Is switching hands a free action?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Edit: Then again, on the same page, "Light Thrown: ...but some powers let you hurl several of
them at once or in rapid succession." This seems to point out that they intended to let this apply to thrown weapons. Otherwise, Quickdraw becomes a "feat tax" to use those powers (such as Blinding Barrage, Rogue 1), which is one of those "taboo design" things.

The Load quote certainly doesn't apply to thrown weapons, since they don't have a Load quality; you might be able to stretch the "hurl several in rapid succession" quote into a rule letting you draw them as a free action, though it requires a fair bit of inference and wishful thinking, especially since none of the powers actually say they let you draw extra thrown weapons as a free action.

And it would still only apply when using a power that has multiple targets, and (unless they're magic weapons) you throw all the weapons you draw... so you still end up with an empty hand, and no rule saying you can draw as a free action to replace the last one you threw...

-Hyp.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The 4e light shield is the sort that allows you to hold, but not use, an item in your shield hand. (In 3e there was also a buckler that let you hold & wield a weapon in the same hand, it's gone in 4e).

I don't think switching hands is a big issue. In fact, I think it's more a matter of having a hand available for what you want to do. If you're holding a weapon and wearing a light shield, you have one hand available to hold (but not use) a second weapon. If you're holding a weapon in each hand & wearing a light shield, you have no hands available for other things, but you can wield the weapon in the non-shield hand. If you throw that weapon, you now have a hand available. If you want to wield the other weapon, you can, because it's a one-handed weapon, and you have one hand available for weilding weapons. Since you're now wielding it one-handed, the shield hand is no longer required to 'hold' it, so you now have a hand free for holding-but-not-wielding.

That's a long winded way of saying what's I'm guessing is really meant to be very simple: you don't have to worry about which hand you're using to do something, just whether you have a hand available to do it.

Enaloindir

First Post
Once the character gets a magic dagger, he/she can throw it, and it will return before the next throw or strike (if any). So, no need for drawing an additional dagger or switching hands with it. Judging it to be a free action seems fair to me.

- Enaloindir

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Once the character gets a magic dagger, he/she can throw it, and it will return before the next throw or strike (if any).

Assuming he's making ranged attacks.

Any magic light thrown or heavy thrown weapon, from the lowly +1 shuriken to a +6 perfect hunter’s spear, automatically returns to its wielder’s hand after a ranged attack with the weapon is resolved.

The rogue with one magic dagger for Blinding Barrage (a close attack, not a ranged attack) is technically out of luck.

-Hyp.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The rogue with one magic dagger for Blinding Barrage (a close attack, not a ranged attack) is technically out of luck.

That's covered under the FAQ too.

FAQ said:
14. I am using a magical thrown weapon as part of an area of effect power. If I am attacking multiple enemies within that area, do I need multiple weapons, or will one suffice?

One is enough in this case. Magical thrown weapons return to you after each attack, so you’ll be able to use it against each enemy as part of using your power.

This works because close powers create an area of effect. (page 52 phb)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
That's covered under the FAQ too.

But what the FAQ says ("Magical thrown weapons return to you after each attack") is not what the PHB says ("returns to its wielder’s hand after a ranged attack").

It looks like the person writing the FAQ made an assumption based on faulty memory without checking the rule.

If an FAQ answer said something like "Many of the rogue's powers require a light blade, such as a rapier, shortsword, or scimitar", would that make the scimitar a light blade? Or would it indicate that the person writing the answer had misremembered what group scimitars fall into?

-Hyp.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
It looks like the person writing the FAQ made an assumption based on faulty memory without checking the rule.
Or maybe the person writing the FAQ answered thinking about how the rule was supposed to be written instead of the way it is in the PHB where they forgot to include area attacks. I guess we'll have to wait for either an errata to the PHB or to the FAQ.

Yair

Community Supporter
Assuming he's making ranged attacks.

Any magic light thrown or heavy thrown weapon, from the lowly +1 shuriken to a +6 perfect hunter’s spear, automatically returns to its wielder’s hand after a ranged attack with the weapon is resolved.

-Hyp.

The guy is planning of using two Daily-power daggers. He throws one, and then the other on the next rounds, using both Daily effects in the same encounter, while keeping his Minor actions available for other uses . At least, he wants to have this as an option.

Jimmy_631

First Post
I don't think switching hands would be a free action.

PH 267, Minor Action "...pulling an item from a pouch or a sheath, ...picking up an item
in your space or in an unoccupied square within reach."

PH 267, Free Action "...dropping a held item, letting go of a grabbed enemy."

I would argue that tossing the weapon from one hand to the other always takes time in the movies and could be a little tricky to pull off. I would also argue that taking an item, any item, from your hand requires about the same effort as picking that item off a table your standing right next to. I would also argue that a samurai type guy could draw his sword from his sheathe and attack faster than you can switch the mouse to your other hand and click reply.

Dropping an item is a free action, so letting go of the item in your left hand is free action and picking up an item is a minor action, so taking the item with your right hand would be a minor action.

The references to thrown weapons, ammunition and magic versions on this post are all incomplete. Look each one up yourself and as a whole, there doesn't appear to be any discrepencies nor do they suggest that switching hands needs to be a free action.

I was referred to this post by Tony Vargas, who in our game wants to walk around the dungeon with a light shield and long sword in one hand and a javelin in the other. Then after throwing the javelin, ready the long sword as a free action. I don't believe that should be a free action.

Remove ads