• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

StarFyre

Explorer
See, this is why I ignore all things Planescape.

Why would the Queen of the Abyss, Takhisis, have her plane on Baator? That makes zero sense. Heck, pre-Planescape, Dragonlance didn't even have a Hell.

So this is explained in Planescape and i use much of the 2e expanded lore (planescape) as the basis for my games but i recall back then at conventions etc a lot of hardcore fans of the setting, FR, DL, etc didnt like what planescape did.

One of the planescape books explained the beliefs of the people from those settings. Basically, Krynn is like a younger world and has less super archmages. they arent as experienced in relation to exploring the planes, etc. Thus. people from krynn believe and say takhisis is in the abyss cause to them all those planes are the same. In reality, they are wrong, Takhisis/tiamat is in Baator. It then talks about all the settings. Dark sun, toril, greyhawk etc. Essentially, anything that is a reality they dont understand on krynn, they just say Abyss.

Any of the planescape books, then use this as their basis. its one reason why planars call people clueless who are not from the planes.

Further details of the multiverse and its creation are hinted/talked about in other planescape books, culminating in lore in Dead Gods, Die Vecna Die, Guide to Hell...

NOTE: im not saying you should like it. im just saying this is how TSR retconned/reconciled all the content into a whole. I personally do as i need all that type of deep multiversal lore/where magic comes from, etc for my campaign (which im sure most games dont need to delve into) so i like this basis it gives instead of having to make it all up. that said, i do borrow some stuff from 3e/4e and intermix - just 2e planescape is the basis. Im looking fwd to the dragon book as dragons are one place where i could use some suggestions on fitting some of their lore so ideas here may help :)

regards,

SF

JEB

Legend
They just changed Ravenloft a fair bit, and it was well received. It isn't changes that are a problem, but the nature and execution of the change.
Well received by folks who had only casual interest in classic Ravenloft, or actively disliked aspects of it that were changed in the reboot, perhaps. The reception among Ravenloft fans who really liked the old setting was decidedly more mixed.

That said, I do agree that the nature and execution of the change is what ultimately matters. But changes that work within a familiar framework seem to be better accepted than changes that completely throw out the past. (5E's success at bringing back lapsed fans, vs. 4E's alienation of established fans, seems partly attributable to that.)

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
Any of the planescape books, then use this as their basis. its one reason why planars call people clueless who are not from the planes.

The thing with Planescape is that is a series of condescending books written to tell DMs they are wrong and that Planescape is the actual truer truth of all truthiness (TM) in D&D. If the books were less condescending, perhaps I wouldn't be complaining here, :LOL:

StarFyre

Explorer
The thing with Planescape is that is a series of condescending books written to tell DMs they are wrong and that Planescape is the actual truer truth of all truthiness (TM) in D&D. If the books were less condescending, perhaps I wouldn't be complaining here, :LOL:
oh which is fine. as i said. i like the changes/retcon and in a way i think it makes sense. its like real life.

many cultures used to think the sun moved around the earth - until it didnt. We used hydrogen in blimps, until we didnt. Plague doctors used to think the smell/scent is what passed illnesses (hence the bird masks where they put flowers and spices in the beak to try and keep the air fresh around them), until they didnt.

I never thought of it like that- i thought the 'ridiculing' of clueless on krynn, toril, etc was the point and understood until i went to conventions and many fans of the settings (i am too. I LOVE the settings, but when it comes to their gods, such as Ao, Highgod for krynn, etc the basis planescape put forth helped me reconcile stuff moreso so i use that) really didnt like it. either it was like you were putting down those fans or you were just not bothering to find a more complex way to incorporate their ideas. its messy.

I think the designers for planescape were different than mnay of the setting books and if the bosses asked them to reconcile it, its not going to make everyone happy. If you follow films, Kevin Feige is probably thinking how is he going to manage to bring the Xmen into the MCU since he has challenges there (which are worth a hell of lot more money due to how much the MCU makes). this isnt new, especially as lore expands out.

shrug :)

SF

Well, there's big burly barbarians walking around wearing very little clothing in each world, and in a large sense they are all the same basic form and function. So... are all of them actually Conan?

The simple thing being, I am unlikely to run a game that jumps between worlds. So, linkages across worlds are not useful to me, and I'd prefer they not be linked, so that they could have different function more easily.
Then do that, nothing is stopping you.

i mean this was WotC story for 3e, 4e, and 5e (DMG), why are people getting back in such a big fuss now. Heck, even KB said Eberron was always party of the larger D&D multiverse. Did any of those affect your games before? I’m guessing not, so it should be a big deal now should it?

I find it ridiculous not to link Tiamat with Takhisis, but if they official lore said otherwise that would be fine. They would still be linked for me.

Is the point thought that the planescpse books are wrong, they people of the planes just don’t realize it.

Remove ads

Remove ads