• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it Dungeon Master or Game Master?

It is...

• Dungeon Master

Votes: 121 75.2%
  • Game Master

Votes: 27 16.8%
  • Something else (specify)

Votes: 13 8.1%

Zander

Explorer
Fast Learner said:

Huh? You find "Dee-Em" easier to say than "Jee-Em"? Or you find "Duhn-juhn-mas-tuhr" easier to say than "Gaym-mas-tuhr"?

How's it easier? :)

For most native English speakers, "DM" is easier to say than "GM" because the shape of the mouth and position of the tongue needed to make the "dee" sound (or phoneme to use the technical term) are closer to "em" than the "jee" is to "em".

"Dungeon Master" is easier than "Game Master" because you have to articulate more to say the latter. As has already been pointed out above, if you're not careful, the two words will merge and sound like "Gay Master".

BTW I voted for "DM". :D

Scarab

First Post
In Swedish, I say "källarmästare". Translated literally back to English, that's "basement master". :D

*checks Lexin*

"Restaranteur" in English, apparently.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
In Spain we usually says "Master". It's a foreign word for us, so it sounds cool enough, and can be used for any game, not only D&D (well, White Wolf devout players like to say "Narrador", but they're bizarre).

Wild Karrde

First Post
D&D is always Dungeon Master (DM) and for all other games it's Game Master (GM). I picked this up from playing Champions and it just stuck for all the other systems. DM is reserved solely for the game it rightfully belongs to, in my mind at least.

Don

First Post
I prefer to use the term Game Master because it hasn't been stripped of its freedom like Dungeon Master has (which is trademarked). :)

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Darkness said:
And what do you say in France? 'coz your location says that you're in France... :cool:

I live in France, but I'm Spanish.
In France they (now WE :) ) say... well, I don't know really. Maitre du Donjon I think... :confused:

Ruined

Explorer
Ah, Horatio just likes being called the 'Master'. Cool enough.

Hmm. Am I...

the Master of the Dungeon? or
the Master of the Game?

I say GM. But really, we interchange the terms out so frequently, you tend to respond to them all.

My players like the term: Exp. Miser!

UD

First Post
Well, whatever the game calls them. And seeing as this is a d20 (read DnD) forum the overwhelming result will be DM.

Remove ads