Is Ascension for me?

phoenixgod2000

First Post
I'm looking for an divine rules set that I can use to create divine powered, but non-worshiped beings similar to the planeswalkers in M:TG setting. Immortal beings that wander the layers and worlds of the multiverse working on their own plans and hunting each other when they come across another like themselves because the fasted way they can progress through the tiers of power is by stealing the might of other immortals--so a little highlander thrown in as well. Many are worshiped as gods or start philosophies on various planes, but gain little personal personal power from such worship--just servants and a bigger ego.

So would I be able to replicate this idea using the Ascension? I only ask because I worry about the Worshiper Point System part. I want their abilities to be independent of people's devotion.

The Worship Point system is there to help DMs track a rather abstract topic of power-through-worship, so your conversion is pretty simple if you don't need something like that - Ditch the Worship Points, keep Power Points and Resonance. Worship just happens to be a combat-free way of gaining power over time. (Although it is the most succeptable to interference, like your enemies killing your worshipers) You could also just limit the amount of worship points gained (characters could only gain, say, 1/10th normal, which would severely limit it) or up the points gained from slaying other immortals. The Worship Point system is pretty easy to modify or swap in and out as needed.
Heck, the Immortal's Handbook be modified to run anything from classic D&D to M:tG or Highlander to DBZ or Gurren Lagann. (Astro-Effect-Drills for the win!)
I use it in a much lower-powered-low-magic D&D setting just fine. (Where Alter-Reality is probably the biggest, most powerful thing the players would ever need to fear) So far only one person in the setting became a god (Hero-deity) and another was, for a time, an assassin who made a pact with a lower-planar fiend for power over the Skill Portfolio. (Which he freed himself of his debt at the end of the game)

Howdy phoenixgod2000! :)

phoenixgod2000 said:
I'm looking for an divine rules set that I can use to create divine powered, but non-worshiped beings similar to the planeswalkers in M:TG setting. Immortal beings that wander the layers and worlds of the multiverse working on their own plans and hunting each other when they come across another like themselves because the fasted way they can progress through the tiers of power is by stealing the might of other immortals--so a little highlander thrown in as well. Many are worshiped as gods or start philosophies on various planes, but gain little personal personal power from such worship--just servants and a bigger ego.

So would I be able to replicate this idea using the Ascension? I only ask because I worry about the Worshiper Point System part. I want their abilities to be independent of people's devotion.

I designed Ascension so that immortals (and DMs) would have three methods of advancement.

1. Advancement through worship.
2. Advancement through combat (with other immortals).
3. Advancement bestowed by other immortals (pacts) and places.

All of the above can operate in tandem or independantly.

What you seem to be looking for are the advancement through combat (with other immortals) rules. Naturally this was somewhat Highlander inspired. ;)

dante58701

Banned
Banned
It's definitely for me. I love ascension. It's a bit buggy with some of the corrections that are being made, but that's just the editing floor. Completely normal for any book.

Another topic...when is the second half of Ascension due? The monsters? Are we going to see any of those soon?

beej

Explorer
Ooh, planeswalkers! I've always wanted to play as one. :)

Just bought Ascension. Truth be told, I wasn't familiar with the Immortals Handbook 'til recently. I always wanted to run a god-level campaign though, and DDG wasnn't exactly that helpful in that regard. :( Then I stumbled upon some mention of this supplement, and from then on I wanted to get Ascension.

I'm browsing thru the pdf now, and all I can say is, it's well worth the $15 I spent. Ascension is definitely for me. Thanks, U_K!

paradox42

First Post
Reveille said:
:confused: Is the first half already available for purchase?
Saying "half" is a bit misleading since I suspect Gods & Monsters (the book dante is referring to) will be considerably smaller in page count than Ascension. But yes, it is available at RPGNow.

Ascension is basically the "Player's Handbook" of divine-level 3.5 using U_K's rules system. There were plans for Grimoire and Chronicle, which would be a book about spells and artifacts, and a book about adventures, game-running advice and divine organizations, respectively. With the impending release of 4th Edition, though, and the work on Gods & Monsters (which will contain sample deities and more new monsters in the vein of the Epic Bestiary, and used to be an appendix of Ascension), it seems most unlikely that those two will ever see the light of day.

Howdy dante mate! :)

dante58701 said:
It's definitely for me. I love ascension. It's a bit buggy with some of the corrections that are being made, but that's just the editing floor. Completely normal for any book.

Appreciate the love. The book really is very technical, lots of powers and lots of big numbers. Problems unavoidable.

dante58701 said:
Another topic...when is the second half of Ascension due?

The 'second half' of Ascension was the Gods portion of "Gods & Monsters", which features a sample deity for each divine status. Its due when its finished. Fortunately the text for that 'book' is 3/4 finished, so thats a good headstart.

dante58701 said:
The monsters? Are we going to see any of those soon?

Depends on your definition of soon.

Welcome to the boards beej! :)

beej said:
Ooh, planeswalkers! I've always wanted to play as one. :)

Just bought Ascension. Truth be told, I wasn't familiar with the Immortals Handbook 'til recently. I always wanted to run a god-level campaign though, and DDG wasnn't exactly that helpful in that regard. :( Then I stumbled upon some mention of this supplement, and from then on I wanted to get Ascension.

I'm browsing thru the pdf now, and all I can say is, it's well worth the $15 I spent. Ascension is definitely for me. Thanks, U_K!

Thanks very much for the kinds words, glad you like the book! :)

Hiya mate! :)

paradox42 said:
Saying "half" is a bit misleading since I suspect Gods & Monsters (the book dante is referring to) will be considerably smaller in page count than Ascension. But yes, it is available at RPGNow.

Ascension is basically the "Player's Handbook" of divine-level 3.5 using U_K's rules system. There were plans for Grimoire and Chronicle, which would be a book about spells and artifacts, and a book about adventures, game-running advice and divine organizations, respectively. With the impending release of 4th Edition, though, and the work on Gods & Monsters (which will contain sample deities and more new monsters in the vein of the Epic Bestiary, and used to be an appendix of Ascension), it seems most unlikely that those two will ever see the light of day.

I'm still unsure as to how the whole thing is going to unfold with regards 4E. Its unlikely I'll be able to release any 4E material before 2009.

Ideally I'd like to release 4E books and have that converted (by someone else?) into 3.5E.

4E looks a lot simpler and faster to design for. Anything that helps me release material quicker is a good thing.

That brings up the question what to do next and what to prepare for the end of the year.

At the moment that answer is simple, I'm going to finish the Gods part of Gods & Monsters (and maybe add a few monsters in the process, who knows).

After that I'll have to wait and see.

Grimoire may actually be plausible because mechanically I already have it written, so its not like Ascension where you have whole systems to incorporate its basically just new magic items and new spells (the dimensional magic 'spell system' is really simple).

The ideas for Chronicle will probably be folded into some Epic/Immortal Adventures, rather than a book on adventures.

Smaller books (or parts of books) are likely to be the way forward for me.

Remove ads