• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Dungeon any good?

Crothian

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
Dungeon Magazine is the best value for your money in all of RPG gaming. That statement stands without qualification of any kind. Period.

Disagree :D

Its fine if you want and need adventures. I've never run one of their adventure though. But there are plenty of people who really don't.

The best value for RPG gaming is EN World. It costs nothing, unless you want to donate money. :cool:

TGryph

Explorer
Not as good as it used to be, unfortunately. The new format and changes have dropped it's usefulness down a peg. I also find the adventures to be more outrageous and "over the top" than they used to be.

Now that being said, it is still a useful product and I am probably going to keep my subscription going, but it is now harder to find a useful adventure that is suitable for a lower-fantasy, lower magic campaign.

TGryph

DaveStebbins

First Post
Like scadgrad, my first subscription began with issue #1. I did not renew after the first year (#6) and did not get a subscription again until earlier this year (just before they lowered the subscription price by $5).

I am very happy with my subscription. They have changed to format so there are three adventures in each issue (one low-level, one medium and one high). I am impressed with the quality and details of the adventures. They have also ported over several GMing series/articles because Dragon is now oriented principally towards players and Dungeon is now oriented towards DMs. I think this is a great idea and like the changes very much.

-Dave

Sunderstone

First Post
Dungeon was great before. Now it's perfect.
1) No Polyhedron.
2) One adventure each month for Low-Level, Mid-Level and High Level.
3) The adventure path stuff is excellent.
4) As long as they dont do too many setting specific adventures, this book will remain perfect.

Last edited:

CombatWombat51 said:
Oh, and I certainly would stop by my FLGS and pick up a copy, but my FLGS isn't so L :( Actually, I just went there last night, and they didn't have either Dungeon or Dragon magazine! Neither did Barnes and Noble... there's a conspiracy to force me to just gamble on a subscription and hope I like it.

But the way you all seem to think, I might just have to pick up a subscription.

Just order a back issue from Paizo's online site and judge for yourself (if you want to try a single issue). However, once you add in the cost of shipping that single issue, you might wish you has just subscribed. ;)

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
It's good.

I find myself stealing individual encounters rather than running whole adventures though. I imagine as my collection increases size, it'll be a wonderful resource for when I'm blindsided with having to DM unexpectedly.

I do kinda wish they published modern and future adventures, but that's a pipe dream.

Pandion

First Post
Dungeon recently became a good magazine again. For a while Dragon was great and Dungeon sucked but now it's the other way around. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Dungeon caters exclusively to the DM now and, as a result, has some good, USEFUL articles for campaigns. Useful, yes useful!

CombatWombat51

First Post
Hrmm... I'm still torn. The people who voiced their dislikes voiced the ones that I was particularly worried about. However, the subscription price comes to about $1.11 per adventure... that's pretty hard to argue with.

I think I'll have to flip a coin or something.

Are any of the older, awesome writers still doing anything for Dungeon? Like Chris Perkins, or Willie Walsh? Troll Wrasslin'! Good times... :D

Remove ads