the game of everything that makes it D&D.

Remove ads