• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is my Paladin (rebalanced) tank ready?

Skead

First Post
moritheil said:
The feat Stream suggested, Stand Still, works better if you take another feat with it called Hold the Line, which gives you an AOO before someone leaves a threatened square instead of after. Bo9S also has a stance you can get with a single level in Crusader that will do the same thing. (I would highly recommend at least 1 Crusader level if you have access to it.)

Hmmm, so let's assume we're just using the core classes and have access to BO9S, Complete Fighter, Complete Adventure, Complete Fighter, and many others. (my DM inherited a bunch of books from his friend when he stopped playing)

moritheil said:
Also, you never posted your stats; you just said you rolled well. There are some feats which are more or less important depending on your stats.

Str - 16
Dex - 14
Con - 16
Int - 13
Wis - 14
Cha - 20 (17 base, 1 for level 4 and 2 for cloak of charisma)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Ok, first off, in case you didn't know, the full name is *deep breath* Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords. Thus, any reference to "ToB" or "Bo9S," etc... is talking about the same book. IF you can dip into Crusader, I'd recommend two levels at character level 8 or 9. Level 9 is better slightly, but if you want the goodies early, 8 works.

You'll get two stances, one each level. The first doesn't matter. If you want the White Raven Tactics maneuver (and you should), take Leading the Charge. Otherwise...eh, Martial Spirit? Iron Guard's glare helps with tanking, but it's really just a poor man's version of what you get with the second class level stance: Thicket of Blades. This stance makes ANY movement made in your threatened area provoke attacks of opportunity, including tumbling and 5 ft steps, meaning barring teleportation, if the enemy wants to escape you, it's gonna cost him, big time. maneuvers chosen can be whatever. You may even want to abuse the delayed damage pool class feature with feats like Stone Power (same book), Lady's Gambit, and/or Retribution (last two fromdragon mag, summaries below).

Retribution: Much like Furious Counterstrike Crusader class feature. On your next attack against someone who hurt you (has to be your next attack and within one round), get a +1 attack per 5 points of damage dealt to you.

Lady's Gambit: Once per round, you can lose up to (character level) hit points, gaining half that amount as a bonus to attack and damage for the round. You would combine this with the delayed damage pool and Stone Power to not actually take damage.

Skead

First Post
StreamOfTheSky said:
No problem! In fact, here's some links for some of that stuff.

Knight class: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=2

Looked over the Knight class, it looks perfect!

All the requirements of a good class that can take hits and keep the attention of enemies.

Now, the Knight class uses best saves against will, but worst for Reflex and Fort. Should I dip 2 (or 3) levels into Paladin for Divine Grace (since my charisma will be high anyways) and maybe Divine Health (and Aura of Courage)?

Skead

First Post
StreamOfTheSky said:
Ok, first off, in case you didn't know, the full name is *deep breath* Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords. Thus, any reference to "ToB" or "Bo9S," etc... is talking about the same book. IF you can dip into Crusader, I'd recommend two levels at character level 8 or 9. Level 9 is better slightly, but if you want the goodies early, 8 works.

You'll get two stances, one each level. The first doesn't matter. If you want the White Raven Tactics maneuver (and you should), take Leading the Charge. Otherwise...eh, Martial Spirit? Iron Guard's glare helps with tanking, but it's really just a poor man's version of what you get with the second class level stance: Thicket of Blades. This stance makes ANY movement made in your threatened area provoke attacks of opportunity, including tumbling and 5 ft steps, meaning barring teleportation, if the enemy wants to escape you, it's gonna cost him, big time. maneuvers chosen can be whatever. You may even want to abuse the delayed damage pool class feature with feats like Stone Power (same book), Lady's Gambit, and/or Retribution (last two fromdragon mag, summaries below).

Retribution: Much like Furious Counterstrike Crusader class feature. On your next attack against someone who hurt you (has to be your next attack and within one round), get a +1 attack per 5 points of damage dealt to you.

Lady's Gambit: Once per round, you can lose up to (character level) hit points, gaining half that amount as a bonus to attack and damage for the round. You would combine this with the delayed damage pool and Stone Power to not actually take damage.

I like the ideas, but I try to stay pretty simple. There are some players in the session who are pretty "green". I try not to load them with a lot of new things.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
If you've got a high charisma, it'd be better to dip Knight and stick with Paladin than vice-versa. Note you gain the 3 key things all by level 5 -- Bulwark of Defense, Test of Mettle challenge, and Vigilant Defender. Going to level 6 for Shield Ally is ok. But if you have cha 20, you'll get MUCH more use out of it in Paladin. If you're looking to put your charisma to more use, you could always dip Marshal 1 level to get your charisma bonus added to something for you and all allies within 60 ft using a Minor Aura. The general favorite is Motivate Dexterity, to give everyone an initiative boost.

You can also find that online, here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b

That's purely optional, to use your Charisma for more. It doesn't much help you in your role.

EDIT: In regards to above. Ok, then maybe just stay one class. If you're going Knight you really won't get nearly as much out that huge charisma, though. It'll help Knight challenge save DC's, but you want to draw out melee brutes, who often have low will saves anyway.

Skead

First Post
StreamOfTheSky said:
If you've got a high charisma, it'd be better to dip Knight and stick with Paladin than vice-versa. Note you gain the 3 key things all by level 5 -- Bulwark of Defense, Test of Mettle challenge, and Vigilant Defender. Going to level 6 for Shield Ally is ok. But if you have cha 20, you'll get MUCH more use out of it in Paladin. If you're looking to put your charisma to more use, you could always dip Marshal 1 level to get your charisma bonus added to something for you and all allies within 60 ft using a Minor Aura. The general favorite is Motivate Dexterity, to give everyone an initiative boost.

You can also find that online, here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b

That's purely optional, to use your Charisma for more. It doesn't much help you in your role.

EDIT: In regards to above. Ok, then maybe just stay one class. If you're going Knight you really won't get nearly as much out that huge charisma, though. It'll help Knight challenge save DC's, but you want to draw out melee brutes, who often have low will saves anyway.

Hmmm, valid point sir.

Well, maybe 5 levels of knight, then swap into Paladin then?
If not, since the character isn't exactly made, I can move around the stats (listed below) and those don't have the level 4 bonus into them yet. How would you suggest the points are allocated?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Definitely make the 17 an 18 at level 4. If you're going mainly Knight, I'd say Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14. If mostly Paladin, your original listing was pretty good for an order. I almost forgot, one more reason to limit the Knight levels: you get free mounted combat feat, but no access to a mount that can survive a hit. granted, you mentioned leadership in the first post, so you could use that. Otherwise, what did you plan to take as a cohort?

Skead

First Post
StreamOfTheSky said:
Definitely make the 17 an 18 at level 4. If you're going mainly Knight, I'd say Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14. If mostly Paladin, your original listing was pretty good for an order. I almost forgot, one more reason to limit the Knight levels: you get free mounted combat feat, but no access to a mount that can survive a hit. granted, you mentioned leadership in the first post, so you could use that. Otherwise, what did you plan to take as a cohort?

I plan on taking a Griffin as a Cohort.
Or perhaps something you could suggest better? :D

Remove ads