• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it a good idea to pull a lever in a dungeon?

Should you pull a lever you find in a dungeon?

• Yes. There is no reason to believe the lever is dangerous.

Votes: 114 55.3%
  • No. The lever will probably make something bad happen, or is trapped.

Votes: 92 44.7%

• Poll closed .

Thotas

First Post
It is never, with this little info and this little need to change the situation, a "good idea".

As has been pointed out previously, this will seldom stop a group of adventurers from needing to find out why, or just how bad an idea it might be.

Some people like summoning magic for just this reason ...

pawsplay

Hero
Hussar said:
To me, there's no difference between a lever, a door, a chest or any other fixture in a dungeon. They are all elements that are meant to be explored. I would never not open a chest just because it might be bad. After all, it might be good as well. Generally, I don't walk past closed doors in dungeons without finding out what's behind them despite the almost certainty that whatever's behind the door will want to do me harm.

Why should levers be different?

And dragons are meant to be slain, but there are good and bad ways of going about it. If the lever is there, it probably does something. But it might not be good. It may do something specific that is good in some situations or bad in others. Or it may do something good for the bad guys, but bad for you. It might be a red herring. It could be a deliberate trap.

But yes, it could cause a bowl of ice cream and some magic items to pop out when you pull it. There is always that possibility.

I don't like the "amusement park" mentality to dungeons. By definition, they are dangerous places. You don't want to know about every nast thing that exists in them. You want a good haul, or to accomplish your mission, and to get out in one piece.

Saying you're there to "explore" is barely roleplaying. Your characters would have to be insane to go doing things just to see what would happen. There is an expectation of some payoff.

"Sorry, milord, that we opened the lich's casket, releasing his evil once more into the world. Georgio wanted to know what was in the box, thought it might be interesting...."

Raven Crowking

First Post
To me, there's no difference between a dire rat, a goblin, an ancient red ragon or any other creature in a dungeon. They are all elements that are meant to be fought. I would never not attack a creature just because it might be bad.

:lol:

You know I love you, Hussar!

;)

Hussar

Legend
Saying you're there to "explore" is barely roleplaying. Your characters would have to be insane to go doing things just to see what would happen. There is an expectation of some payoff.

"Sorry, milord, that we opened the lich's casket, releasing his evil once more into the world. Georgio wanted to know what was in the box, thought it might be interesting...."

So, now it's simply wrongbadfun to pull the lever?

You never do dungeon crawls in forgotten crypts when the PC's don't actually know what or even if there is a BBEG? You never did any exploration type adventures? Every adventure must come dripping with plot, both overt and meta before it's "roleplaying"? How sad.

RC, exactly. Assuming that the creatures in the adventure are of a level that are meant to be fought, then, what's the problem. Sure, you might run from something that's obviously too big for you. But you don't just see the red dragon, shrug your shoulders and proceed on your merry way because attacking it might get you killed. Assuming you have a chance of killing it, why wouldn't you?

pawsplay

Hero
Hussar said:
So, now it's simply wrongbadfun to pull the lever?

No, it's just bloody stupid is all. If you want to play All Kender, All the Time dungeon crawls, I certainly won't stop you. I just don't see how a normal sort of character is going to make it to 6th level without some basic level of caution. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask players to respect that dungeons are dangerous, which is after all the whole point. However, if the players want to go around pushing all the shiny red buttons, I suppose that is their prerogative. I have certainly gamed with players who would ring a giant bell if they found one, but that does not mean it's a good idea.

As for dragons... obviously, you want to fight it if it's got treasure. But you want to fight and win, not fight and die.

Adventurers are supposed to level and get treasure and defeat bad guys, not run around like lemmings that have somehow acquired opposable thumbs.

I didn't say one thing about "plot." I am talking about basic cause and effect. There is a direct relationship between lack of caution and death.

"Let's go explore some caves, and die from jumping down a hole we can't see the bottom of" is just not my idea of what adventuring is about.

Raven Crowking

First Post
pawsplay said:
Adventurers are supposed to level and get treasure and defeat bad guys, not run around like lemmings that have somehow acquired opposable thumbs.

There is a direct relationship between lack of caution and death.

Well said.

Hussar, am I wrong in believing that you spend quite a bit of time DMing in a huge dungeon with lots of deadly traps, including traps that occur on the wandering monster tables? How can anyone hope to survive in the WLD unless they are careful about who/what they attack, and at least moderately cautious about where they go and what they interact with?

RC

Hussar

Legend
Pawsplay said:
No, it's just bloody stupid is all. If you want to play All Kender, All the Time dungeon crawls, I certainly won't stop you. I just don't see how a normal sort of character is going to make it to 6th level without some basic level of caution. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask players to respect that dungeons are dangerous, which is after all the whole point. However, if the players want to go around pushing all the shiny red buttons, I suppose that is their prerogative. I have certainly gamed with players who would ring a giant bell if they found one, but that does not mean it's a good idea.

But, again, you're missing what I said. I did say "AFTER TAKING REASONABLE PRECAUTIONS". No one is saying that you should never take any. The poll in no way even mentions any precautions taken. No one, other than the straw man you've carefully constructed, is trying to say that at all.

In the same way that you scout, buff, and prep for that assault on the dragon, you take precautions to protect yourself from what is quite possibly a trap. Then again, I listen at doors and check them for traps as well. But, that doesn't stop me from opening doors in an dungeon despite the fact that I know that bad things will be behind them that want to eat my character.

You still never answered the question. Why is a lever any different from any other dungeon fixture? Note, I specifically use the word fixture as opposed to creature so there should be no misunderstanding this time. Why should a lever be special when doors, pictures, windows, fireplaces etc. are all things to be explored?

"Oh look there's a passage here," says PC 1. "Never mind about that, we must stick to purely known passages because something bad might be down the ones we don't know." is the reply.

I don't adventure that way, and I'm fairly certain no one else does either.

Hussar

Legend
Raven Crowking said:

Well said.

Hussar, am I wrong in believing that you spend quite a bit of time DMing in a huge dungeon with lots of deadly traps, including traps that occur on the wandering monster tables? How can anyone hope to survive in the WLD unless they are careful about who/what they attack, and at least moderately cautious about where they go and what they interact with?

RC

Again, I never said that you should take no precautions. I specifically said that precautions SHOULD be taken. However, I also think that after taking those precautions, you should proceed.

Remove ads