• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Conan in 5e?

By the Rippke chronology, Conan's first appearance has him clad in corslet & mail, having used a shield, and swinging a sword...

"Both were tall men, built like tigers. Their shields were gone, their corselets battered and dented. Blood dried on their mail; their swords were stained red. Their horned helmets showed the marks of fierce strokes. One was beardless and blackmaned. The locks and beard of the other were red as the blood on the sunlit snow.

'Man,' said he, 'tell me your name, so that my brothers in Vanaheim may know who was the last of Wulfllere's band to fall before the sword of Heimdul.'

'Not in Vanaheim,' growled the black-haired warrior, 'but in Valhalla will you tell your brothers that you met Conan of Cimmeria.'"

However, in his next two appearances (God in the Bowl and Tower of the Elephant) he is seen without armor and doing more thieving like activities... but those mostly consist of climbing and taking stuff, rather than picking locks or attacking people from the shadows.

I think the REH literary Conan is probably 2 levels of Barbarian, and the rest fighter, with Outlander background. In the stories, he shows signs being hard to hurt in or out of armor (though tends to wear armor if he can), has a danger sense, tends to be reckless in his attacks (at least early on). Occasionally, he seems to succumb to rage, as well. I'd say Champion is most likely where he goes, with Dueling as his style (he tends to use more one-handed weapons than anything else).

I say Outlander, because Conan always seems to know where he is and remembers almost everywhere he's been, plus never seems to have trouble surviving off the land.

And languages. He learns a lot of languages.

For stats, probably start in the range of a S 18, D 14, C 15, I 13, W 14, Ch 14 ... and his bumps drive up the Str and Con early on.

Last edited:

Remove ads