• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is liking 4E biased by how many books you own?

Abstraction

First Post
I don't buy books regularly. Since 3E came out, I bought 4 core 3E rulebooks and that was it until 3.5. In 3.5, I bought 4 core rulebooks, 5 "Complete books", a couple environment books. All told, in the 7 years of 3.X, I have spent way more money on simple internet access than D&D.

So, with that in mind, I have to say that I am THRILLED with the news about 4E. I plan on buying the 3 Core #1s, plus another PHB for my wife and maybe one or two more PHBs for poorer members of my group so we can get going on the edition. I also currently plan on buying the continuing core books, but will have to see what they contain. NO WAY is psionics making it into my swords & sorcery.

I get the impression that a lot of 4E naysayers have a huge library of 3E books. It seems ironic that the people who are the biggest RPG spenders are also the worst foot-draggers. So, chime in. What are your spending habits and how do they intersect with a new edition? Do you feel that your spending and like/dislike are related?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I probably have about a dozen 3E and 3.5 books. It does not affect my feelings regarding 4E, pro or con. (I'm favorably inclined toward most of what I've heard about 4E.)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Abstraction said:
I get the impression that a lot of 4E naysayers have a huge library of 3E books. It seems ironic that the people who are the biggest RPG spenders are also the worst foot-draggers. So, chime in. What are your spending habits and how do they intersect with a new edition? Do you feel that your spending and like/dislike are related?

Not true in my case.

I don't have a big library of d20 System books, but I have most of the Wizards 3e D&D products - over 60 hardcovers, for a start.

Cheers!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I probably have about a dozen 3E and 3.5 books. It does not affect my feelings regarding 4E, pro or con. (I'm favorably inclined toward most of what I've heard about 4E.)

I'm staring at a dozen in arm's reach, and can lay my hands on a dozen more, easily. However, I'm still middle of the fence about it - not enough info to say I'm loving or hating; just really dubious to see how some of these elements are going to turn out.

The Little Raven

First Post
I have 60 D&D 3rd Edition books.

I have 18 Dragonlance 3rd Edition books.

I have 10 Eberron 3rd Edition books.

I have 22 Forgotten Realms books.

I have 5 Ravenloft books.

That's 115 books for D&D itself, alone (not counting other d20 games and products, or even non-d20 systems), and I will be buying 4th Edition the day it launches.

drothgery

First Post
I've got over 30 WotC D&D 3.5 hardcovers. Another 20 or so 3.0 hardovers and softcovers. Half a dozen or so 3.x non-WotC accessories. Half a dozen or so non-D&D d20 games (including a dozen or so d20 Modern accessories, and half a dozen or so Star Wars d20 Revised accessories). Two years of Dungeon magazine (nonconsecutive). And a couple of non-d20/d20-derived OGL games.

And while it's not 100% certain that I'll buy a D&D 4e PHB on its release date, it's awfully likely. I'm certainly buying at least one WotC hardcover that day; at least according to Amazon.com, Threats of the Galaxy for Star Wars Saga ships on May 20, too.

I apparently have a 'meager' selection, only about 20 hard-cover, and that counts my growing Paranoia XP collection..

The bad thing is that about half I have read through once or twice at the most. Now they collect dust on the shelf, waiting for the moment to be snatched up in response to a 'Rules' forum question :)

I am looking forward to 4E and will probably buy those books as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads