Is Primus a Great God or Overgod in 5e?

hawkeyefan

Legend
Divine ranks mattered directly to PC and NPC Clerics because in prior editions (i.e. 2nd) a deity's rank determined what the maximum spell level it could grant to Clerics - don't have my book in front of me, but it went something like Demigods could only grant up to 5th level, Lesser 6th level, and Intermediate and Greater gods 7th level (7th level at the time being the highest level spells for Clerics). So it mattered game-mechanically what the rank of the god your PC Cleric worshiped was.

Okay, right. Thanks for the answer...I was genuinely curious. Now that you mention it, I do recall those kinds of rules from the older editions. Much like racial level limits, my group pretty much always ignored them.

Same thing with a lot of the Planescape rules for magic. If you’re X number of planes away from your deity, you cast spells as a Y level cleric, where Y equals Level - X. All of that was far too fiddly for us.

I don’t think anything remotely close to such codification has been added to deities and planes in 5E though, has it?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Okay, right. Thanks for the answer...I was genuinely curious. Now that you mention it, I do recall those kinds of rules from the older editions. Much like racial level limits, my group pretty much always ignored them.

Same thing with a lot of the Planescape rules for magic. If you’re X number of planes away from your deity, you cast spells as a Y level cleric, where Y equals Level - X. All of that was far too fiddly for us.

I don’t think anything remotely close to such codification has been added to deities and planes in 5E though, has it?

I've not seen anything like the diminishing clerical power from 2e in 5e. It was also something that I ignored. Also like you, I ignored the max spell level for clerics of demigods and lesser gods and the demihuman level limits, though to be fair, I don't think we ever hit the level limits when we played 2e.

Remove ads