Is it just me...

Lyana

First Post
Itzquahpilli said:
I really didn't want to say anything else... but I wanted to make this very clear.

This thread was NOT a cry for attention. I expected maybe twenty replies.

I was NOT asking for sympathy. I don't care for it.

I did NOT say I had trouble getting involved. I have NO trouble getting involved. All of my characters get involved in storylines. Every character that I want in a relationship is in one. I see enough action, have plenty of conversations, and have some very fun nights roleplaying. My characters are active and I usually develop or help develop stories OOC, as well as let things get altered by the flow of IC events.

All that I wanted to say was that it doesn't feel the same - like everyone's not putting what they used to into it. Like nobody's thinking any more. I know that's not true now, and that's what I wanted to know. I wanted to know if anyone felt like I felt. That's all. Sorry for the poor phrasing. Sorry that I waited until now to say this, but I got sick of reading a few things people were saying. Now, for the love of all things sacred, let this thread die.

You're a gamer. You not wanting to say anything else doesn't mean it's gonna end there. Ever.

No one ever explicitly said you were crying for attention. Wait until we do before that conclusion is jumped to. And this is ISRP, you really should have expected more than 20 replies.

Glad you weren't asking for sympathy. Considering the turn this thread has taken, sympathy lies between **** and suicide.

And no one said you had trouble getting/staying involved. If I'm not mistaken, I believe John said he had trouble getting/staying involved. That does not insinuate that the rest of the population believes that you hold the same issue.

As for players' sudden apathy/heartlessness in game, it happens. Sometimes, we're just tapped out. Other times, our hearts/minds are filled with other things. Life does get in the way and thus disturbs the RPing muses.

As for knowing how you feel and how everyone else is feeling, go back up to the sympathy line. That nearly generalizes how everyone is feeling.

Also, in response to letting this thread die: Not Gonna Happen. People, myself included, have taken this thread and turned it into a Rant-A-Thon. Hopefully, people will realize their flaws and strengths, and this place willrestore itself to the happy little RP community it once was. But, for now, let everyone vent out...as it is healthy...the rest will fall into place later.

Khaira

First Post
Wow ... everyone exploded into activity. I guess I don't have time to respond to all, but I'll respond to some...

John - While it's true I don't like repeating myself (who does?), I'm not a mean person. Though I do concede I have an ... erm ... explosive temper, but that's besides the point.

However, I don't like to think that people feel ousted by not being able to remain an active participant. And I don't like complaning, either, or this problem. Perhaps I'm a sucker, but I like to try to reach people; I haven't been told, before now, that my advice doesn't work, so I keep giving it, in the hopes that I'll reach *somebody*. Much like, when I was a newbie, other veterans offered advice to me, which did help me to become involved.

I've offered some of my old suggestions and some of my new suggestions. And i hear what you're saying about there being a problem.
Okay, let's say I concede; There's a problem, a dilemma, an ISRP-wide catastrophe. If we're going to recognize a problem - and a lot have been recognize - then the next step is a solution. What is the multi-step solution (since I doubt there's one, simple answer...nothing's ever simple. *pouts*)? What do you think needs to happen? Since suggestions for what to do in chat don't work, or don't work well, there has to be something else than can/should be done.

Dontella - A storyline thread would be great, I think. It would help a lot of people to stay organized about what's what, who's who, and who's what's are opposing what's who's, and who's what's have killed others who's at the where's and the when's. Did you follow that? If you did ... you're good! Or as crazy as I am ... which might be scary. ;-)

Fowai - Well, pink fluffy bunnies may insult the goth, who would of course prefer black, spiky bunnies, and the necromancer's, who would prefer skeletal, undead bunnies. We, of course, have the vampires, who would prefer blood-drinking bunnies. And the lycan's, who's pink fluffy bunnies couldn't change form into the GIANT MAN-EATING BUNNY! in the tavern. And we don't want to exclude anyone.

And biologically, pink fluffy bunnies are not very equipped for survival. Imagine the pink, fluffy bunnies trying to hide?
And ... er ... well, pink is just too damn BRIGHT! So there.

All right, enough pink fluffy bunnies, dammit. They're going to haunt me in my sleep tonight...

Bhryn - No, not the CHOCOLATE!!! *implodes at the thought of with holding that life-sustaining necessity of existence*

Kalreil

First Post
Thar, you never mentioned rules either, to be fair. And no, I was not saying that the vets are more likely to do it, just that they do it too.Now, without sarcasm, define crossing certain lines. Would some one one calling a character a whore whose player asked them in a PM not to do that be crossing said line?And I have had some one tell me that based on how some one plays that she is a whore OOC.To me, thats not right.That is like saying just because I play a mage that I think magic is real.
And I do hope you agree with me when I say that even if a player knows what concepts work or not, they have no right to tell others what they can or can not try.

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Note that this is not directed at Kalreil, but I'm using the post as my starting point.

Kalreil said:
Would some one one calling a character a whore whose player asked them in a PM not to do that be crossing said line?

That is against the CoC as harassment.

Kalreil said:
And I have had some one tell me that based on how some one plays that she is a whore OOC.To me, thats not right.

No, that's not right. But that's not gaming, that's someone being a jerk IRL. Much as we'd love to make sure everyone gets along and plays nice with each other, that's not always going to happen. The best we can do is try to foster a spirit of community, that we're all here to play essentially the same game, that we all love much the same thing: good stories, friendships, being able to use our imaginations. We let threads like this go on because even when some of it shows irritation and frustration, it still helps us to understand each other better and see -what- frustrates and irritates others because sometimes we don't always realize it.

The majority of players here are probably in their late teens and early twenties. This is a volatile time in people's lives and there's a lot of frustrations and irritations in real life too, no matter what age. For many, this is an escape. They don't need to be hassled. Let people have some fun without holding them to the highest RP standards. For some, real life problems may carry over without meaning to. Cut people some slack. Remember that the character isn't the player, but also remember that a bad day can make even the best player lose their temper more easily. If someone's style or mood bothers you, find others to play with. Maybe you've found some real-life friendships here or have other friends playing with you. Great! But don't turn cliquish, don't bad-mouth others, let everyone make their own assessments.

If you're not having fun here, take a step back, take a deep breath, figure out what matters to you, and then try approaching it again maybe from a different direction. See what you can change first, because that's the only person whose behaviour you can really control. That's not a Magi cop-out, that's reality. You can't completely re-make the world as you want it to be. But as you can see from this thread, sometimes taking the chance to talk out your problems can get other people to offer suggestions as well as criticisms, can get them to help and not just hurt, make them more aware and understanding.

Deirdre

First Post
Magi_Trelian said:
Note that this is not directed at Kalreil, but I'm using the post as my starting point.

That is against the CoC as harassment.

No, that's not right. But that's not gaming, that's someone being a jerk IRL. Much as we'd love to make sure everyone gets along and plays nice with each other, that's not always going to happen. The best we can do is try to foster a spirit of community, that we're all here to play essentially the same game, that we all love much the same thing: good stories, friendships, being able to use our imaginations. We let threads like this go on because even when some of it shows irritation and frustration, it still helps us to understand each other better and see -what- frustrates and irritates others because sometimes we don't always realize it.

The majority of players here are probably in their late teens and early twenties. This is a volatile time in people's lives and there's a lot of frustrations and irritations in real life too, no matter what age. For many, this is an escape. They don't need to be hassled. Let people have some fun without holding them to the highest RP standards. For some, real life problems may carry over without meaning to. Cut people some slack. Remember that the character isn't the player, but also remember that a bad day can make even the best player lose their temper more easily. If someone's style or mood bothers you, find others to play with. Maybe you've found some real-life friendships here or have other friends playing with you. Great! But don't turn cliquish, don't bad-mouth others, let everyone make their own assessments.

If you're not having fun here, take a step back, take a deep breath, figure out what matters to you, and then try approaching it again maybe from a different direction. See what you can change first, because that's the only person whose behaviour you can really control. That's not a Magi cop-out, that's reality. You can't completely re-make the world as you want it to be. But as you can see from this thread, sometimes taking the chance to talk out your problems can get other people to offer suggestions as well as criticisms, can get them to help and not just hurt, make them more aware and understanding.

Just so this thread will get recognized, because this one is so popular.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=3403356#post3403356

Tharivious

First Post
Kalreil said:
Thar, you never mentioned rules either, to be fair.
Actually, I did, in my first post on the thread, when addressing the restrictions on the tavern.

Now, without sarcasm, define crossing certain lines.
If it's in the Code of Conduct, it's crossing the lines. Simple as that. No sarcasm, no snide intent here - it really is that straightforward. The lines are drawn plainly enough, if there's question, I'm sure the Magi can address it via email. Though, again, this only provides recourse when it comes to on-site activity.

Would some one one calling a character a whore whose player asked them in a PM not to do that be crossing said line? And I have had some one tell me that based on how some one plays that she is a whore OOC.To me, thats not right.That is like saying just because I play a mage that I think magic is real.
Trelian covered this perfectly.

And I do hope you agree with me when I say that even if a player knows what concepts work or not, they have no right to tell others what they can or can not try.
Never said they have the right to tell others what to do, but they do have the right to give input - just as those receiving the input have the right to politely ignore the offered help. Goes both ways, just as we have freedom of speech (to varying degrees depending on venue, of course), we have the freedom not to listen.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Khaira said:
And ... er ... well, pink is just too damn BRIGHT! So there.

You obviously haven't seen a Pink Landrover. Hehehe they used em in the early wars, painted em pink and put them in the dessert <edit> should actually be desert, but it's ironic so I'll leave it be! coz it makes the freakishly hard to see. I believe the story was they tested a pink spy plane coz it was easy that colour to keep track of in the air...it didn't fly so good...crashed...and they never did find it. Pink bunnies + desert = nifty....I so want to say dessert there, but then I might start mortifying folks! XD.

I am a little curious, as I've habitually done up to a few weeks ago, updated the general happenings of my storyline with Ariel on the boards. For two reasons, it sets my mind straight, and it helps those involved to keep up and on track. On the other end of the stick there's several storylines that're running that I want to -watch- and cant keep up with due to not bein' able to get online enough and spy on all you folks! *sniffs* Devestating, I know. But honestly, when something interesting starts I want to follow it, when I get lost, I stop following it. Can we figure out a way for folks like me to -not- get so lost?!

Remove ads