D&D 5E Is it just me or does Tiamat kind of blow in Tyranny of Dragons?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The book showed up yesterday and I flipped through it. Her breath weapons are legendary actions costing 2 each and she can use 5. So basically she has 2 breath weapon attacks in any combat unless she used more than one other LA, which also include bites so if she breathes twice she can only bite once. A regular dragon has a 5-6 recharge on breath weapons and bite is a standard attack action. She has slightly more HP than a Ancient Red, 630 to 546 assuming you don't roll the Red's HP, and only 2 more HD. Her spell casting is just Divine Word. She has a spell immunity to SL6 and lower and resistance on higher level spells which is nice. Was she statted out before the MM was finished and other dragons finished?

Just underwhelmed at the mother of evil dragons on a conceptual level.

And to head off, "Well modify her as you want for you game!" Yes I know I can but just discussing what Kobald did with her.

Edit: Doh I misread the rule which made this thread possible but totally unnecessary!

Last edited:

Boarstorm

First Post
You know that legendary actions refresh at the beginning of every round, right?

That means she can use a breath weapon (on average) 6 times more often than the red in your example.

Edit: Maths is hard.

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Really? So she can take 5 legendary actions per round? That's changes things quite a bit! Just started playing and I must have misread that rule. Well thank you. Ignore this thread then! lol

Edit: Damn how did I miss that? Its right there in the listing.

Last edited:

Tormyr

Hero
I only got to look at it at our store last night. So I am going off of memory, but she is very similar to the Tarrasque, if not more deadly. She also has regeneration which will essentially negate 1 hit per round. She gets two breath weapons per round versus 1 every few rounds from recharging, a bucket of hp, high AC, crazy stats, her bites do elemental damage, unlimited reactions, 5 legendary resistance, 5 legendary actions per turn, high AC, resistance, +19 to hit, automatic save vs stunning, multiattack. She is going to mow through a 4 person party. If you playtested 4 level 20 characters against her similarly to how people have tested the Tarrasque, I doubt the characters would live long. That is only the stuff I remember.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Yeah I now see her as an easy TPK at the end of the campaign unless they really hit all the points they need to drop her power, and then still maybe a TPK.

So the players unleashed Cthulhu in the Greyhawk game I was running before this, now probably Tiamat...

Zaran

Adventurer
I don't like that she doesn't have spells. Just because her other attacks are so much better doesn't mean she wouldn't have spells for defense.

bleezy

First Post
I actually like how she doesn't have a lot of spells. It doesn't look like she needs them. She doesn't need any offensive spell or defensive spell. She can do 8 different types of damage (some at range), flies, regenerates, has legendary resist, spell immunity and magic resist. Really, what spells would she even bother casting if she had them? 8th and 9th level stuff? The only thing she might have need for would be a dispel magic or something similar.

I was surprised to see that she lacked a poison tail.

Remove ads