D&D (2024) Is Magical Cunning enough? (Warlock P7)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Well like I said, it's still a work in progress. I haven't quite figured out how to deal with the "everything resets to 100% after every battle" aspect of it, but it certainly does need to be dealt with. (Or not, depending on how you want the game to run. I'd prefer some kind of lasting attrition.)
Possible tweaks:

1) Roll at the end of the turn when you cast a spell. If that spell slot doesn't recharge on that turn, it's burned out until the end of a long rest. (Or short rest? Spend a different class feature to recharge slots? Maybe spend Hit Die for a more "physically channeling the spell" feel? Lots of ways to play it.)

2) Start with a d4, scaling to a d6 and a d8 as the caster level increased.

3) Make it so you have to roll over the spell slot level, not just on. That way even 1st level spells have a small fail chance.

mellored

Legend
Am I missing anything? Would it be too OP to just give Warlocks Eldritch Master at 2nd level and then give them a new capstone that isn't garbage?
You're missing the short rest recharge on other classes.

So now when the warlock says "let's take a short rest" most of the party will say "sure".

At least in theory.

ChameleonX

Explorer
You're missing the short rest recharge on other classes.

So now when the warlock says "let's take a short rest" most of the party will say "sure".

At least in theory.

How is that different from the 2014 version? Especially now that so many features have been changed to PB/day instead of once or twice per rest?

How is getting ONE use of your feature back on a short rest supposed to incentivize short rests when that's typically all you would get anyway in the 2014 game, and that wasn't enough then.

Why would it be enough now, when you have way more uses per day to spend on Wild Shape, Channel Divinity, Second Wind, etc then in 2014?

From what I can see, the Warlock, Fighter, and Monk are still the only classes in the game that are really going to be itching to take a short rest, just like it had been for the past ten years.

ChameleonX

Explorer
But the capstone is still garbage, right? 😉
A lot of them are, to be fair. The Artificer, Barbarian, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Rogue, and Wizard are the ones that have capstones that are actually good.

The 2014 Druid capstone was broken for Moon Druids, but pretty meh otherwise. The new version basically nerfed it to oblivion, though. The Ranger capstone used to be trash, but the 2024 version seems to have fixed it.

The Bard, Monk, Sorcerer, and Warlock got garbage capstones by comparison (and still do).

ChameleonX

Explorer
Bards, clerics, druids and paladins also have some good incentives to take a short rest, especially bards.
Bards, sure, but how do the others? All of them actually get MORE uses of their main feature per day now, like I said, and they only get 1 back on a SR, so how are they more likely to SR than LR?

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
So our moon druid would burn through their wild shapes like they were going out of style atheist 1 on every combat with 4-6 combats per day. Our gm isn't going to be giving us a convenient long rest time before we make it through 4-6 combats so I know that the druid atheist will be wanting 1 short rest maybe 2 even with the number of shapes being frontloaded.

Honestly I was hoping that warlocks spells move more twoars that same system.

ChameleonX

Explorer
So our moon druid would burn through their wild shapes like they were going out of style atheist 1 on every combat with 4-6 combats per day. Our gm isn't going to be giving us a convenient long rest time before we make it through 4-6 combats so I know that the druid atheist will be wanting 1 short rest maybe 2 even with the number of shapes being frontloaded.

Honestly I was hoping that warlocks spells move more twoars that same system.

It is a possible solution, but I don't know whether it would be too similar to daily spell slots to be accepted.

I definitely don't see a problem with increasing the Warlock's overall number of spell slots by like 1 or two.

Remove ads