• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is my Paladin (rebalanced) tank ready?

Skead

First Post
Ahhh, -2 to hit, ontop of -5 possibly from Combat Expertise. Getting pretty low on hit. Maybe it's best to stick with the Heavy Steel Shield.

Skead

First Post
roguerouge said:
How about Short haft, which allows you to shorten up on a reach weapon and attack right next to you? Great for the Knight, if you dip into that class.

I won't be lancing much. It really would be "sword and board" and then "challenging" the rest of the party goes all out.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Skead said:
So far my build looks like this, let me know if you guys disagree or can improve.
First, gear. Yes, Tower Shield's -2 attack is probably not worth it, I'd stick with Heavy Shield.
Mithral Fullplate: Make sure to pick up Dex +2 soon, for the max dex bonus the mithral's giving, till then it's a money waste.
Natural Armor: pick up a ring of defelction +1 first. Same price, protects against more attacks.
Bracers of Protection: What are these? If they're Bracers of Armor, they don't stack with your fullplate.

Keep in mind for future purchases: If you want to upgrade economically, do so in this order (I'm assuming you swap nat armor for deflection): Natural Armor +1 (2000); Armor/Shield +2 (Shield first if you have Shield Ward, +3000 to upgrade); Dexterity +2 (4000); Dusty Rose Ioun Stone (5000 for a +1 insight bonus); Armor/Shield +3 (as before for order, +5000 to upgrade); Deflection +2 (+6000 to upgrade), Natural Armor +2 (+6000 to upgrade); and so on....

Your currrent AC is very good. My friend uses as a guide, if your AC is roughly your ECL +20, you're doing just fine.

Classes: Which do you want to take at level 1? Paladin gives the best skill list (and you get x4 points at first level), Knight gives a maximized d12. Fighter offers nothing at first level the other 2 don't, I'd make that your level 2 or higher.

Feats: Why Dodge? Unless you're going down the road for a feat that requires it, it's just not a very good feat (unless the DM typically only throws one bad guy at a time at you). Improved Natural Armor gives +1 AC versus everyone (a human counts as having nat AC +0 normally, so you can do this), if you must burn a feat on a bonus to AC. I generally spend feats on tricks and offensive damage, and use money for AC, since (as I showed above) improving AC with items is very easy. On the other hand, it's generally expensive to raise offense with items. I would not spend a feat on great Fortitude. Paladin and Fighter dips are already giving you an extra +5 (and your charisma) to it. Will save's the most important for a tank, so you don't turn on the party. Even then, don't take Iron Will, just tell the mage to keep scrolls of protection from evil on him. It stops domination spells from affecting you long enough to kill the caster. Also, your saves are ALL very good, even reflex. (It does remind me, a +1 resistance bonus to saves is a steal at 1000 gp, make that one of your next buys.)

Feats to consider:

Daunting Precense (Libris Mortis): Gives you a 30 ft range fear attack. Targets one foe, DC 10 +1/2 character level +cha mod (18 right now for you), or be shaken for 10 minutes. This is very handy, especially to later combine with Intimidate/the mage's fear spells for stacking fear effects. Standard Action.

Martial Stance (ToB): Even if you don't want Crusader mechanics, you can take this feat at level 9+ to get Thicket of Blades stance, which is WORTH two feats on its own. And that's all you need. One Devoted Spirit maneuver (see next) and this.

Martial Study: Any Devoted Spirit maneuver w/o requirements. Best choices (with earliest available level):
Foehammer - 1/battle standard action, ignore DR and do +2d6 melee damage (level 6+)
Shield Block - 1/battle immediate action, give adjacent ally your shield bonus +4 to AC against any attack (level 6+)
Crusader's Strike - 1/battle, standard action melee attack. Does normal damage and heals 1d6 +1/2 level (max +5) to an ally within 10 ft (or you). Have to attack foe with a different alignment than you. (level 2+)
Vanguard Strike - 1/battle, standard action melee attack. If it hits, allies get +4 on all attack rolls against target till start of your next turn. (level 2+)
Listed in order of usefulness/simplicity.

Stand Still: You already know why this is good.

Improved Trip: On rounds you go full expertise, you can still make the touch attack for a trip easy enough. If you win, they go prone and you get a free attack (with prone bonus).

Exhausting Defense (Dragon mag, or p. 43 of crystalkeep): Tactical feat, needs Dodge. Basically gives you options to wear out a foe who fights you for 3+ rounds straight, might fit your character image. I call it the "Rocky" feat. ^_^

Combat Reflexes: If you get Thicket of Blades at some point, or ever plan to use a reach weapon or get enlarged, it really can help you keep enemies under control.

Close Quarters Fighting (CWarrior): Fighting in the front, it always helps to have an "ack! monster's gunna eat me!" defense.

Backstab (Dragon mag or crystalkeep p. 37): Requires Combat Reflexes, get an AoO on a foe you're flanking that doesn't attack you.

Defensive Sweep (PHB 2): Need BAB +15, but when you can take it, combines with Thicket of Blades to create a "lose-lose" situation. If they move away, they suffer an AoO, if they stay still, this feat cause them to draw one, too. Evil, huh?

Combat Panache (PH 2): I love this tactical feat for any high cha fighter type. The tactic of main interest is Sneering Glower. The round after damaging a foe, you make Intimidate check as Move action to make them suffer your cha mod as a penalty to attacks against you the rest of the combat. Sexy.

Able Learner (Races of Destiny): If you're going Human, consider this feat. It lets you buy up cross class skills at a 1-for-1 rate (the maximium ranks remains half, though). Let's face it: Knights get a HORRIBLE skill list, and you'll be getting 4 points/level. Why not use your huge charisma and invest in Use Magic Device? Even with an armor check penalty, Tumble's nice to have. And so on...

Handy link: http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Feats.pdf

Has all the feats I named (except ToB ones), and many more.

moritheil

First Post
StreamOfTheSky said:
Your currrent AC is very good. My friend uses as a guide, if your AC is roughly your ECL +20, you're doing just fine.

Interesting. I use ECL *5 as an AC to shoot for, but that's only really valid at level 8+.

StreamOfTheSky said:
Backstab (Dragon mag or crystalkeep p. 37): Requires Combat Reflexes, get an AoO on a foe you're flanking that doesn't attack you.

Remember, Knights cannot in any way benefit from flanking (though they can allow allies to benefit.)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
moritheil said:
Interesting. I use ECL *5 as an AC to shoot for, but that's only really valid at level 8+.
Well, to be fair, his is just a rough estimation, and it isn't as useful to go by at high levels (not that AC 40 at level 20 is bad, it's just not "tank" caliber).

moritheil said:
Remember, Knights cannot in any way benefit from flanking (though they can allow allies to benefit.)

The point isn't to be better at flanking. The point is protecting allies, possibly a Rogue who's using you for sneak attack (Knight can still give allies flanking, as you said). It's just another way to force foes to attack you.

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
StreamOfTheSky said:
The point isn't to be better at flanking. The point is protecting allies, possibly a Rogue who's using you for sneak attack (Knight can still give allies flanking, as you said). It's just another way to force foes to attack you.

I can understand the motive, but I'm pointing out that mechanically it won't work unless your DM is willing to look the other way. Going from what you posted, you have to be able to benefit from flanking for that feat to trigger, and doing so violates your Knight's Oath.

Remove ads